Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 9

Muffler idea's for a 98 5.0

Don, by some odd coincidence, I had a video come up on my youtube suggestions tonight. A magnaflow engineer made the exact same claim; that being the muffler will flow better than a straight pipe at high flow rates.
  2. 9

That sounds like a lot of work. You will probably have to cut it open and then weld it back closed, and who knows how it will sound when its done.
  3. 9

PCM tuning options

Ok, Lasota sounds like a no brainer then. Paying for an experienced tuner is something I do consider worthwhile because it can cost you a whole lot of money if the engine melts from a crap tune. I am planning to keep the bottom end stock, maybe cam/heads, but most likely a supercharger of some...
  4. 9

PCM tuning options

What’s out there these days for stock 5.0 PCM tuning options? I have an old SCT X3 with tunes from Henson Performance but I believe those are as good as useless now since he is no longer doing tuning? I would like the option of being able to do my own tweaking but still use a software that has...
  5. 9

I just ordered up a Borla last night before seeing this thread. The Borla is supposed to have relatively low drone at cruise but a nice growl. I got a dual 2.25” in with single 3” out. Going to make my own pipes out of aluminized since I have a lot on hand in 2.25 and 3. I am using v band clamps...
  6. 9

Replacement hub mounting bolts

Thanks all. Any bolt of the same grade would likely suffice but I like the flange head style of the stock bolt. Those are a little harder to find. With the original bolt I can torque it to the book spec and know I am good. I am converting a XLT 5.0 2wd to AWD using the old setup from my Sport.
  7. 9

I didn’t find the part number but solved my issue in a different way by obtaining some used factory bolts.
  8. 9

Does anyone know the ford part number for the three bolts that hold the hub to the knhckle? Or perhaps an aftermarket OEM alternative? I am in need of replacements. I scoured this site and others to no avail.
  9. 9

5.0 Explorer cam options

I would just like to add that I ran the 35-349-8 comp cam in my sport like Boomin’ has. I always felt like it lacked grunt up top in the RPM range. It pulled like hell off the line but seemed to struggle once out of first gear and running higher RPM. I had the TM headers and 3.73 gears with a...
  10. 9

PTU Problems

It is definitely a bit concerning. While the dealer is taking care of me and replacing the PTU and part of the transmission case under warranty, it just makes me wonder when it’ll happen again. I am going to inquire with them about PTU fluid change intervals for increasing the lifespan. I have...
  11. 9

PTU Problems

Anyone ever have a PTU explode? I bought a 16 limited, CPO with 32k miles back in December. It’s at 33k now. Today I was cruising at 60 and felt a few light lurches, almost as if the engine was misfiring. I turned off cruise and coasted for a little bit and it was still doing the same. I pressed...
  12. 9

'99 Explorer LS Swap Finished - Was has anyone done it?

Nothing really new to update. It’s cold and snowy right now so all the car projects are hibernating. I will be doing dyno tuning in the spring to get it running better. It runs pretty poorly right now. I am also battling some cooling system issues but that could partially be related to the tune...
  13. 9

Balance Shaft myth debunked!!

You need to plug the open oil passages where the balance shaft bearing blocks bolt to the block if you do that. If not, the motor won't last long. While I sold my 99 XLT last october, it is still running great 8 years later without a balance shaft. My cousin is driving it as his first car.
  14. 9

Thanks. I hear you on the ford vs. chevy thing. It was hard to come to that decision. It makes me a little sad but then I floor it and the sadness goes away. :D That sounds like a cool build but very challenging. I know many have talked about doing a 4.6 over the years but I don't believe I...
  15. 9

Sorry, guys. I haven't been real great about supplying info on this project. It is a large project but really wasn't that terrible. What made it terrible was me pulling the 5.0 out and having it on the track with the 6.0 in ~3 weeks. haha I did complete a good chunk of the fabrication and...
  16. 9

Ranger Winch Bumper fits Explorer?

Awesome. I'm excited to start fitting it up!
  17. 9

Turdle found another option that I have now ordered. It is a weld together winch bumper kit designed specifically for the 2nd gen explorer.
  18. 9

Ok, so what i'm gathering here is that from an overall width and mounting pattern standpoint, it will fit. I may need to just drill new holes or mod the mounting plates some to get the height right. That's not too bad. I don't mind doing a little cutting and welding. I just really don't want to...
  19. 9

LED Pods in fog light holes?

Buy some pedestal mount LED lights, drill mount holes and wire them up to the stock wiring. If you remove the stock fogs there is a nice flat surface to mount lights to. The trick is getting the spacing right so the light is centered in the bumper cover openings.
  20. 9

I came across this winch bumper for a ranger. Does anyone think it would fit up ok to a 2nd gen explorer? My gut tells me it would be pretty dang close. I wouldn't be opposed to a little modding but if it's going to be way off I may as well build my own from scratch...
  21. 9

98 explorer solid axle swap

If you need flex, then SAS, because a lifted torsion bar explorer is way stiffer in front than the leafed rear (all swaybars disconnected). As a result, the whole vehicle leans with the terrain that the front is driving over. I had my 99 xlt with one rear wheel in the air doing a descent once...
  22. 9

Binding issue

Give it a look tomorrow and look for something obvious. Hopefully moving things by hand can give you some idea of where the binding is. Biggest thing is to make sure it is snapped into the diff housing all the way.
  23. 9

Binding issue

I have heard of people running longer bolts but I am not sure if that will be enough to go up 1.5". You may need to search around or post up in one of the normal sub forums for opinions.
  24. 9

Binding issue

I wouldn't worry about those gaps. That isn't enough to cause it to slip a flat. I have never indexed bars so i'm not fully certain on what the possibilities are there.
  25. 9

Binding issue

That looks just fine to me. The new arms could have the hex part welded in a little different than the stockers so I wouldn't worry too much about needing to be adjusted a little differently to achieve the same height. You may run out of travel to get the lift you want though.
Back