Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. P

'05 XLT V6, P0303 & no compression -- head gasket? valve? piston?-- pls help diagnose (video)

'05 XLT V6, ~85k. Truck was suffering from P0430 (Catalyst system efficiency below threshold (Bank 2)) and moderately uneven idle for few years, but yesterday -- peaceful local driving, stopped at intersection, when started moving (no noticeable "pop" or "clang" or whatever) -- engine shaking...
  2. P

1992 Explorer power loss, surges -- pls help to diagnose

It started suddenly, in the middle of the trip. Symptoms: any attempt to accelerate as usual -- causes huge power loss, huge drop in RPMs (and pull drop) -- then immediately rise of RPMs (and rise of pull) -- then drop again... With period for this drop-rise cycle about 1-2 seconds. Throttle...
  3. P

92 XLT 2WD, tranny A4LD - is oil pan same for 2WD and 4WD?

92 XLT 2WD, A4LD transmission. I'd like to replace my transmission oil pan with one with built-in oil drain plug. It is made by Dorman, Dorman 265-831. Websites selling it say "4WD A4LD", mine is 2WD. Is there really a difference? Can I install it on my 2WD A4LD? Thanks in advance! Link...
  4. P

So, what causes A/C black death, really?

Googling high and low brings, essentially, two reasons: 1. Compressor (FX15 model) shaving its internal teflon rings (which are black in color) into powder. -- Engineer in me quietly, but confidently whispers that this is B.S.. 2. Moisture gets into the system thru crack/hole/etc and...
  5. P

A/C compressor high pressure release valve - what "non-captive" means?

I'm preparing for A/C overhaul (1st gen 92 Explorer). Looking at A/C compressor high pressure release valve I found that some are called "non-captive" - Autozone search - and they seem to be a bit more expensive than the others. Couldn't google out anything about this "non-captive". Could...
  6. P

My front is bouncing! Is it normal for 1st gen?

Overture: my '92 XLT suffers badly from body roll. Which makes me suffer too. One day I suddenly recalled the old technique used to check the shock absorbers: put your weight on cars corner and release. If it returns to normal height and stops - OK. If it bounces - i.e., goes above normal...
  7. P

Swaybar kits for 92 stock Explorer - Addco or Hellwig?

Swaybar kits for 92 stock Explorer - Addco or Hellwig? Reducing body roll For couple of years my 92 XLT was taking rest on the driveway, and I kinda forgot how willingly it rolls on turns and bumps. However, this summer it became my daily driver again - and will stay so for some foreseeable...
  8. P

Drivers window glass squeaks going down - Rain-X?

Not always. Just sometimes - under some specific combination of temperature/humidity, I guess. But when it does - it does it so loud it squeaks the hell out of me :eek: It's not the regulator parts - it's glass surface sliding with friction along rubber strips on the door, bottom part of the...
  9. P

Exotic problem: rattle *inside* the cat converter, '05 XLT

Hi All, Well, here it goes. Loud rattling sound from under the car, started overnight. I got under and looked - it comes from the left catalytic converter. First I was hoping it's a piece of gravel or something, which got under the converter heat shield, but all my shaking, hitting, and...
Back