Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

Removing the spare tire

Oh well, I have the two rods, but no J hook on the end. Probably got lost before I bought the explorer. Thanks for the reply.
  2. R

Removing the spare tire

Is there something that goes on the end of the rod that goes into the hole or anything? I have the 2 rods, and I saw nothing on the end that looks like it could engage that crank in there. Wondering if I am missing something.
  3. R

Massive Wheel Movement

Got the new hub installed, decided to go ahead and replace the tire rod end on that side, boot was ripped and it looked pretty rough. Only thing is, the bolt on the new one is a little shorter than the old one. Is there some trick to making it line up properly? It's just slightly off but I...
  4. R

Massive Wheel Movement

I figured it was. Waiting on the wife to run and get a 32mm socket for me. Left the other one in my dads tool box at his house. I am hard of hearing, and usually have the radio loud so I never heard anything. My wife said he was driving funny, but I wrote it off to having a crappy...
  5. R

Massive Wheel Movement

Last year we changed cv joints and hubs on my 97ex. Today I jacked up the front end to change out brake pads and i noticed that my drivers side wheel has a lot of movement in all directions. I am going to assume the hub is shot, would this be correct? :mad:
  6. R

Chrome trim inserts?

I really appreciate the response. I figured it was molded into it. Replacing it is more money than I care to spend honestly. Thanks for the vinyl suggestion, I will look into it.
  7. R

Chrome trim inserts?

I really have two questions here. On my explorer, on the bottom ( i guess you could call trim) there is what appears to be a chrome insert. I am not sure if this is factory or not as I bought it used from someone. First question would be obviously is it replaceable, and if so, how can I go...
  8. R

Washing/Detailing Question

My ex is white, along with my wifes Van, which is a pain to keep them clean. My question, what you guys use to get off road tar and those 80 MPH bugs that can't simply be wiped off when your soft sponge when washing, elbow grease simply doesn't do the trick.? I am afraid to use something...
  9. R

Dog Peeing on Tires

I live out in the woods, and our neighbors are not close but I suspect their dogs are just out running around and keep finding my truck. I will try the pet repellant spray and see if that will help at all. Thanks for the advice.
  10. R

Dog Peeing on Tires

Ok let me start off by saying that I do not own a dog. For whatever reason dogs seem to flock to my yard to take a piss on my 20 inch chrome wheels and low profile tires. Anyone have any suggestions of how to curb this? I am not going to shoot a dog or anything but just want them to stop...
  11. R

Front end noise; Please help

thank you rdw for the information, should there be much side to side/ up and down play where the shaft goes into the transfer case? When I get under there I notice play, and alot of noise, even when I try to turn it. My guess is this "cv joint" is shot and should probably be rebuilt. Thoughts?
  12. R

What I am curious about is where the driveshaft goes into the transfer case. When I get under the truck and move the driveshaft in this area is where I can hear the noise coming from. From what pictures I can see on this site, is a cup type of thing, but no u-joint. Just this "cup" thing is...
  13. R

I believe I have narrowed down the sound of the noise today. I believe it is coming from the front drive shaft, where it goes into the transfer case. At this point my only thing to be seen is, what could have failed? To the best of my knowledge (I haven't taken it out yet) the rear of the...
  14. R

Rims

I have a set of 20" Panther rims on my '97 XLT. I will try and grab a pic later.
  15. R

I changed out the front wheel hub on the drivers side, did not fix the issue. Of course the noise is more noticeable at lower speeds, and stops when you turn. I am out of ideas, so any help would be appreciated as I am tired of randomly replacing parts.
  16. R

Haven't tried swapping the wheels around. However, I will try it. If that doesn't solve the issue, then I will look at replacing the bearing.
  17. R

So heres the deal. I have a 97 Explorer, XLT. I cannot give a lot of background on it because I bought it used "from a guy". The truck is 100% stock except it has 20" wheels on it, with low profile tires. While driving, especially at lower speeds where it is easier to hear, I keep hearing...
Back