Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. F

Recycled my lights/Filled holes

Had this idea a long while back. I have a 99 explorer XLT and i use to have a 1996 X with the same rectangular fog lights. Except i would wire them as seperate aux apart from the existing aux switch for the fogs. Too bad explorers didnt come with upfitter switches lol Nice stance btw
  2. F

1999 4.0 "Bird Chirping Sound" What is it? Help!

Mine has been making the same "chirping" sound also. I noticed that it goes away after driving for a few minutes and letting some oil splash around. The cam sync is really burried in the back under the firewall. I have about 111,000 miles currently
  3. F

Does this part exist??

Hello. I am looking to add some underside protection to my truck. '99 ex XLT OHV Particularly the transfer case. I know the rangers came with a variety of skid plate options. I obtained a transfer case skid plate from a ranger. The hole pattern matches, however, I noticed that the explorer's...
  4. F

Adding 2 more Fog Lamps

First off, if this has been discussed, please provide a link :) Ok, I would like to be a little different and use the stock fog lamps from say a 1996 Explorer XLT and install them on my 1999 XLT. Mine already has the standard fog lamps which are placed on both the far right and far left in...
  5. F

Torsion Bar 101, Everything you Need to look for!

Went down a horse trail for the first time with my ex..... hit a rock that was hidden in a puddle... and well the rock fought back. Ripped off that nice piece of metal that covers the rear mounting point of the front right torsion bar. Very easy to replace but man did i feel it yank
  6. F

Jurassic Park...The SUV!

This is a SICK explorer. Its not everyday you see the JP color schemed ones. Very good job.
  7. F

Alex's 1999 Explorer XLT

That looks intense at first glance But once you to stop to think about it, its not that bad. Did you have to buy that bread board separate?
  8. F

Alex's 1999 Explorer XLT

Wow its really cool to see someone do the 4 fog lights on the front. I want to do the same on my 99 XLT but would like to use the fogs off of a '96 XLT. They are rectangular and should fit just fine in that opening on the bumper. @DAWGPACK, im still not sure how to go about doing the wiring for...
  9. F

spare tire question.

I have a 99' XLT. The spare tire is there and the TIRE looks like its fresh out of the mold from the factory. The wheel however....... well lets just say its seen better rust free days. I was thinking of going to a pick n pull and getting just a new wheel. Preferably one of the steel rims used...
  10. F

gas filler neck leak ??

Its the most convenient coincidence that i am having this same problem. Infact my check engine light had just came on. My buddy has a OBDII scanner and went thru the system for me. turns out its a P0455 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected Gross Leak. The gas filler neck has more...
  11. F

5th shock?

Well as far as ive read, 96-99 have it. The sports do not have have. Im not sure about the SportTrac or mountaineers tho. I would imagine that the matching year Mountaineers would have them since the frame and drivetrain is the same
  12. F

5th shock?

ok so i saw the link that JCat posted. I have a 1999 xplorer XLT and it has 5 shocks also. When i bought it, she needed new ball joints and shocks. The shop only replaced 4 shocks. me not knowing that it had 5. So i dont think they will replace the 5th unless you suggest Better picture of 5th...
  13. F

Has anyone had the driver's seat bottom cushion webbing break?

Here is the bottom of my driver seat. I have a 1999 XLT
  14. F

You can see all the way on the right that the coil spring has popped off
  15. F

Sure. As far as the reclining goes, i have seen posts on this forum with that issue. The lever assembly with the sping can be taken off from the side of the seat without removing the seat itself. that just makes it easier to work with however.
  16. F

-Your Explorer-

Which Explorer do you own (year, trim, engine, drive)? 2. How much did you pay for your Explorer? 3. How many miles did it have when you purchased it? 4. How many miles does it have now? 1) 1999 XLT 4x4 4.0 2)$5,000 3) about 84,000 4) about 90,300
  17. F

I'm hoping to find an answer. My doors won't open or close.

First of all, how do you know it runs great if you are unable to get inside it??
  18. F

Heres the solution. Notice the white PVC pipe. Its between the steel frame and the cushion. This is on the back of the seat.
  19. F

@Team Chepsk8: Thanks a bunch for posting this. My ol man kept complainin how he never had enough "support" for his rear in the driver seat. this is what happened I solved this by inserting two 6" pieces of 1 1/2" PVC pipe for added support against the cushion.
  20. F

1999 4x4 ?s

I have a 1999 explorer XLT 4.0 with the standard 4wd features. My question is tho, when i shift to 4wd lo does that lock the back or front wheels? also does it lock the diff or do the hubs lock. I am aware that something engages because when i put it in neutral to shift to lo i hear the...
  21. F

Red "X" formed by brake lights

When I was moving the cars in my driveway, my buddy noticed a red X on the ground behind my truck. approx 4ft off the rear bumper. When i took my foot off the brake pedal it went away. Apparently its formed by the tail brake lights. I have a 1999 Explorer XLT. My moms got a 2005 Xplorer XLT and...
  22. F

A/C Compressor Question

I have a '99 Explorer XLT 4.0 and am having the same problem. Ive checked the pressure in the lines with one of those convient a/c coolant kits you can get at pepboyz, autozone, etc. It says that the pressure in the lines is where its suppose to be and checks out ok. Yet the compressor still...
Back