Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. K

2001 Sport Trac Aftermarket Security System

Hello fellows. I haven't posted here in a while. I haven't had to fix anything on my Explorers in a couple of years as near as I can remember. Some History: When I first got my '01 Sport Trac back in 2015 I recall posting about having some weird electrical gremlins and thinking they were...
  2. K

Great wiper blades for the price!

If you want some really good wiper blades at a bargain price, these can't be beat! They last almost as long as Bosh Evolution blades (same design) for under $17 for a pair. I've been using a set for over 13 months (in GA) on my ST and they're still working very well. I've since ordered extra...
  3. K

Head lights & turn/park/side marker light assemblies.

Hey guys, Just thought I'd post. I'm still alive and kicking and out of boredom I've been fiddling around with my Explorers. '01 Sport Trac: Had a bad lower ball joint, which was causing uneven tire wear. I'd replaced all the BJ's with cheap ones about 5 or 6 years ago (buy cheap, get cheap...)...
  4. K

Solved - Weird front brake pad issue on '01 Sport Trac

Hey Guys. I haven't been here for months, but I have a problem with strange front brake pad contact/wear on my '01 Sport Trac RWD. First some background... I decided that it was time to replace the front rotors on my Sport Trac. The old ones were very worn and had gotten very rusty while the...
  5. K

After 5 years of having a transmission problem I may have found the answer

Since I bought my 2001 Sport Trac 5 years ago I've been having an annoying issue with my automatic transmission. Although the previous owner pretty much destroyed this truck, through lack of maintenance and abuse, the transmission has always worked perfectly in the forward gears. The only issue...
  6. K

Motorcraft oil pressure switches

Why are Motorcraft oil pressure switches such poor quality? Every one of the Explorer's, Mountaineer's, my Sport Trac (SOHC's and V8's) and my daughter's 3.0L V6 Ford Fusion has had intermittent, or occasional, "CHECK GAGE" light come on because the oil pressure switches register no/low oil...
  7. K

Trans lines question

On a 2001 Sport Trac, do the metal transmission lines go over or under the sway bar? I removed mine while my engine was out and now I'm trying to reinstall them and I'm having trouble reinstalling them with the engine now in. I can't remember how they ran. Thinking they should go over the sway...
  8. K

Never use dielectric grease on O2 sensor electrical connectors

Two things I recently learned about O2 sensors and how they work. 1) An O2 sensor needs an open path to atmosphere. It needs this external oxygen source to be able to use as a reference. It draws in external O2 through its wiring jacket and electrical connector. If you pack your O2's electrical...
  9. K

A tip I got off YouTube that came in handy today

I was working on a car this afternoon (replacing a faulty oil pressure switch) and broke the locking tab off a weather-tight electrical connector. This is a pretty common occurrence when working on vehicles that are a few years old, either because the plastic release clips get brittle with age...
  10. K

Is there a trick to installing the rear main seal on a 4.0L?

I know how to get the old seal out and I have a new FelPro rear main seal for my 2001 Job II 4.0L SOHC. I see there's a special tool for installing the new seal w/out ruining it. The tool is around $100 (or more) and is used to press the seal in. I hate to spend $100+ on a tool I'll never use...
  11. K

Source for SOHC hydraulic chain tensioner seal (SOLVED)

I was researching the Ford OEM timing chain set for my '01 SOHC and I see it includes new front and rear hydraulic chain tensioners, but it does not appear that the metal gaskets for the tensioners is included. The metal gaskets do not appear to be included in the Fel-Pro full gasket set either...
  12. K

Another chirping 5.0L cam synchronizer

At least 5 years ago our '00 Mountaineer 5.0L developed a chirping noise, which drove me crazy. I finally figured out the noise was coming from the area of the cam position sensor (a common 5.0L issue). Someone suggested removing the sensor and to try putting a few drops of ATF on the cam...
  13. K

Need an inexpensive Group 65 battery w/3-year replacement warranty?

It's been in the mid-low 20's here in North GA the past few mornings. Yesterday I tried to start our semi-retired '00 Mountaineer 5.0L (265,000 + miles and counting) and it's already weak battery had bitten the dust. I decided that putting an expensive battery in this old gal just didn't make...
  14. K

Does anyone have the following part?

I need a good used replacement driver's retractable seat belt for the following: A 2000 Mountaineer (or 4-dr Explorer). Other years may be the same (maybe 2001) but I know there were some differences in the latch tang width and design in some Gen II years. I would prefer a tan belt. The...
  15. K

Synthetic Blend Motor Oil

Let me begin by saying, I've never used a synthetic blend motor oil, nor would I considering that quality full synthetic oil is not much more expensive (especially if you get it at Wally-World). I know our Fords came from the factory with Motorcraft Synthetic Blend motor oil in them and Ford...
  16. K

OMG I just bought a car and it's not an Explorer!

I wasn't really looking for a car, but I came across a 2009 Ford Fusion SEL w/low miles I just couldn't resist. Clean Car FAX (for what that's worth), one owner, 18" premium wheels, sport suspension pkg, heated leather seats, leather wrapped steering wheel, audiophile sound system, EATC...
  17. K

I did something dumb (re-titled 4.0L SOHC engine tear down)

I was taking my 4.0L SOHC engine apart and I got to the harmonic balancer removal. Months ago I'd watched several YouTube videos on different ways to do it and I should have gone back and re-watched them because I remembered it wrong (combining 2 separate methods). I'd recalled how I used to...
  18. K

A few pics of my old gal (and my POS Sport Trac)

Please go to post #5 to view photos.
  19. K

Spruce Green with Harvest Gold trim Eddie B.

I've always liked the Spruce Green/Harvest Gold Gen II Eddie Bauer Explorers. The other day I saw one for sale in front of a storage facility near my house. Next time I go out I'm going to check it out but I don't have my hopes up that it will match my list of requirements for purchase. -...
  20. K

Inexpensive Adjustable IAC

So the IAC valve on my 2001 Expl 5.0L started howling at idle about month ago. I removed it and cleaned it, but it didn't help. I had replaced the IAC valve on my 2000 XLT 5.0L (the spare truck) about 5 years ago when it started humming with $22 Chinese valve off eBay. It worked fine during the...
  21. K

Side air bag delete resistor trick (maybe)

The airbag warning light is always coming on in our '00 Mountaineer flashing 3-6 or 3-7. Wiggling the yellow resistor under the back of the front seats will make it go off, but it always returns. Recently @donalds told me that he sprayed WD40 into the resistor and the plug and put them back...
  22. K

Identifying a bad pulley bearing (5.0L)

So last weekend I was standing outside when my daughter fired up her '00 Mountaineer 5.0L. I heard the unmistakable sound of a bad bearing coming from the left front of the motor. I went and got my mechanics stethoscope and placed it on the alternator and heard a loud noise. Checked everything...
  23. K

Check the simple stuff first...

I just got done watching a YouTube video. I think the guy is the owner/mechanic and his shop is called something like "South Main Auto". A guy who had a 2007 Ford Escape had his truck towed to the shop. He had just finished rebuilding the engine and no matter what he tried he could not get it...
  24. K

Need replacement for Moog upper ball joint boots

I installed Moog Problem Solver upper control arms and lower ball joints on my 2001 5.0L Explorer about 13,000 miles ago. I was maintaining my truck today and went to grease my ball joints to find that the dust boots on both upper bj's were torn. Apparently Moog does not sell replacement dust...
  25. K

Lower ball joints again....

So I put 4 new tires on the 2000 Mountaineer last week and I asked that the alignment I got several months ago be rechecked as I was not happy with the way the old tires were wearing on the insides. I was told by the alignment tech that the lower ball joints were bad. I had changed the upper...
Back