Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. A

Key Fobs Not Working

Over the weekend, I disconnected the negative battery and walked away for 45 mins. Reconnected the negative battery, turned the engine on and all 3 key fobs work fine..bizarre.
  2. A

Key Fobs Not Working

I have a 2012 Explorer with 102,000 miles. It was purchased brand new at the end of 2011. It has been a rough 2018 with this vehicle with all the crazy maintenance but it is paid for and I don't have a loan. I have spent over $7700 in maintenance for 2018. Here is a quick summary 89,950 -...
  3. A

Replace water pump?

I'm at 98770 miles on the clock. I had my transmission flush at 56K and coolant flush at 80K. I could not find someone to service my PTU and that failed at 97K with the original fluid. Cost $1900 tax included to replace at a Ford dealer. I hope the water pump will last.
  4. A

PTU Flush Cost

There is a Firestone near me. I will reach out to them next time and see what they say.
  5. A

PTU Flush Cost

I wanted to have the fluid changed at ~60K but the dealer told me the same thing. I asked my local mechanic that I have used for a few years and he declined the request. My odometer recently passed 95K miles and on a random day driving home through the local streets, my car was making grinding...
  6. A

2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue

I have a 2012 Explorer. My power steering rack has been replaced twice. 1st time at in 2016 @ 64,908 under recall and the 2nd time was last week on 2/5/18 @ 89,950. Total cost = parts + labor + 4 wheel alignment = $2434.15
  7. A

2012 Ford Explorer maintenance record

I had my first tire replacements at 41K because of a nail. I'm still on my second set of tires at 90K with about 5/32" left on all threads. I plan to replace these before next winter. I'm aiming for Oct - Nov time frame. I agree in a lease situation I would pay less in maintenance cost but...
  8. A

I have updated my post with my total cost info.
  9. A

Hello All, In case anyone is interested, I am the original owner of this 2012 Ford Explorer. It is still my daily driver. This is my maintenance record so far. This has been my first brand new luxury vehicle that I paid. I purchased this vehicle at the end of 2011 and this will be my 7th...
  10. A

U.S. Expands Probe Into Ford Explorers Over Carbon Monoxide Concerns

I drive a 2012 with 82500 miles. The only time I have noticed the exhaust smell is when I'm sitting in Boston traffic with my windows open. Knock on wood, I have set to smell anything with windows closed and AC on. This type of news gets me nervous. I purchased my 2012 Explorer brand new and...
  11. A

PTU Problems

I have a 2012 Explorer with 80,0000 miles. I bought it to the dealer for my 'Works Package' and was advised the PTU was not serviceable. I asked my independent mechanic and he was unable to replace the gear oil.
  12. A

Valvoline Oil Change Trustworthy?

There are always good and bad shops and there are always human error. I used to bring my previous cars to my local Valvoline about 5 mins from my house. I had zero issues with them. They always brought over the dip stick to show you the current level and I see them bring over a oil filter...
  13. A

Split Armrest Issue

My 2012 driver side arm rest is splitting too, exactly like Post #268. I applied super glue at first and it helped but it still rips. I need to find a repair shop.
  14. A

OEM Or Aftermarket Brakes? Recommendations.

I agree with Post#2. I have purchased aftermarkets pads and rotors for my previous cars and they would rust fast and generate lots of brake dust. I do not notice it as much with OEM so I prefer to stick with it. Buying the parts only through Rockauto is a huge plus with great savings.
  15. A

Thinking of Ditching the Explorer

How much is too much? It seems normal for me. Again I'm a young owner. My previous car was a Scion Tc with zero technology and zero issues but it cost about $20K. My Explorer is twice the cost.
  16. A

#7 and #8 were maintenance issues were not related to poor build quality. Having 6 issues does not seem that bad.
  17. A

Here are some positive comments. I'm a young owner and my 2012 Ford Explorer is the 2nd Ford I have owned and I'm one of the lucky ones that have zero problems. I have driven it cross country about 6000 miles and it has not let me down. I purchased extended warranty for 10 year / 100,000...
  18. A

PTU and Rear Diff Fluid Change - 2011 Explorer XLT

Great write up. Thanks for the tutorial.
  19. A

Push Bar for Explorer

Yeah that sounds about right. I took awhile for mine to arrive.
  20. A

Cabin Air Filter Replacement

Cool. I never knew either. I have a K&N air filter since my car was new. It has 56K and I have yet to clean my K&N air filter.
  21. A

30,000 Maintenance

I have about 53K miles on my 2012 Explorer. It cost about $100 at my local Ford for an alignment. I'll get an annual check after our winter season and each time there were some changes but not drastic. But this all depends on your area.
  22. A

Water Leak

I noticed a water leak in the 3rd row of my car earlier this month after a huge rain storm. I brought it to the dealer to have them inspect it. They said the leaking was coming from body seam and they resealed seam. Cost $130. My recording of my leak. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSxZE6g0W08
  23. A

Split Armrest Issue

I have a 2012 Explorer with about 52K miles now and I had the rip on my arm rest early on. Probably around 30-35K. I used super glue to fix mine.
  24. A

enough doom and gloom, lets hear some high mileage, reliable 5th gen. stories.

2012 Explorer XLT with 50,600 miles. The Works package every 5000 - 7000 miles and a car wash once a week. She had 3 recalls, each recall was inspected but no parts were replaced. Belt replaced around 40K 4 New Tires around 41K - One of the OEM tires had a nail. I'm sure the OEM tires would...
  25. A

Keyless Entry (Securicode) Door Pad Not working

I'm having issues with my keypad entering the factory code. Will need to make a visit to the dealer at some point.
Back