Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Solved My charger said that the battery is 75% charged while it's connected to the van.

My van's battery is only a year old. I forgot and left the lights on overnight so the battery didn't have enough juice to start the van yesterday. A digital voltmeter showed only 3.5 volts. Instead of jump starting it, I hooked a Schumacher SC-1200A charger to it and charged it in-vehicle...
  2. J

My Aerostar has a continuous warning chime.

Have any of you longtime Aerostar sufferers I mean owners ever had your warning chime constantly dinging when it shouldn't be? Since my van had been sitting for about a week I decided to drive it today. It started normally, I buckled my seat belt and took off. The warning chime continued to...
  3. J

Can I list my Aerostar for sale here?

I can't find the rule governing this.
  4. J

Did anyone replace their heater-A/C control switch?

The function switch where I select between A/C, Vent, Floor, Defrost, etc. has been flaky but working for a few years. Now it's dead. The knob and shaft will turn but I don't feel or hear any connections being made inside the switch. Ebay has several used, supposedly working, control...
  5. J

Solved Where can I buy Aerostar visor hooks?

The plastic hook/clip/bracket/retainers which the free end of my visor snaps into are both broken. Other than the junkyard, is there another source for these? I found a pair listed on Ebay for $12, which seems a little high.
  6. J

Where can I buy Aerostar headliner retainers?

I've pulled the front section of my light grey headliner out. I'm ready to scrape the old lining off the board then glue the replacement material I got at Pep Boys on. The headliner board's original plastic push-in panel retainers are shot. They have a head that's 1 1/4" or 31 mm in...
  7. J

Can I replace the rear brake cylinder without removing shoes?

My right rear brake cylinder is leaking. I've seen some YouTube videos where they were able to (carefully) remove the cylinder on some non-Aerostars by just removing the wheel, drum and upper spring. Anyone know if there's enough clearance in the Aerostar brake assembly to pull the cylinder...
  8. J

Do you relieve fuel pressure prior to replacing the fuel filter?

I'm doing an oil change myself tomorrow and thought I'd replace the fuel filter, too. I've only did that a couple of times on this Aerostar but I seem to remember pulling a connector or pushing a button behind the passenger kick panel. That was supposed to relieve the fuel pressure but I...
  9. J

Aerostar interior door panel retainers.

Can someone who has a parts book tell me the Ford part number for those double-headed push clips which holds the door panels on? I need to replace some that broke or stripped the last time I worked on my window motor. I've seen N802900 and N801925S.....the look alike but there must be a...
  10. J

Where can I buy a power door lock switch?

The master switch will lock and unlock the passenger side door but the switch on the passenger door won't work at all. I need to check voltages and continuity just to verify but the passenger switch is a likely suspect. I've tried Autozone, O'Reillys, Ebay and Switch Doctor....neither has...
  11. J

Has anyone here ever replaced an Aerostar headliner?

Ten years of sitting under the West Texas sun has caused the gray headliner fabric in my 2003 Aerostar to begin disintegrating. I saw a YouTube video where they removed the headliner board from anther model of van, scraped the old material off, applied adhesive and recoated it with fresh...
  12. J

Solved 1993 Aerostar. The brakes are grabbing at low speed.

I replaced front & back brakes within the last 10K miles.....rotors, pads, drums and shoes. Everything was good initially but recently the brakes grab near the end of a braking action. The van doesn't pull to one side; brakes just engage completely when it's almost ready to stop anyway and the...
  13. J

I need suggestions for new wheel covers.

My original 5-oval wheel covers are faded, cracked and one is totally missing. Can anyone suggest an aftermarket wheel cover that looks similar and works good on an Aerostar?
  14. J

Solved My power window is sluggish in the winter.

The driver side window works fine in the Summer but as soon as the weather turns cold it becomes sluggish, especially going up. Sometimes it comes to a complete stop halfway up and I have to manually pull it to get it moving again. I've lubed the gears inside the door panel with white...
  15. J

Solved I have a leaking tire plug.

I picked up a nail 6 months ago in one of my almost-new tires. The nail was in the bottom of one of the tread's grooves. I bought a Slime tire plugger kit at AutoZone, followed the instructions, used the rubber cement on the plug before inserting it, and the tire held pressure fine until...
  16. J

Solved Any experience with aftermarket power window switches?

I've had a LOT of problems with the power windows in my 93 Aerostar over the years. Some of the problems were due to rust forming in the joints of the regulator assembly, but the main culprit has been the switches themselves wearing out. I've gone the cheap route by buying switches from the...
  17. J

Do fuel injected engines have an automatic choke?

My '93 3.0L Aerostar has always started and idled great, even in the coldest of weather. A month ago, the cold idle got crappy. It still starts fine, but instead of the normal fast, smooth idle, it's a rough idle and unless I manually increase the RPMs for about 5 seconds, the engine dies...
  18. J

Why would oil pressure decrease?

The oil pressure gauge on my 93 3.0L Aerostar (173K miles) has always read just about in the middle of the NORMAL range of scale, or 50%. A couple of months ago it started reading about 25%....still in the NORMAL scale but noticeably lower than it had always read. I changed the oil (Penn...
  19. J

My new brake drum is stuck.

Last week I replaced the rear brake shoes and drums with new AutoZone Duralast parts. The job went well except the brake hardware kit they sold me didn't have enough of the yellow shoe return springs. I put it back together using the 2 old (172,000 miles) springs on the passenger side. I...
  20. J

Which oil and gasket do Aerostar differentials require?

My 93 2wd Aerostar's rear axle does not have a drain plug, so I have to loosen the housing bolts and drain it the messy way. The Haynes manual says after draining and cleaning, to put a thin layer of RTV sealant on the housing and install a new gasket. But the repair guide at Autozone's...
  21. J

Is it possible to grease rear wheel bearings?

I replaced the brake shoes and drums, along with all the springs, on my 93 AeroStar this week. It has 172,000 miles and I think the parts were the originals. After I finished, I got to thinking: seems most people repack their front bearings when they replace the pads and/or rotors. But I...
  22. J

"New" oxygen sensor has soot with discolored threads.

I just received a "New, in the box Bosch Oxygen Sensor" from an online parts company which has a 99.9% positive feedback record at Ebay. It arrived in the Bosch box (inside a larger plain box) and looks fine. Except: The threads and hex bolt are slightly discolored and the probe which fits...
  23. J

Aerostar oxygen sensor replacement.

My 93 3.0L has 170,000 miles and to the best of my knowledge has never had the O2 Sensor replaced (I acquired the van at 90K). No warning lights yet but it seems my overall MPG is down a couple. I need to do some work under the van soon anyway so this would be a good time to replace it...
  24. J

What kind of tools are required for upper ball joint removal?

I have the 1993 2wd. I may be able to borrow an air chisel to remove the rivets on the original upper. But if I can't acquire one, is there enough room in there to use a standard 4" angle grinder? I've also heard of people drilling the rivets out. Again, it looks pretty tight in there. Do...
  25. J

Are Duralast upper ball joints OK to use in Aerostars?

I need to replace the upper ball joints in my 93 2WD. I've been researching my options online. AutoZone's Duralast have a lifetime warranty, and go for just under $20 each. O'Reilly and Advance have comparable uppers at the same price, plus they offer Moog for $53. I'm leaning toward...
Back