Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. G

Never ending P0174 and P0171.

FINALLY it's fixed. Turned out to be the Vapor Management valve. This valve is located under the battery tray. In all their wisdom, Ford designed a spout of sorts for battery acid in the tray to drain. The spout drains directly onto the valve which is plastic and eats a large hole in the...
  2. G

Unusual Rough Idle

You answered your own question. If you have bad intake gaskets this will cause rough idle due to vacuum leaks.
  3. G

vacuum regulator?

the easiest way to check is pull the vacuum lines on the passenger side kick panel. Put a vac gauge on the port there and see if you have vac. The most common leaks are in the lines under the hood. Mostly from the vaccum reservior on the passenger side under the air box to the firewall. Hope...
  4. G

help me im lost

See my other thread on these codes. I have done extensive work trying to irradicate them with no luck. Hopefully you can follow my logic and actually resolve your issue.
  5. G

Update: CEL came back on with FPR vac line capped. I bought a code scanner that is supposed to read fuel trims. My thinking is that I can read fuel trims and determine if it is a vacuum leak or something else. Well, the fuel trims are static. They don't change after the car is started. I...
  6. G

Engine swap

I replaced my 98 4.0 with a 4.0 from an 05 mustang. My ex is a 4wd and the mustang did not have the countershaft. I have a small vibration at 1500 to 2100 RPM but not very noticable. The swap is very straightforward. Read Dales threads and others on this board and it will be much easier...
  7. G

Po171 and po174 codes. No o2 voltage either

Are you reading the heater wires or the signal wires?
  8. G

How to check your fuel pressure

Easier way to seafoam would be to pull one of the vacuum line, ie the one to the brake booster and stick it in the bottle of seafoam with the engine running. It will suck it into the intake. I don't personally use seafoam but have seen it done this way.
  9. G

Bank 1 and Bank 2 Lean... Please help

Good luck. You'll need it.
  10. G

Update. About 7 days after repairing the last vacuum line and plugging the FPR vacuum in the CEL came on again. Checked fuel pressure and it was low. It appears that my FPR is causing low fuel pressure when vacuum is applied. I checked several parts stores and the dealer, none of them carry my...
  11. G

Slight airflow from floor on all settings

Pull the passenger fender liner and check both vacuum lines coming from the vacuum res to the firewall. That's where my problem was. Both lines were broken on mine.
  12. G

Put the gauge on it today. Only had 20 mm of Hg. Put the vacuum pump on the FPR and found it wasn't leaking. Pulled the passenger inner fender and found the black vacuum supply from the vac res to the firewall was broken. Repaired the line and now I have good vac in the cab and at the FPR.
  13. G

99 explorer xlt

I would either get one from the junkyard or cut the existing one and solder in a piece to make it longer.
  14. G

Scout, you are probably correct. I didn't pay close attention to the gauge, just that it was way higher than when I was measuring inside the cab. I'll take another measurement. As for the EGR O ring, I replaced it when I replaced the motor.
  15. G

Thanks Dale. I plan on tearing into it after Christmas. I'm sure the FPR is leaking. I think the vac res is also leaking or the check valve isn't functioning since I had the FPR vac line capped when I read low vac on the firewall bulkhead vac fitting. I feeling I owe you a huge thanks as at...
  16. G

Warning: Long post. Bought my 98 Explorer Sport with 4.0 SOHC from original owner with 119,000 miles on it. As soon as I got it home I changed the oil, flushed the coolant and rotated the tires. I checked the ATF and it was nice and red, no burnt smell so I figured I’d wait a while on that...
  17. G

Stuck a gauge on the hoses at the floor vacuum actuator this morning. I am only getting 5 inches of hg. Traced that to the feed line under the glove box. Same thing there. Pulled the line under the hood that feeds the vacuum reservoir and got around 40 inches of hg there. Anyone know what it...
  18. G

Looks like the hose colors are the same on my 98. Blue goes to the floor damper, yellow goes to defrost. However, the yellow also goes to the opposite side of the floor damper to adjust flow when defrost/floor is selected. This partially closes the floor damper. I haven't put a gauge in...
  19. G

2001 ford explorer sport 4.0 SOHC

You didn't clean it wrong. There are many different ways to clean electronics. I work on super sensative (pico amps) electronics all day. We use Ethel alcohol, Isopropal alcohol, "tech spray" they all work. Some types of sensors are sensitive to which type of solivent is used but not you...
  20. G

There is a vacuum operated damper behind the console just abve and to the right of the gas pedal. There are two lines connected to it. One is blue and the other I think is Yellow. They come directly off the back of the climate control switch. I have the opposite issue. I barely have any...
  21. G

How to: 1 SOHC V6 Engine Removal Procedure

I was able to remove the power steering pump and reservoir as a unit still attached to the mounting bracket for the A/C compressor. I did have to drain the fluid but it needed to be changed anyway. This method was very easy. There is a high pressure line behind the pulley that needs to be...
  22. G

2000StreetRod's Helpful thread list

Your detailed documentation has not only saved me a great deal of money and frustration but also lead me to be a better mechanic. I truely appreciate the great deal of time you have spent putting these procedures together.
Back