Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 9

PCM tuning options

What’s out there these days for stock 5.0 PCM tuning options? I have an old SCT X3 with tunes from Henson Performance but I believe those are as good as useless now since he is no longer doing tuning? I would like the option of being able to do my own tweaking but still use a software that has...
  2. 9

Replacement hub mounting bolts

Does anyone know the ford part number for the three bolts that hold the hub to the knhckle? Or perhaps an aftermarket OEM alternative? I am in need of replacements. I scoured this site and others to no avail.
  3. 9

Ranger Winch Bumper fits Explorer?

I came across this winch bumper for a ranger. Does anyone think it would fit up ok to a 2nd gen explorer? My gut tells me it would be pretty dang close. I wouldn't be opposed to a little modding but if it's going to be way off I may as well build my own from scratch...
  4. 9

SCT Pro Racer Software, Henson Performance

Hey all, I have some old SCT X3 tunes that were done for me by James Henson. They are .LL3 file types. I am wondering if I would be able to modify these tune files if I purchased the pro racer software. If not, does anyone know if James is still around in some capacity and would be able to...
  5. 9

'99 Explorer LS Swap Finished - Was has anyone done it?

Go go gadget flame suit :D Has anyone ever done a Chevrolet LS series motor swap in their 2nd gen explorer, or any gen explorer for that matter? I know it is a popular swap for fox body cars. Links or pics would be appreciated. The google didn't yield much. I saw a thread with an 01 sport...
  6. 9

Hard warm starts 1999 4.0 SOHC

Hello, For the past year I have had a warm start issue with the SOHC. It starts perfect every morning. It also starts just fine after sitting all day at work. It only has issues starting when warm. It will crank for an extended period of time (5+ seconds) before starting with a bit of a...
  7. 9

Front brake squeal....or not??

Ok guys, I am at a loss here. I replaced the front pads and rotors in my dad's 99 mountaineer V8 AWD. The pads are ceramics from Napa. Everything was great until a couple days afterward, it developed a loud squeal. I narrowed the noise to the front right wheel. The squeal does not occur...
  8. 9

Inner Rear Fender Rubbing with 33's

Hey guys, I recently had my explorer (99 XLT) out on the trail for the first time. When flexing out the rear fully (with no swaybar), the tire began to rub on the inside face of the rear fender. I have 33x12.5x15 BFG AT with 15x8 4" BS Cragar soft 8's. For lift I have the TT, warrior...
  9. 9

99 4.0 SOHC Block Heater Installation

Hey all, I recently ordered a freeze plug engine block heater for my 99 4.0 SOHC. I am going to install it myself and was wondering if anyone has done this before and could offer any tips? Where on the engine was the factory installed 4.0 SOHC block heater installed? I have never knocked...
  10. 9

5.0L V8 Swap into 99 Explorer Sport

This swap, although a simple bolt in, is quite a task. I am going to try and complete in one week, and I believe it to be very possible. I will try to address any issues I faced with this swap. I will not go into extreme detail when it comes to basic stuff. If you plan to attempt a swap such...
  11. 9

Tranny to block bolt size (5.0)

Does anyone know the thread size for the tranny to block bolts on the 5.0 in our X's? I would rather have somone tell me than drive 20 miles just to grab a bolt of the engine, although I can do that if necessary. I want to bolt my 5.0 to an engine stand, and need longer bolts than those that...
  12. 9

2 axles..swap gears?

Ok, here's the deal. I have a 4.10 ratio open diff axle in my Sport right now, and I have a 3.73 limited slip axle in my donor mountaineer for the V8 swap. It has been suggested to me that I should be running 4.10's with the V8 for good acceleration, but I want the capabilities of a limited...
  13. 9

4dr fuel tank in 2dr

Will it work to put a four door fuel tank in a two door explorer? I am considering trying this when i do the V8 swap, but I haven't actually done any measuring and was wondering if anyone has tried it. Thanks
  14. 9

PATS Question

I might be buying an Explorer or Mountaineer to use for a 5.0 conversion at the salvage yard. The problem I face is that the yard probably doesn't have keys for these vehicles. I want to be able to start the engine so I can make sure it runs, but have no clue how to start it. Does the...
  15. 9

Buying a spray gun- which one?

I would like to do some painting this summer, and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on which gun to buy. I would like to spend around $200, but preferably less. I also would like the highest quality gun gor the money. It would have to spray primer, base and clear, as I do not...
  16. 9

Engine died at idle, T-stat stuck open

A few days ago, after driving my explorer for about five minutes, I let it idle in the driveway for about another five, and then i heard an abnormal clicking from under the hood. I opened the hood with the engine running, and the noise seemed to stop. About five seconds after I closed the...
  17. 9

Erratic temp gauge when cold outside

When it is cold outside(20F or less), my engine never quite gets up to temp. I noticed that today, when the temp outside was -10F, that when idling or coasting, you could watch the temp go down. Also when the heater was on, it would stay down(about a quarter of the way up). This is not...
  18. 9

'99 Ex and Mounty Airdam

I know that there is quite a difference between the '99 Explorer and Mounty's bumper, but I was wondering if the EE airdam would fit the mounty bumper with some slight modification. Also, if you don't think that this is a good idea, feel free to say so. I don't think that anyone has tried...
Back