Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

Off Road Experience With 5th Gen Explorer !

Interesting....but I wouldn't be entirely surprised if this decision were due, in some small part, to see what kind of consumer response ensues this announcement. I have zero clue on how big of a devout following FJ's have in comparison to Jeeps and 4Runners, but I guess this is one way of...
  2. T

Time for tires

Not to downplay the idea of saving money (believe me, this is the same conundrum I find myself in every time I buy tires), but if you consider the difference in cost between the tires you want and the offsize ones you're considering settling for (and not because they would offer you some...
  3. T

Time for tires

I actually do think something else might be going on. Although a couple others have reported some minor road noise with the 421Q's at highway speeds, I cannot claim the same. Ours have been smooth as silk and not noisy in the least. These are not BF Goodrich Mud-Terrain tires and you should...
  4. T

Adding Remote Start

Thanks Burnsy- I've been exchanging emails with Jason offline (who's been very helpful). Since my dealer seemed to be aware of the fact it just needs to be "turned on" and has already quoted me a price for the keys and labor, I'm unsure what the outcome would be if I then showed up with...
  5. T

Adding Remote Start

Hey Jason- As predicted, my dealership just quoted me the following to have remote start enabled on my 2011 XLT with power rear liftgate: -$298.57 for the "kit" -$170 for "installation". I had him confirm for me that the kit is nothing more than 2 new key fobs and keys to be cut, and...
  6. T

Time for tires

That's good to hear....well...other than the drop in mileage which I'm sure has something to do with your inflation. I normally run my tires about 3-4 PSI higher than the door jam recommends, too, but often it will depend on how the tires I'm running respond to the higher pressures. In my...
  7. T

Time for tires

Since Spring 2014, we've been running the Nitto NT 421Q's on my wife 2011 XLT and have been extremely happy with them. They're very quiet, seem to be wearing very evenly, they handle extremely well in wet and dry, and do a great job of resisting hydroplaning (heck, they even do well in the deep...
  8. T

Adding Remote Start

Wow, appreciate the fast response, Jason. I did get a chance to read through a few other threads on this topic--including what several owners' local dealers had quoted for the system + installation. Guess I need to decide now whether I am willing to "doing battle" with my service...
  9. T

Adding Remote Start

Hi Jason- I visited your site and noticed "2013" seems to be the oldest MY listed for this functionality; am I interpreting this correctly? My wife has a 2011 XLT and I, too, wanted to have remote start installed as a Christmas gift. Was considering just going to the dealer to see what...
  10. T

Sorry for the late post, but yes--you should be fine. We've never had our air dam rip off our Expy--although I have had the intake vent fill up with sand (the one which helps cool the transmission, but no harm done). "Floatation" is the real name of the game, so as long as you air-down to...
  11. T

I think Ford will probably be more than happy to let Jeep take any market share of consumers wanting a real off-road crossover/SUV. Reason being, had that market share been significant in the first place, the Explorer would not have been changed from a legitimate off-road worthy truck to a...
  12. T

Mods, might it be worthwhile to start a dedicated "Explorer Tires" thread or sticky?

Believe me, Pirelli, has also designed their fair share of crap over the years :) The old P6 and P7 Centurato were dreadful tires, and some mixed reviews on their Nero line in recent years--but they have also built some good ones along the way, too. It really does come down to the specific...
  13. T

Mods, might it be worthwhile to start a dedicated "Explorer Tires" thread or sticky?

I agree. I really liked our stock Michelins, too. My used Infiniti also came with them (although I didn't opt to pony up almost a cool G-note to replace them) and really made the car handle well. My issue now is, we haven't decided if we're going to buy out our lease yet. If we decide we...
  14. T

Sarg- Yes, I'm pretty sure the Verde is a totally different tire than the original model Scorpion which I also heard were garbage. For me, I tend to look at tire models on a case-by-case basis. Reason being, even Michelin which (from my ownership experiences) is about the best overall tire...
  15. T

Only because the 2011 and on Explorer really is such a departure from all other Ford trucks/SUVs, I was wondering if it might make some sense to create either a dedicated "Replacement Tire" thread or even a sticky note for our vehicles (?) I'm in the process of trying to research what tires...
  16. T

Anyone replace front rotors/pads DIY yet?

I had not considered those; out of curiosity, where would one source them from? Thanks! Tim
  17. T

Anyone replace front rotors/pads DIY yet?

My wife has about 37k on our 2011 XLT 4WD and the right front rotor is warped. Decided to go with some quality, aftermarket rotors and ceramic pads (have the same ones on my Infiniti EX35 and like them), but figured I'd check to see if anyone here has done them him/herself and run across...
  18. T

Anyone experience their steering wheel "sticking" a little in turns?

Yeah, no connection there unfortunately. If the right rotor (or specifically the right caliper) were dragging on the rotor, there would be a constant pull to the right side--which is very much different from the conditions I'm experiencing. I'm confident the two issue are unrelated and I'm...
  19. T

Good thought, but actually the steering wheel physically "sticks" during a certain point while turning left--regardless of road surface or any anomalies in it (definitely not tram-lining) . Leading up to and after that point, it feels perfectly normal. It is most noticeable under light...
  20. T

Chrystal- Will do. Appreciate your note. Regards, Tim
  21. T

Hey Peter- Thanks for your reply. I'd say it's been a few months. Part of the challenge for me is that I only drive my Explorer a few times a month. Since, it's my wife's daily driver, I don't always promptly hear when the truck is has a new "sound" or "behavior"...as I recently discovered...
  22. T

I've got a 2011 XLT 4WD and we really love it. It's been a great vehicle to date. One odd thing I've noticed is that while driving on back roads (40-55 MPH) whenever I go into a corner and have to turn the steering wheel slightly to the left, it tends to stick a little. I am able to un-stick...
  23. T

Explorer, Jeep or 4 runner??

We test drove extensively both the 2011 Explorer Limited and 2011 4Runner Limited...both were at the same dealer. The Toy was a few grand more expensive and although we had a great experience with our last Ford (a 2001 Expedition), going into the test drives, I really thought we were going to...
  24. T

New 2014 Explorer Sport Owner

It's beautiful :) I've only owned one black car (an old M5) in my life, and said I'd never do it again, but I don't know....your's looks awfully nice! Our 2011 XLT lease is coming to an end next July and I'm trying to figure out what to do. I think the buyout is about $20k; it's been a...
  25. T

New 2014 Explorer Sport Owner

It's beautiful :) I've only owned one black car (an old M5) in my life, and said I'd never do it again, but I don't know....your's looks awfully nice! Our 2011 XLT lease is coming to an end next July and I'm trying to figure out what to do. I think the buyout is about $20k; it's been a great...
Back