Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. F

2001 XLT 5.0

We picked up a new to us 5.0. It had an electrical short that was causing the alternator to charge at 22 volts. After a few weeks of beating my head against the wall, I found it and removed the hackery that was causing it. now the fun can begin. I built a tube front bumper to replace the...
  2. F

Alternator charging 20 volts

I recently picked up a fairly clean 2001 5.0 XLT for cheap due to it having an electrical problem..... I had to put a different battery in it because it had smoked the other one. I started trying to chase the problem down and determined that the voltage regulator must be fried as it was...
  3. F

1998 5.0 #mamabearstomper

My bride had a ‘99 4.0 SOHC Explorer when we got married back in ‘03. We sold it back in 2013 to finish paying for a Cummins rebuild in a ‘96 Dually we bought that was blown up. This winter she was missing her Explorer pretty badly. So I started looking for a 5.0 unit. We ended up with a ‘98...
  4. F

Poor Man’s RZR build

In the fall of 2017 the state transportation department decided to use salt on the highways instead of sand. My daily driver is a ‘71 F250 4x4 with a Cummins that I am slowly fixing up. Driving it in the salt would destroy any progress I could make. So I decided to buy a salt eater beater. Forum...
  5. F

Dana 44 Knuckles on Dana 35 TTB

Alright, I've been researching this for about a year off and on. It appears that there are several ways to get the longer spindles and bigger brakes of the Dana 44. I read one on Ranger Station where the guy had used the Dana 35 knuckles with Chevy Dana 44 spindles out including the Chevy...
  6. F

Re-geared 8.8, do I need the tone ring

So I got the 4.88s and tru-track installed in the rearend of my ‘94 Explorer yesterday. I realized I had forgot to transfer the tone ring over from the original carrier. My explorer is an automatic. The ABS has been deleted. Do I need this tone ring for my automatic to shift correctly? I’ve...
  7. F

Sway Bars

So I just lifted my EX 3" and mounted up 32" tires on the factory aluminum rims. before full turn lock the sides of the tires rub on the front swaybar. I have been toying with the idea of removing the front swaybar and leaving the rear installed. The rear suspension flexes fair, but the front...
  8. F

3" lift completed

Well, I finally got all the pieces together. The poor ol' Ex was sagged out worse than I thought. I had the rear leaves re-arched and a second leaf added to support the ends of the main leaves to prevent another banana incident. Then I cranked up the torsion bars trying to be careful to stay...
  9. F

Small lift completed.....

I finally got around to lifting my wife's Explorer......I did the torsion twist to about 1.5" and had the rear springs re-arched and a full length add-a-leaf included in the pack. It looks a ton better. I may try to get a smidge more height out of the front after the rear settles in some. I...
Back