Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Why are Ford Explorers so easily "given up" on?

My 04 EB the engine went south 2 week ago. At 120K I pulled the engine, did full timing kit, all new bolts, head gaskets, head bolts, harmonic balancer and new water pump. When I pulled the engine the rear cassette was shattered and the balance shaft tensioner was broke in half, not worn thru...
  2. S

compressor clutch cycles every few moments

On most Fords, your need at least 26psi to keep the low pressure switch in a closed to have clutch in-gaged. I try to keep low side pressure at 30-35 psi at idle. Do have a full set of gages (low side & high side w/ a fill line).
  3. S

New pullies, do you use the stock washers when reinstalling?

Throw away the washer, it has no real function.
  4. S

How many miles has your Timing Chain Rattled

Already pulled the heads. Could not get the left Cassette out and do not want to drive the new one back in. This way I can install the cassette before I put the head back or file the head to get clearance to allow the cassette to just slide in. I already planed on changing the head gaskets, good...
  5. S

How many miles has your Timing Chain Rattled

Pulled the engine on my 4.0L 2004 EB w/120K yesterday. I opened it up today, found rear cassette broke into 4 pieces. Balance shaft tensioner broke in half, not worn down. Left cassette was in good condition and primary tensioner was in very good condition. I am doing a full kit plus head...
  6. S

What is the average age of people on the forum????

I will be 65 in May and going to pull my 4.0L starting Monday morning. I told my wife this will be the last one I will do. Next SUV will be a V8. No more engines w/chains in the back.
  7. S

Ball Joint Replacement Question

1st question- did you have a normal tire wear or were they really bad looking. 2nd question- have the upper control arms been replaced before, if they have been you can just replace the ball joints. If not you will need to replace the upper control arms with a good non-Ford replacement. 3rd...
  8. S

I'm new here at the forum*

Welcome to the gang.
  9. S

Motorcraft synthetic blend oil 5W20

Good choice for oil. use Motorcraft filter. Best price for both is at WALMART.
  10. S

Swaying at high speeds

You need to keep at least 35 PSI on all four corners. I run at lots of roads in the south & west that are 65-75 mph. The only time I do notice sway when there is a strong cross wind or BIG trucks fly pass.
  11. S

The Jerry Can... Red..sometimes...should always be metal...

Just a reminder. Gasoline- RED or class 3 label, Diesel- YELLOW, kerosene- DARK BLUE
  12. S

Part nr or direct link

DANA SPICER 28068X. kit w/ 2 nuts & washer. 4wheelparts.com or dennysdriveshaft.com. YUKON gear and Axle list some parts thru retailers.
  13. S

Tail pipe leaking water. Blown head gasket?

Check the thermostat housing where in bolts to head. The O ring goes bad, the plastic also goes bad and starts to leak. If you replace it, DORMAN parts has the Ford/Motorcraft replacement. Also check the drip hole at the bottom side of the water pump, the fan will blow coolant all around the engine.
  14. S

Finding the chirp - Pwr Strg pump?

I had a 4.0L in my 2000 XLT that did the same thing. I did everything I could do to stop it from chirping. I replaced the harmonic balancer. It never had a chirp again. It only takes a fraction of an inch wobble where the belt rides to create a chirp. If you a good mechanic you can change it...
  15. S

Running board removal problem

I would just use a 4" grinder with a cutting blade and cut the head of the bolts off. You could cut the brackets close to the frame.
  16. S

timing chains on the 4.0 SOHC

When you do make sure the chain guides have already been done.
  17. S

Please assist with removing ball joint from spindle

I use a 2 legged 6 inch gear puller.
  18. S

How to: SOHC V6 Camshaft Timing

The tool you are looking for is OTC 303-634. I have one and used when I did my 2000 4.0L
  19. S

Replace ball joints or the whole control arm.

Do the ball joint route. It is pretty much a waste of time to do just the uppers. You will need to use a ball joint tool set to do the lowers correctly anyway. If you do all four ball joints then you will be able grease them. You will never have to replace any of them as long as you own the...
  20. S

Emergency: Spark Plug Blow Out

There is no easy way to get around this issue. You stand a good chance of having an engine fire, running on 7 cylinders will cause an imbalance and damage the engine. Early 4.6/5.4L engines only have 4 threads to hold sparkplugs in. Using a helia-coil repair will not stay in place. The correct...
  21. S

DOHC 4.6L V8 build

If you go the route of having the valve guides replaced, have the machine shop install the 9 thread sparkplug inserts. They are the time certs that are locked in place, will never come back out. I was going to have that done on my brothers 5.4L in his work van.
  22. S

Cant find rear end gasket...

You can buy gasket material by the roll at any auto parts store. I keep a roll at my brothers shop, I just used some for his 9.75" when I replaced a wheel bearing. RTV is ok when everything is new, clean and has time to setup. I make a gasket and glue it to the cover with high-tack glue.
  23. S

Hood Paint Chipping/Bubbling-Bug Guard or Plastidip fix?

The problem is under the paint. If you coat over the factory paint it just may keep peeling off. I had to replace my hood with a steel after market.
  24. S

How to: 2002 Explorer rear wheel bearing replacement (pictures)

I buy almost everything from ROCKAUTO. I would stick with the TIMKEN brand. TIMKEN was probably using F.A.G. bearings long before anyone took notice. SKF is a very good brand also and you will pay more. Do not buy any bearing that does not say it is a tapered roller bearing. Ball bearings do not...
  25. S

How Many Miles Before Your 5R55 Transmission FAILED

My 2000 XLT: 123K and 170K My 2004 EB: 90K
Back