Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

ZR2 tire carrier on a 1st gen?

Just finishing up. I don't like the fact that the tire is going to make the shackle on the passenger side useless unless the swing arm is open :thumbdwn: and I made the clearance to tight on the hinge and already popped some of the paint off. :thumbdwn: but the swing arm is tight and rattle...
  2. B

No excuse for difficulty in changing gear oil!

You may want to try a drill driven pump. I use a cordless drill and a cheap little oil/water pump (like $5). You can suck the diffs empty with it. You will need to step down to a fairly small diameter tube for the front diff and there is a small gap when looking through the fill hole it's either...
  3. B

RangerX gets a real front bumper.

Good stuff. Planning on anything else.
  4. B

Stripping chrome off bumpers.

I may be wrong but I believe we used something called "sno bol" (15 years ago so it's a little hard to remember). It's a toilet cleaner if I remember correctly but it worked to make the surface rough enough to hold paint. It had acid in it thats all I really remember. Car Quest has something...
  5. B

More from the Section525 Fab Shop

Very nice! Did you give up on the Harbor Freight tube kinker? Those bends are very nice.
  6. B

Thanks, Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I have a pair of pillow blocks off an assembly line and thought about using them but then decided to sleeve it and put in a grease zirk for easy maintenance. I would like to see it when you build it.
  7. B

Thank you. Good Luck bud. I was just looking at you SAS thread.....Dayum dude... :thumbsup: Almost. :) I want to get it all blasted and powder coated at the same time and save $$$. I have the sliders 90% done. Front bumper needs a few things and the roof rack is still just a pile of steel...
  8. B

Sure. Email me if your serious about this because there is a ton of little things that may turn you off to doing this on the drivers side anyway.
  9. B

Here is a picture before I ground down any of the welds or get it blasted.
  10. B

Thanks. I decided for strength I had better attach it to the bumper. :) The camera crapped out so you can't see the hinge or how it's attached. If I did it again I would radius the diagonal support arm so it fit in with the rest of the carrier instead of just shooting straight down the way...
  11. B

Well my digital camera is :thumbdwn:
  12. B

Ok, I picked one up and yes even though the spacing is about the same it isn't a fit by any means. So I am going to attach it to the bumper. I think I will cut the top section off at the brace and cap it and relocate the arm down next to the other one.........hard to explain.
  13. B

Well I called and they are cheap anyway.....so thats a good start. I found three in one junkyard $50 a piece. Jimcom I see what you are saying. I wonder if a person could make some sort of internal brace and bolt through the body or just make something off of the bumper?!
  14. B

With a little modification......who knows. Are these things in the junk yards?
  15. B

One of these.....
  16. B

C-notch.....a Pic-by-Pic tutorial...not for those with a Broadband deficiency

Your horizontal welds didn't look to bad but your vertical welding is kinda :o it can be difficult on something thin like our frames so take the gun and weld from the top down and make sure you tilt it back slightly and keep the electrode feeding into the leading edge of the weld. By the...
  17. B

If You Had $5K And Needed A 4-Door Car,..........

Black 4 door diesel jetta......48mpg. :) ooops! Not sure how long they have been making them might not be able to get one for 5k???
  18. B

try this to improve mpg

Popular Mechanics did a recent article discrediting a bunch of different gadgets one of which suprised me as it was water injection along with the tornado and some other gadget that clamps to your fuel line and supposedly aligns atoms. I'll try and get a copy of the article up. I know some...
  19. B

Frame measurements

It would probably be best if you can get at least one more person to measure to get some type of average between the two. I expected my wife back home while it was still light out but she stopped to see her mom so if you can wait until tomorrow morning I will re-measure everything on her...
  20. B

Frame measurements

I can try tomorrow Dre but I'll be gone for a good portion of the day so it may be late afternoon before I can get any info back to you. :(
  21. B

gas prices

Part of it was speculation though Steve. Our local station (Casey's) closed 3 days ago. Still waiting for the pumps to be reopened. We are in a small town with one gas station. The next closest is 4 miles away. :(
  22. B

Battery terminals not much choice

uhmmmm. No, I broke that bottom bolt off and what a pita it was to drill it out. I replaced it with a stud and nutted it from both sides. :) I really don't want a pretty truck Creager.:rainbow:
  23. B

Battery terminals not much choice

You can always make your own... I used NAPA for the terminals, Rural King for the negative wire, Ovation for the positive wire and I already had misc. wire eyelets and shrink tubing. I removed the old harness first then measured and cut carefully because like you said Ford kind of ran it all...
Back