Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. F

Heater blowing out top vents

Same issue here on my 2015 PI. Usually stuck on defrost, once in a great while will go to floor but never ever the vents. I will need vents for AC soon.
  2. F

How long will it last?

At that mileage you should have serviced the transmission 2-3 times by now per Ford's recommendation. Also the diffs at least once.
  3. F

Headlight Replacement

When I worked at a dealer (20 years ago) everything motorcraft was 100% or more markup. Prices should drop after the new models roll out.
  4. F

Headlight Replacement

Seems reasonable to me considering its just some plastic molds and cheap electronics. Remember the dealerships mark everything up 100%+.
  5. F

Got my all terrains installed

Looking good it doesn't seem like many people put A/T's on this gen Explorer. I wish we had a little more wheel well to work with can't fit much tire in there.
  6. F

How many miles is too many when buying?

I've owned an Explorer for the past 6 years and just bought a newer (2015) one. I would recommend these SUV's to someone who is a little mechanically inclined with an attention to detail.
  7. F

How many miles does your 5th gen Explorer have?

2015 Explorer PIU 3.7L AWD 104,000 miles. 2013 Taurus PIS 3.5L AWD 145,000 miles.
  8. F

PIU Towing

My PIU came with the factory hitch hidden behind a panel in the rear bumper. Looks like it's never been used.
  9. F

Overall Interceptor Reliability

Yes everything but the spotlight, but they added a center console. It's a pretty blue, I have pics but don't know how to post to this site. Police Interceptors have idle hours and total engine hours on the display.
  10. F

It was U.S. Border Patrol unit bought from a fleet sales outfit in Minneapolis.
  11. F

That said, I'm on my second Police Interceptor. My first one being a 2013 Taurus AWD. Sold that one with 145,000 miles. My current 2015 Explorer has 103,000 miles and came with an outstanding service record from the federal government.
  12. F

That is ENGINE run time and can not be associated with VEHICLE mileage. It is a common misconception that many people make. The engine is only a piece of the vehicle, and these engines are not showing excess cam wear or timing guide wear from 10,000 hours of idle. The water pump however seems...
  13. F

Police Interceptor Utility Photo Thread

I read some comments on Ford titling the cars and selling at auction.... I bought my 2013 Taurus Police Interceptor at auction it was used by the MN State Patrol and it had never been titled, it came with Certificate of Origin only. I was the first person to title the car in 2018. My current...
  14. F

Coil and spark plug replacement

Always use Motorcraft plugs on ANY Ford V6 or V8 engine. For wires use whatever brand you want but do not buy the lowest grade or cheapest. I've wasted lots of money here over the years. Buy one good set and take care routing them. As far as coil on plug, I like the ACCEL ones.
  15. F

180,000 and going strong!

182K on my 2005 Explorer. Just got done replacing the rear window hinges and a fresh Spring detail and wax job. She's had a whiney rear end and a 3-4 shudder for the last 5 years, still driving it 300+ miles a week my daily driver. Replaced the front wheel bearings a couple times & all 4...
  16. F

What is the BEST transmission fluid for a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT???

So how do all of you check your fluid levels and add if there is no dipstick or fill plug?
  17. F

Larger Tires

As an Explorer owner for 4 years of one just like yours, same color and all (miksu) I'm not believing.
  18. F

No ABS, RSC, or A4x4 - light flashing 8 times - Help!

Replaced both front hubs and bearings and sensors only in the rear. Both rear bearings feel tight. My cheap scanner only reads engine codes. 8 flashes of the 4x4 light means something, that is my only clue.
  19. F

Larger Tires

They are rubbing I know they are lol. Look great though. I went with 245's and they rub at full turn. Got 60K out of them though. Now went back to stock 235's. My speedo was more accurate with the 245's, have gps to verify.
  20. F

Larger Tires

They are rubbing I know they are lol. Look great though. I went with 245's and they rub at full turn. Got 60K out of them though. Now went back to stock 235's. My speedo was more accurate with the 245's, have gps to verify.
  21. F

No ABS, RSC, or A4x4 - light flashing 8 times - Help!

2005 Ford Explorer 4.0L Auto OK winter is here there's 2 inches of snow on the ground this morning. Got new tires last week so the only thing left is to fix this issue. No Auto 4x4, No RSC, No ABS, all those lights are on and 4x4 light flashes 8 times. Replaced all 4 wheel speed sensors...
  22. F

How to diagnose which wheel speed sensor is the bad one?

Probably. No time to search or wait for parts, gotta take what's available.
  23. F

06 Explorer abs light, traction light, wrench, locking brakes

You have to realize that Timken is a Chinese company....
  24. F

I don't know what brands they are, both fronts are different brands now. The brand that failed with 35K was bought at Auto Value for $145 in December 2014.
  25. F

On another note, I replaced the RF wheel bearing (again) this morning. The damn wheel was about ready to fall off! Just replaced it 23 months and 35,000 miles ago!
Back