Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

Towing Suspension Question

Swap out the rear leaf spring with those off a 4 door. They are a leaf pack as apposed to a single spring. If you need even more height in the rear get Monroe load adjust shocks. They have a spring built into the shock. For the front it's up to you. Monroe and rancho are both good choices.
  2. D

2001 explorer xls speaker size

5x7 or 6x8. They both work in place. Pioneer makes a bunch that are direct fit for Ford. You can make a 6.5" fit but you will need to buy mounting plates.
  3. D

anyone tried one of these plug & play direct replacement head units?

Eonon is an awesome brand. I would highly recommend buying straight from their website though, not through eBay. You pay a bit more but are guaranteed a warranty. I bought a radio from them for my BMW. It works great and was direct plug and play.
  4. D

Any long term Monroe "Load Leveler" coilover users?

They work great. Had them for a while and they hold up to tons of beating. Can't really go wrong. Wait until 'shocktober' at most auto parts places, good sales on shocks. (Mail in rebates)
  5. D

LED Headlight Bulbs

Late update, I just put factory HID projectors in. Honestly, nothing compares to a high quality projector.
  6. D

2000 Explorer - Installing Aftermarket HU

1991 to 1997 had an external amp for the speakers (Rear right quarter panel). If equipped with a factory subwoofer, there was a second amp there for the sub. 1998+ had the amp built into the head unit. Vehicles without a subwoofer would NOT have any amps there. If the vehicle came factory...
  7. D

Sub settings

I prefer Pioneer decks, but some of their phrasing in settings can be confusing. If you have Sub W off, it makes the sub/rear output the rear output. Turning it on enables sub output. The other 2 are just high pass filters and what not which you don't really need to play with. The Sub amp...
  8. D

Installing factory amp/sub in my 94. Wiring question.

Did you pull one out of a first gen or second gen? I did this in my second gen so I can dig up the wiring for that.
  9. D

Ball Joint Question from Mechanically Challenged Woman!

You can use Rock Auto. There are different options depending on brand you go with (I personally prefer Moog). The part numbers are straight forward, can't really pick the wrong ones, aside from the front right upper control arm which will give you a choice for 2 piece or 1 piece. I'm not...
  10. D

whoops

This is why you don't play with the arm pivot locks, leave them alone, and make sure the side locks work properly.. I've had cars up on hoists with only 2 opposite arms actually making contact. I know it's not a good idea but a car won't fall off the hoist like that.
  11. D

Help with double-din dash kit

This is all you'll need. http://www.metraonline.com/part/95-5817 The radio screws onto those brackets, and then just slides right in.
  12. D

whoops

It's very difficult to have a car fall off a maintained hoist.. The arms would have to swing out from underneath or sheer through sheet metal in the front. Unless the arm locks were tampered with, this should not happen.
  13. D

Projector headlights

Projector headlight housings for an 03 would be aftermarket. There is someone on this forum that makes them for the third gen, custom built, just can't remember the username off the top of my head.
  14. D

Help with double-din dash kit

What vehicle did you put it into? Another Explorer?
  15. D

New lights! Videos and pics

Unless you want to drill into your bumper. :D
  16. D

So did i total my buddy's rig with a spark plug? Let's find out (warning: Cologne V6)

Oh yeah, messed with me cause Cologne was code name for both V6s..
  17. D

So did i total my buddy's rig with a spark plug? Let's find out (warning: Cologne V6)

Did you ever get this thing out? The V6 OHV isn't really known for spark plug issues. I'm puzzled by how much trouble that one is giving you.
  18. D

Help! How can I get my low beams to stay on with high beams?

I would take the relay approach. When you turn the high beams on, it triggers the relay which then in turn causes the low beam relay to be shut off. I do recall reading somewhere on this forum a way to make high and low beams stay on at the same time. I'm pretty sure it involves jumping the...
  19. D

New lights! Videos and pics

Looks good. One thing I'd see is how mounting the light bar a bit higher would affect your light output from it. Putting it so low makes it glare a lot more off the road in front of you. Try putting it at around grill height and see how you like it.
  20. D

Front LED Domelights Doesn't Fully Shut Off

The video is private, we can't see it.
  21. D

Which adaptor plug?

How many speakers does your Ex have? Which head unit is it, and do you have a subwoofer?
  22. D

New Double Din HU with factory subwoofer

This issue also happens for some reason if you put the line input converters pre-amp on the older Explorers. Usually just a messed up wire, bad ground or wrong connection.
  23. D

Left front speaker not working

Did you ever solve this issue?
  24. D

Rockville RV 10.2A Subs Questions

If you're factory speakers sound ok to you, leave them be. The biggest sound upgrade is the headunit, then go from there. All you're adding is bass into the system by putting in a subwoofer, it depends what you're aiming for. Go with a new headunit and a subwoofer, then see how you like...
Back