Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. W

Steady Thumping From Left Rear (Stopped or Driving)

Well it comes on even woth just the ignition on. Thanks for the suggestion though. However, it was the rear blend door after all. It was making two different sounds, but after tearing it apart, the blend door actuator was making a thump with the ignition on, and banging when the rear fan was on
  2. W

Steady Thumping From Left Rear (Stopped or Driving)

I have a 2006 Ford Explorer with a steady thumping coming from the back rear quarter. I don't believe it is the fan blend door issue, as that is a separate thumping that I can change with fan speed. Sounds like the fuel pump to me, but wanted to check to see if anyone had more than my guess...
  3. W

Parking/Emergency Brake Goes Down, but Won't Stay Engaged

The parking brake on my 2006 Explorer XLT compresses when I step on it, but it won't stay locked into position. The cable and spring look fine from inspection, but I'm missing something. Any idea what happened? I have never fixed parking brakes on a rear disc brake vehicle so I'm in the dark as...
  4. W

Reverse Gear Issues - What Does it Mean?

My 2006 Explorer XLT, 4x4 'clunked' into gear yesterday. A cold front had come in, dropping temps to 20 degrees F, so I thought it may have been thick fluid. Since then, when I back up and turn, initially it feels like the driver's side hub sticks, as it resists turning at first, then goes...
  5. W

Suggestions for Stereo/CD replacement?

I have the stock AM/FM/CD/MP3 player in my dash. CDs are getting stuck in the unit more frequently and it's just a matter of time until one doesn't eject at all. Anyone have a good replacement unit? I've seen all sorts of "compatible" units, but not sure about them. While all the bells and...
  6. W

Should I attempt to replace the spark plugs on my 4.0L or let the dealer try?

Thanks guys. While I would not call it "easy" or a "10 minute job", they came out in one piece after soaking in PB Blaster, working them in an out, and stopping and starting to resoak some of them. I definitely should have replaced them sooner as the factory recommendation is too long. Lesson...
  7. W

OK, point taken :) I just saw the 4.0L listed on various websites, such as http://repairpal.com/spark-plugs-may-be-difficult-to-remove-293
  8. W

Just hit 99,000 miles on my 2006 XLT 4.0L 4x4 and was about to do the 100k maintenance. However, I noted that there are all sorts of warnings about spark plug breakage. I called the dealer, and they said it's really a V8 issue. Should I attempt?
  9. W

Help - Fuel Filter Clip went flying

Given how hard it is to find one of these, it made me consider buying a 3D printer and scanner to be able to make extra set. I have seen posts from others that broke the inlet side clip (red), and they had the same problem - only Ford has the part, and you have to buy the entire fuel line.
  10. W

Just to close out, here is what it looks like in place. Definitely not what I saw included in any of the filter packs, or in the Help! packages at various auto stores. However, I will look further into http://www.fordpartsgiant.com that swshawaii suggested. A HUGE thank you to all of...
  11. W

SUCCESS!!! After many prayers (!) I used a mirror and did a last ditch effort to find that pesky missing clip. Here it is! Now I just need to get it back on the vehicle without losing it again...
  12. W

I agree, the clips "should" be included. However, here is what I found: Wix - no clips Fram - wrong clips Motorcraft - NO CLIPS! AutoZone - wrong clips
  13. W

I am really not sure either. Some of the fuel filters have clips as you show, which I believe are too thin in width. However, if I understand the design of these - the purpose is to be just the right width to apply the correct pressure laterally to keep the metal flange of the fuel filter...
  14. W

I can't get the picture to post. Here is a good writeup and pics http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233823
  15. W

Perhaps. I will look into it. Here is a pic of the red side: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233823
  16. W

The part from the ford dealer was wrong. I need a whole new line- $207 AND IT WON'T BE AVAILABLE UNTIL APRIL. I am going to try junkyards but I was warned that it will be near impossible to find one. After years of loyalty to ford, this may be my last after this experience. ..
  17. W

Thanks for the link, but I still don't want to buy yet another filter hoping the clips are there. And yes, they are needed. I long for the days when a hose clamp was all you needed!
  18. W

I am still dead in the water. .. Wix - no clips Fram - wrong clips Motorcraft - NO CLIPS! The Ford dealer was not much help. I have a set being shipped from detroit. 3 days! Plus, there was no pic of them so it is just a guess. HOW CAN FORD NOT SELL THE PARTS FOR A SIMPLE FILTER CHANGE...
  19. W

That makes a lot more sense. I'll swing by and pick up a WIX today. Thanks!
  20. W

I am in the middle of replacing my fuel filter on my 2006 Explorer 4x4 4.0L. I removed the red clip, then when I squeezed the green clip, it went flying and I can't find it. I'm dead in the water until I get a new one. Autozone was no help. Is this dealer only?
  21. W

Battery Keeps Dying - Battery, Alternator, or Voltage Regulator???

I didn't charge my battery overnight and took it back to have it checked by another Les Schwab (the one I usually deal with). This time, I watched as they performed the test. The test came back with 220 CCA, and they replaced the battery. So far, it runs much better. However, I still have...
  22. W

They checked the system while running and "under load". The readings were 13.4v and 13.0v, respectively. I should have checked what "under load" meant, but I assumed it was with the lights and A/C on. However, with the daytime running lights, the change between the 2 values seems consistent...
  23. W

I have a 2006 XLT Explorer 4x4 4.0L I have been having trouble keeping the battery charged, and I am not sure if it is the battery or charging system. The battery is 2.5 years old. At first, it was slightly harder to start (an extra crank), so I thought it might be bad fuel. The battery...
  24. W

"Powertrain malfunction indicator" (wrench light)

Any recommendations for a code reader? I was shocked to see the cheapest one for $60, and up to $250. I'm old school. The only way I ever read codes was to count the sweeps on a voltmeter. Can that still be done? Also, I haven't had any problems since the original, but I'll see if I can get the...
  25. W

Suggestions of Tint? 15% All Around?

Looks great, although I don't know how you see out the windows! Of course, I'm over 40, so I can't see much anymore... The costs are better than I would have thought. Thanks!
Back