Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. V

Should both rear wheels move?

I get to close my own thread out! I was able to attach a universal gear puller to the rotor and gently tightened it to expose the back lip. I inserted a flat breaker bar between the axle and the back lip of tghe rotor. It popped the rotor from what was a 'welded' emergency brake pad to the...
  2. V

Thanks Josh! Haven't driven it in a LONG LONG time. Coming off a major rear and front timing cassette 'saga' that has taken me to remove one head, replace a camshaft, fabricate a tool that would depress the valve springs (because apparfnetly Ford doesn't make the tool anymore that does it on...
  3. V

I have the X jacked up in the back. The truck is n neutral. I was able to spin the rear left wheel freely but the right wheel when it is up in the air doesn't budge at all. I've been trying to figure out if it was a transmission issue (wasn't sure the range indicator was properly...
  4. V

Please help me start this thing up!

Yup, just put a brand new battery in it the other day. Readjusted the range sensor today but that didn't solve the problem. I'll check the brakes tomorrow. This sounds silly but I wonder if it might have been shifted into high or low 4 wheel drive without me knowing it, although I didn't...
  5. V

Yup, it has been sitting inside the garage since March of 2011. The good news is that the mileage now looks better for the year of the vehicle;) Zerodevil - That's exactly what I was looking for! It seems like that is what is happening...it's just not syncing up with where the shifter is...
  6. V

Teejay - You know I checked that...only AFTER pushing on the darn thing for 10 minutes:D It wasn't on, thankfully!
  7. V

After over a year saga fixing my timing chains...this thing started back in April of 2011...I am actually ready to light the candle on this puppy;) The thing I'm struggling with is that I can't seem to engage the transmission into neutral. The shift indicator inside the vehicle goes to N...
  8. V

SOHC 4.0 general engine timing - TDC

Sedition - I love the hex wrench idea! Good thinking. I'm going to give that a thought. I have the timing tool but that crankshaft timing tool is basically garbage. If the angle of that tool is a fraction off (and it's hard to figure out what is the right application) it throws the angle...
  9. V

head gasket and timing chain

I had something similar happen to my 02 recently and I had to remove the head. I thought of everything but I couldn't figure out how to push up the valve stem through the hole, compress the spring, insert the valve stem keeper (the little fluted ribbed cap that fits on top of the valve and...
  10. V

SOHC 4.0 general engine timing - TDC

After a LONG time working on replacing both front and rear timing cassettes (and not working on it over the Winter) I'm finally at that point where I'm in the last week of this project:) I would like some advice before I turn the key. I have timed both camshafts and I think I have it right...
  11. V

How to "rotate" the camshaft?

StoogeFan...you DA MAN!! Thank you so much for the quick reply. That's exactly what I thought I should be doing but I tend to put a little too much "meat" on the end of the wrench and always live to regret it:D
  12. V

Anybody have a picture of right camshaft correctly timed?

Hey guys. Trying to see if anyone out there has a picture of what the right camshaft on a 4.0 SOHC looks like correctly timed when the cam timing slot is horizontal to the head mounting surface? I'm curious where the camshaft lobes are when it is in the correct position. I find it hard to...
  13. V

So if I understand what you're saying, you literally were close on having the cam's "timing slot" line up (horizontal to the head) and then just clamped onto the camshaft between the lobes and 'rotated' the camshaft until you could fit the timing tools into the end of the camshaft opening...
  14. V

Sorry for yet another question on timing these darn 4.0 SOHC camshafts... Here's where I find myself: The #1 piston is at TDC. The left camshaft is exactly where I need it to be. The timing slot on the left camshaft is below the axis of the camshaft, the timing "nub" is where it needs to...
  15. V

What needs to be hooked up to shift tranny?

So with the rear tires up in the air the front tires would roll freely? Not sure if this makes a difference or not but its one of those auto 4WD models. Thanks.
  16. V

IZwack - Now that made too much sense when I read it! :) That's why an extra set of eyes/hands always makes sense when you're getting tired. Thanks!
  17. V

I made the mistake of not putting the transmission in neutral before I started to disassemble engine components. Now I'm in need of moving the Ex back several feet so that I can manuever the engine hoist in order to yank the engine out. What minimally do I need to hook back up in order to...
  18. V

Currently Shopping - V6 vs V8

No question! Hands down the V8. I have an older 5.0 V8 that I bought because guys told me it was bullet proof...and they were right! On the otherhand, my 2002 V6 has been NOTHING but troubles. I've loved the ride because of the rear IRS but everything other than that has been a problem...
  19. V

Transmission Flush

Kevin512 - I would STRONGLY considering not getting it flushed unless you've had it flushed at regular intervals along the way. If you're at 155,000 and have never had an issue...don't chance it. I had a tranny flush at around 50,000 miles and didn't do it again until 110,000 miles and that...
  20. V

were is the transmission dipstick

truborich is giving GREAT advice here. Listen to him. I have an incredibly well maintained 2002 EX that I had a transmission flush at 50,000 miles and unfortunately I didn't think of doing it again until around 110,000 miles. I NEVER had a transmission issue, as it got very little 4 wheel...
  21. V

2002 Explorer - Motor mount question?

I'm ready to pull the engine on my 2002 Explorer AWD SOHC 4.0L and I have a question about the motor mounts. On the right side of the engine, I believe you have to take the nuts off two (2) vertical bolts. On the left side of the engine, it's an entirely different set up. Other than one...
  22. V

Torque setting for 4.0L cylinder head

Hey guys. Looking for the numerical torque setting for the cylinder head bolts in a 4.0L V6. The manual gives an initial setting and then directs you to turn another "90 degrees". I can't believe that this is very precise, especially when I've always felt that getting the cylinder heads...
  23. V

How can I move my Ex with engine partially out?

Hey guys. I apologize for asking this, as I saw this months ago but never realized that I would need to deal with this myself :) I pulled my 02 in the garage and unfortunately put it into park. Now that I have the right side of the engine basically torn down and most of the fuel system and...
  24. V

click clack rear passanger side?????

When you say rear of the passenger side...are you saying somewhere in the wheel area? Is it a metallic type sound? Does the sound keep pace with the vehicle...speed up/down? Not sure if this could be it but I had an issue with my passenger side rear caliper clip that somehow worked its way...
  25. V

Electrical problems.

Ken - I feel your pain. I too own an 02 XLT that has had almost every electrical problem in the book. Once I joined this forum I was able to start knocking some of the problems out one at a time. This was literally after spending thousands of dollars at my Ford dealership for them to "poke"...
Back