Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Wanted Second Gen Explorer Manual Seat Tracks Sliders

I need the manual seat tracks for a second gen, drivers and passenger sides. My after market seats are on the electric tracks and I cant tell the motors are staring to wear out and would like to replace with the simple manual tracks. Let me know if you have them and wouldnt mind shipping to...
  2. J

Accident Caused Some Problems

Last weekend we were coming down a mountain road (Big Bear Route 38) in the truck, my daughter wanted to get a picture of the sunset so I pulled over into one of the side of the road viewing area, I tried to slow down (probably going about 35-40mph) and I had about 10% brakes and wasn't slowing...
  3. J

Bluetooth Static help

Hoping an car audio guru can help since I'm failing at researching my problem online. Installed a new Pioneer stereo and 4 new speakers. The radio sound is great, the sound from all streaming services (youtube, pandora, spotify, etc) is great, but when I make bluetooth phone calls the persons...
  4. J

Clock spring info

I need help finding the correct clock spring number. I have a 1998 Merc Mountaineer V8 AWD with only cruise control buttons on the steering wheel. The part number of the clock spring that is installed is F67A-14A664-EB but I think many years ago I pulled a steering wheel from the junk yard and...
  5. J

Horn Wiring

I just hooked my horn back up and realized it doesnt work anymore. If I run power to the horns from the battery they work, their ground is fine, I switched a couple relays out, there is power where the relay plugs in, the fuse is good and the contact points at the steering wheel are doing their...
  6. J

Alarm Problems

So I need to disable the stock alarm system on a 1998 Mounty. My alarm will randomly go off for no reason....horns blaring and lights flashing. To combat this Ive just had my horn unhooked for years. My daughter is gonna start driving this soon and I need to know if there is a way to disable the...
  7. J

Sun Roof Air Delfector

A few years ago the air deflector on my sunroof broke off. The two little clips that mount the air deflector to the top of the car snapped. I finally fixed them today but I'm not sure how the deflector sits up there. Can anyone post a few pics of their sunroof air deflector from a few angles I...
  8. J

5.0 Engine Problem 3rd time now!

1998 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0 Yesterday I was on the freeway and my engine started to rattle and a lost power, it didn't shut down but it didn't sound right. As of right now we know that piston #1 broke apart and messed up the cylinder, it's at my mechanic right now. I dont have much experienece...
  9. J

Regearing Question

So, I took my Mounty to my mechanic to diagnose a whine noise while driving (only made the sound when the accelerator pedal was push) and come to find out the rear diff is going bad so why not regear! Because the rear needs to be handled soon, for the sake of not spending a ton of money all at...
  10. J

Need Part Number for...

the throttle/accelerator cable on a 1998 Merc Mounty v8 4x4. I cant seem to find anyone that carriers it. Thanks
  11. J

List of SAS axles

Hey everyone. I though I saw a while back (years?) a link/post of solid axles that work for a SAS and what donor vehicles you can find them on. Ex: pre76 broncos, shorter length d44, etc etc etc. Is there anything like that? Thanks!
  12. J

Need help with some new wiring

I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to wiring but I am learning a lot. Here's my problem and the direction I want to go. I have a 444c Viair compressor (40amp) hooked up in the "trunk" of my mounty. Its been about a year and now after a min or so or running it kicks the breaker. I think my...
  13. J

New engine install

Hey all, I am putting a new 5.0 in my truck, ordered from RockAuto. Since the motor is out is there anything I should replace with a better version? I thought I remember reading somewhere that the oil sensor (temperature maybe) is crap and should be replaced with blah blah brand. Most of the...
  14. J

5.0 damaged #1 piston

1998 Mounty 5.0 Was on the freeway the other day and all of a sudden I heard a rattling sound come from my engine, about 30 seconds latter it started to shake and loose power. I pulled over and got a tow to the mechanic. The engine would turn over and fire up but it would run weak and shake a...
  15. J

OBA Wiring help

First off let me say that auto wiring is far from my strong suit. I am putting together an OBA system for my truck using a storage tank where my spare use to go and a harbor freight compressor. I am using a switch from my old shop compressor because it has the built in unloader valve (see pic of...
  16. J

Moving Evap Canister

I want to put a compartment in the back of the mounty in the area above where the spare tire would go, not too deep but the more I can get the better, but I have a few questions. Is there any issue if I move the evap canister over towards the drivers side of the vehicle more? I will have to...
  17. J

Storage Compartment Idea

I have an idea and i would like some input on it, I searched around but couldn't find anyone who has done this yet. Since my 33' no longer fit underneath the rear of the truck, there is an empty space. My idea was to cut a 24"x30-36" square out of the floor in the rear trunk area and make a drop...
  18. J

Need help deciding gear ratio

4.56 or 4.10? Here is my truck background and driving habits. 98 Mounty V8 4406 conversion with BFG 33x12.5x15 last years version not the newer style (I think are about 32.5"). Stock 3.73 I do like offroading but in all honesty I only get to go out around 6 times a year mas o menos. For...
  19. J

Regearing Questions

I'm getting ready to start ordering parts to regear the front and back. After about 7 hrs of researching what I need and where to find the best prices I think I've figured just about everything out. My first question is if I am taking the parts to the mechanic to install all I need is the...
  20. J

Has anyone tried this?

I'm in the process of putting a new bumper on my Mounty and with it off you can see how low the radiator sits with the 3"BL. I want to raise the radiator back up. I know people say you can trim the fan shroud but that can cause not enough cool air to be on the radiator. Instead of cutting it...
  21. J

Upgraded my seat, have wiring question

When I bought my Mountaineer it had "rice rocket" racing bucket seats in it, not comfortable to get in and out of. I replaced those with some manual cloth seats from a 1996 explorer. Last weekend at the Pick your Part I came up on some really nice gray leather power seats. My truck is wired for...
  22. J

MPG comments

I just wanted to post my MPG and see if its where it should be. 1998 Mounty 5.0 AWD with 33x12x15 and stock 3.73LS I would get 8.5-9.5 city and around 13-14 freeway When I converted to 4406 my MPG didn't change at all, I was hoping for an increase but nothing really happened. Normal? I still...
  23. J

WTB Front drive shaft for BW4406 conversion

Need the front driveshaft for a BW4406 conversion from a 4.6L F150/Expedition. Shipped to 92704 Santa Ana, CA Thanks Josh
  24. J

4406 Front drive shaft length

Hey All, I did the BW4406convert on my truck two weekends ago. I did it by my self so it was a giant PITA getting the Tcase up and lined up. But its in and it runs fine. My gas mileage in the city doesn't seem like it improved.Anyways to my question: I haven't been able to find a front DS...
  25. J

What ATF fluid for 4406?

When I look it up on the web it calls for Regular ATF but I dont see "regular" at the store. Merc, Dex/Merc, MercV??? Thanks
Back