Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. W

stupidly connected the battery the wrong way

Hey sorry. I would usually reply faster but I didn't see the notification in spam! I was lucky in that I realised my mistake just before I turned the key. I saw the smoke and ran back to the battery to disconnect. So in the end the voltage regulator inside the back cover of the alternator was...
  2. W

5R55W Drain Plug

Hi, I want to check the level and top up if necessary. BUT the refill plug is seized inside the drain plug. Looking on EBay I can find some 5R55S or 5R55N plugs but no 5R55W plugs. There is also one that claims to do all three. Isn't the sump deeper on the 5R55W hence the drain plug may be...
  3. W

Ford Explorer Coolant

Hi, I need to replace my coolant. The problem is I am in Ireland and Ford Europe have different coolant specifications than Ford USA. In the past, Ford USA had green (Premium) and yellow (Premium Gold) while Ford Europe tended to focus on green but did have yellow too.. even if the WSS and...
  4. W

Ford Explorer Alternator / Generator test results

Sorted. I read another article suggesting the Voltage Regulator is toast if you even "whisper" reverse polarity to it ;) So I ran through some tests that confirmed it was gone. I took a chance that the Rectifier could cope with any +/- voltage given thats its job and I purchased a Regulator...
  5. W

Hi, Thanks for your thoughts. I agree the test was not great. Just continuity check with DVOM and voltage test of the supplies. I've since take the unit off the car and cut the end part of the wiring harness too to assist testing. I've then soldered two wires on to supply the field...
  6. W

Hi Y'all, Sorry for repeating this but I posted on the tail end of another thread and got no suggestions yet so I thought it might be wise to start a new thread. Anyhow - long story short I have installed a new european spec battery into my explorer and DOH ... reversed polarity. I suspect...
  7. W

stupidly connected the battery the wrong way

Hi All, :( Yesterday I replaced my Ford Explorer battery with one obtained in Ireland in a car parts shop. Stupidly I never thought to check that the terminals were in the places I ASSUMED they were (of course they were not!). I seated the +ve lead and as I attempted to push the -ve Iead on...
  8. W

Chassis VIN number help is needed.

Okay --- lets try this image thing again: Here is what seems to be a VIN plate on the upper out-side of the right sub frame .... in line roughly with the front door handle! Anyone know if this is the standard way Ford do it or is this the European 'Fix' / 're-stamp' that people are talking...
  9. W

Okay - 2.5 hours later after scouring every inch I have found a tag. Bearing in mind my truck is Right Hand drive UK spec, this picture was taken holding the camera down low (in line with the drivers door handle), and looking up to the side of the steel box-beam frame. It was all but...
  10. W

Hi, I have exactly this problem. I have imported a 2002 3rd Generation Explorer. Uk Spec from UK into Republic Of Ireland. I have the car raised and searching for the VIN stamp. No luck! It has just failed its first road safety test due to this issue. Guy says I must find where it is - the one...
  11. W

Harmonic balancer failure

Hi, looks really good StreetRod. I am located in Ireland with the only 3rd Gen Explorer here (As far as I know) and I have the chirping/Squealing. I only have the truck a couple of weeks and want to do this. Looking at the picture of the crankshaft & chain pulley after you've removed the...
  12. W

4WD Not engaging?????PLEASE HELP????

Slightly different question: Can/Should this car be brake tested on a roller? I will have to do a road-worthiness test in the next couple weeks. Normally they use a roller but for certain 4x4s they are supposed to do a road test with a decelerometer inside the car. I've seen people...
  13. W

UPDATE: Road Test. So I found an area with a decent covering of green slippy moss & foliage. Mind you only about 100 foot of runway and as I've discovered this beast can haul ass - so not a lot of room! In 4Hi, on the 2nd attempt, the front wheels lifted the green stuff off the ground and...
  14. W

Thanks Again. Although I think I've taken 3 steps forward and 2 steps back in terms of knowledge. LOL So with control track, the hubs must be normal hubs and neither manual nor auto locking.. right? Which vehicles do have ESOF then? I innocently assumed the buttons = ESOF, shift stick = not...
  15. W

Thanks for the speedy reply. Are you certain of that? From reading a fairly detailed description (here), the electromagnetic clutch is only used to bring the front axle to the same speed as the rear axle progressively.... if of course the transition to 4wd is being done at speed. I can...
  16. W

Hi Folks, I am new here and living in Ireland with what I believe is the only (or one of very few) 3rd generation Explorer XLTs.. I need your help. I just purchased my truck (4.0L SOHC XLT) and am very happy with it but I know the 4x4 is not working. If I engage either 4Hi or 4Lo, the correct...
Back