Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

lost

Its the switch!
  2. R

Can I remove the AC?

You can remove the compressor and replace it with a bracket that only has a pulley on it so you can use the same size belt without compromising any other components. Or and I'm not to sure if this is possible but just getting a different size belt maybe one for the same year and just bypass the...
  3. R

slow/delayed shift into reverse

Not to hijack but didn't see a reason to start a whole new thread for this question. I am about to do a transmission flush and filter change and wanted to add a drain plug. So question is. is there a specific plug/drain to get or will just about any aftermarket be ok. Anyone used one or like one...
  4. R

DynoMax Exhaust

The smaller diameter pipe you use puts more resistance on exhaust flow. I just replaced mine with a dynomax a couple months back and actually stepped up to a 2 1/2 inch pipe. Larger pipe = better flow = better MPG. Good luck!
  5. R

A/C gremlin

I talked to a guy that claims to be a mechanic and he said since the pressure drops when I give it gas (does not need to be moving) the pressure drops and the air turns cold that the compressor clutch could be slipping. Could that be it? Is it possible to swap just the clutch or do I need a new...
  6. R

A/C gremlin

I talked to a guy that claims to be a mechanic and he said since the pressure drops when I give it gas (does not need to be moving) the pressure drops and the air turns cold that the compressor clutch could be slipping. Could that be it? Is it possible to swap just the clutch or do I need a new...
  7. R

ac stops bloing cold air

I have a 92 with the exact opposite problem. Stop moving even just let off the gas it blows hot. RPM goes up it blows cold so I don't have to be moving its a RPM thing and I still need help. Sorry I know this doesn't help buit your not the only one out there melting in this heat. lol
  8. R

A/C gremlin

So I am still needing some help. I finally got some time today to keep troubleshooting the A/C. I know my gauges are good now so I hooked it back up just to make sure it read the same and it did. The other day when I first noticed the low pressures were really high as I started driving while the...
  9. R

A/C gremlin

So I am still needing some help. I finally got some time today to keep troubleshooting the A/C. I know my gauges are good now so I hooked it back up just to make sure it read the same and it did. The other day when I first noticed the low pressures were really high as I started driving while the...
  10. R

A/C gremlin

Bump!!!!!**** i still need help please ****bump!!!!!
  11. R

A/C gremlin

Ok is it also possible that my compressor is going? It stays on constant but sounds a little whiny or higher pitched than it used to. And with those pieces could be blocking the orifice tube maybe causing the higher pressure thats not really that high? After all it is 20 years old it probably...
  12. R

A/C gremlin

Ok so my system has been retrofitted to accept R-143-a by the previous owner and about this time every year I need to recharge the system. I bought a can of R-134-a and went to recharge it. With my truck running and a/c on high I hooked up the hose with an in-line pressure gauge to the L port...
  13. R

A/C gremlin

Yeah I will check it with another gauge tomorrow.The compressor very well could be breaking down it is the original I think. Like I said the guy before me just did the cheap retro fit conversion on the a/c so it probably wouldn't hurt to swap some stuff out anyways. But maybe its just my gauge...
  14. R

A/C gremlin

Arco-Yes the compressor stays running constantly. Are there any vacuum lines involved in the cooling sequence somewhere and its possible I have some criss -crossed at the vacuum tree? I replaced some a while back when I noticed some were just old and leaking but thought I put them all back where...
  15. R

A/C gremlin

Ok so my system has been retrofitted to accept R-143-a by the previous owner and about this time every year I need to recharge the system. I bought a can of R-134-a and went to recharge it. With my truck running and a/c on high I hooked up the hose with an in-line pressure gauge to the L port...
  16. R

Need to vent after starter swap

Tony- The bolt hole on the starter is between a 1/2in and 3/4in so once I cut the head off the bolt and pulled the starter the bolt was exposed by that much. I just clamped a vise grip on it and for some reason it just broke loose very easy and I backed it the rest of the way out with my hand.
  17. R

A4LD slips in O.Drive

Also check your fluid level. After a good warm up drive leave the truck running in park (P) and check the fluid level. There is a dipstick in the back of the engine bay behind the engine. If you notice your fluid is low or dirty or low and dirty a fluid/filter change isn't a bad idea and fairly...
  18. R

Name that part! (Dangly tail-pipe thingie)

Go to your local parts store buy a universal tail pipe hangar for about 8 bucks and install it. You will need 2 bolts 2 nuts 4 washers and 2 lock washers. It bolts directly to the frame so you don't have to worry about it banging against the frame. Then if you have a saws-all if you have one or...
  19. R

I even looked at the NAPA website before I left and it said they had them in the warehouse. So I went to the warehouse to get it bypassing the closest store because they would have said they could get it in a couple hours or I could go pick it up. The guy was an ass didn't even want to test it...
  20. R

Oh and the guys at NAPA told me they don't make starter rebuild kits anymore and buying the individual pieces was more expensive than a new starter.
  21. R

So went out Wednesday morning and my truck wouldn't start. Did all the necessary troubleshooting and tracked the problem directly to the starter. I got the first bolt on the bottom off fairly easily even though the whole stud came out without the nut spinning. Then until dark yesterday I worked...
  22. R

AC Blowing Warm Air

If your system has been swapped over from R-12 to R143-a by way of the cheap swap then you probably can just recharge the system. The problem with that type of swap is the actual R134-a particles are actually smaller than the R-12 particles and escape through multiple spots in the system. But...
  23. R

Console Armrest cover

Here you go in ten easy steps. Step 1 enter how to recover 1st gen armrest! Sorry had to. Hope this helps but not sure. I think you were asking for an actual pattern to cut the cloth from but this is the best I could find when I did a search...
  24. R

Gas Mileage - 1994 4x4 XLT V6?

Thats one way to look at it and the biggest reason just swapping the muffler won't get the best results. To allow the muffler to work best you need a larger tail pipe to allow as much exhaust out as possible. I think all 1st gens come stock with 2 1/4 in pipe so upgrading to a 2 1/2 in will =...
  25. R

Gas Mileage - 1994 4x4 XLT V6?

Thank you safn1949. It was everything I did as well that added up to a huge improvement in gas mileage. And yes it was 75 miles per tank. The 20 year old stock muffler was extremely restrictive and if it wasn't for all the rust holes in it would have been it even worse. A transmission fluid...
Back