Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. G

Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration.

The fix you have been waiting for The exhaust smell entering your cabin cannot be fixed. If you would like to get rid of the problem get a lemon law attorney. I did and my problem is solved. Think about it, this forum topic is 3 years old and the problem still exists.
  2. G

Thanks, I'll remember to tell my wife and small children that eventhough Daddy spent $48,000 of their Disneyland fun money on a defective car, 99% of the other owners aren't as fortunate as us. My 3 year old is getting pretty quick with the windows. When Daddy says, "I'm hitting it" everyone...
  3. G

I had the 2012 EX. Started off as burning oil smell, gradually turned into sulfur like rotten egg smell and finally morphed into that chemical smell one inhales when you enter a beauty salon. I had both the exhaust TSB and the cooling system TSB done. Neither worked. The end result is that...
  4. G

Car seats question

Don't get the inflatables. There your problem is solved.
  5. G

Car seats question

Here is your solution After trying everything I could this is how I was able to fit two car seats in the second row and still have enough room for my wife to sit back there confortably on the right hand side. Middle seat area: rear facing Snug ride classic connect 30. Not the quick...
  6. G

I agree with the unresponsive throttle issue. It often seems like it takes up to two seconds for the car to do anything when you step on it. I also feel it is a little under powered. You have to generate way too many rpms to keep it going 70 mph up even the slightest of grades. In my vehicle...
  7. G

2011 Explorer suspension creaking over speed bumps/humps *FIXED*

1sttimeford, You are fantastic! I'd buy you a beer if you were in LA. They have tried to fix this noise 4 times. Once did bumper tsb, did lube dry bushings, once did tighten something or other and once did, we give up, try turning up radio so you dont hear it. Thanks for the details!
  8. G

Peter, you are absolutely right. I cannot argue with your logic. A repair that only succeeds some of the time should still be categorized as a success. My apologies for being overly dramatic. I also apologize to the two members on this site that have had the TSB done successfully. I've read...
  9. G

Red13Sport, It's all the same issue. Exhaust being drawn into the cabin by the rear recirculation vents located behind the rear bumper. The TSB developed to cure the problem does not work. If you've followed this thread and others related to it you'll see that those of us with the defect...
  10. G

Burning oil, aka "Sulfur smell" TSB FAILED

I disagree. Look at the TSB and the parts they replace and what they do. They replace the air recirculation unit that is mounted 8 inches from the exhaust tip. They they spray all sorts of adhesives and caulking on the underbody of the vehicle directly above the mufflers. That to me...
  11. G

Don't get your hopes up. As the original post states, it does not work. Most people that have had the TSB performed still encounter the problem. In my humble opinion, it's a aerodynamic and air recirculation design flaw that cannot be fixed.
  12. G

Car seats question

Toast, That Maxi Cosi looks pretty large. You better test fit it on the passenger side to see how far up you will have to move the front passenger seat. The glove box is large and sticks out quite a bit so you'll have issues if anyone sits there over 5'8" tall.
  13. G

Car seats question

As you can see from the photos, the receptacle portion of the seat belt is fixed and rigid. I believe it is that way because air is forced from underneath the seat to inflate the belts. It does not flop around like the non inflatables giving you an extra 5 inches of play. Because of that...
  14. G

Car seats question

Yes, when I give 4 people a ride, they pull straws so see who has to sign a waiver that expressly states they are willingly riding in my vehicle and not covered by a working seat belt. My 72 year old dad hates signing it!
  15. G

Car seats question

Rafcon, so your issue is that you need a Booster for the 4 year old (which needs access to the factory seat belt), A convertible forward facing for the 2 year old (which uses the LATCH system) and an infant seat (where ever it will fit), right? Do you have inflatables or regular seat belts...
  16. G

2013 explorer purchase

FYI, dual sunroof option does not mean that both panels retract. Only the front panel moves rearward. When it does, the rear frame of the front glass stops in the middle of the second glass. Sounds no louder than any other open sun roof.
  17. G

Brutal driving up to Mammoth, Ca this weekend. Last stretch from Bishop, Ca (elevation 4147) to the top of the summit at around 7700 requires 4500 rpms in order to maintain 65 miles per hour. Had to turn off recirculate or else be asphyxiated by the exhaust. Yes, this is post TSB.
  18. G

Bike Racks, Roof and Hitch mounts

I'm partial to the BVG swing out rack. Can have up to 4 bikes on it and it swings out of the way to open the rear. Or with the snow board adapter it carries 2 bikes and 4 snowboards at the same time.
  19. G

Ford Explorer Cross Bars / Roof Rack

Load capacity increases to 150lbs with Thule or Yakima cross bars. I have Yakima round bars with 2100 cu in Thule box. Lose a couple of mpg with box on.
  20. G

Finally got a chance to test out the fix. Much to my dismay, it failed to cure the exhaust entering into the cabin. Punched it entering the freeway, settled on 65 miles per hour and then just like always, smell enters the cabin with recirculation on. It was at the dealer another 8 days all...
  21. G

About to buy a 2013 Sport Explorer and these forums scare me!

I guess you can also say, beware of the Ford employees that are paid to post fake praise for Ford products on sites like this.
  22. G

About to buy a 2013 Sport Explorer and these forums scare me!

Well, I've been coming to this forum for over a year now. My unscientific poll is that 30% of the folks that come here have had multiple problems with their Explorers. Just look at the TSB sticky page. Of that 30% I'd say 10% qualify under Lemon Law statutes. So ask yourself, are you a...
Back