Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

Oil pan plugs and changing oil

Whats the consensus on the special oil pan plugs that make oil changes easier? I saw one that you basically screwed a hose to and that pushed on a valve that drained the oil. It came with a protective cap for the times you dont want to drain the oil as well. ;) Are there any that are good to...
  2. M

Starters

Well i got the explorer back the other day and now its back at the apt where i can work on it. I was able to tap on the starter some and it started up. Needless to say i know its the starter now. :D So the next course of action was to order a new starter from NAPA so thats done and they...
  3. M

Starters

I read through that thread but didnt check with the volt meter. I am assuming the starter/solenoid is bad because when i try to start the car all that happens is the relay in the engine compartment fuse box clicks. I checked my battery and its at 12.5 volts. Also all the other accessories...
  4. M

Starters

I need a new starter ASAP. Currently my explorer is waiting up at my work and will not run. I called O'Riley auto parts and was told they had an Ultima in stock and called auto zone and they had a Duralast remanufactured in stock. Those were the only two i could track down as far as being in...
  5. M

Inner fender liner...is that the part name?

Id like to know as well as i too need a replacement set.
  6. M

Explorer chirping

I know its been a while but im looking at the issue again and after checking it with a short length of hose i bought it sounds like its either the water pump or the Cam position sensor. If i had to choose i would say the cam position sensor as yall noted. The sound is sharper there when i get...
  7. M

Explorer chirping

Thanks for the heads up on that. Ill pull the belt tomorrow and see if i hear anything. I spun the pullys when i changed the belt and the top ones didnt feel like they had an issue but i didnt check the bottom idler pulley now that i think about it. Running it for a minute with the belt...
  8. M

Explorer chirping

The sound is kind of what you would expect with a belt slipping but it isnt. for lack of a better example its an eekk eekk sound. I dont know enough about the engine to say much on this but how would the sensor make a sound? Is it a mechanical sensor? I dont mean that in a bad way its just...
  9. M

Explorer chirping

I see there is another similar post but didnt want to hijack his post so im starting a new thread. Here is my issue: I have a 98 v8 4 door explorer and have a chirp coming from the engine compartment. Ive tried replacing all the easy parts (tensioner, top idler pully, and the belt) with no...
  10. M

A few problems

I have a few problems with my 98 2wd v8 xlt. 1. While driving i sometimes get a bump feeling like ive been lightly rearended. This happens off and on. 2. while stationary i hear a clicking every now and then pretty often and it feels like the engine is randomly missing. For example ill...
  11. M

Tire advice

I need to get a new set of tires but i have a couple issues. First off i like my Bridgstone Dueller AT revos that are on there now in a 30x9.5 r15 but I can get a deal on a set of michelins or bfg tires so i really need to get one of those two to replace them. I dont really do any offroading...
  12. M

diamond clears again

Ive tried to read through some of the posts and see now that there are two at least different versions of the diamond clar headlights. It looks like the "older" one doesnt have a shield for the bulb but does have a ribbed floor ill call it in the headlight. The "newer" ones have a shield for...
  13. M

Battery question

Whats the consensus on using both sets of terminals on a optima battery for example. Say if i wanted to attach my stereo to one set and my cars wiring to the other. Also is there some kind of adapter for the screw in type terminals. I saw a set that looked like they would screw in to give a...
  14. M

quiet 5.0 exhaust

I know this has been asked before but most of the treads lead to louder exhaust than i am interested in. Right now i have a ravin 55 muffler and thats their kind of mid grade in loudness and flow from what i gather. I would like to change this to something like the stock muffler or even...
  15. M

98 5.0 rpm's too high

I checked the fluid and it looked full, clean and red so i thought that was good. I decided to try taking out the chip and that stopped the high revs. It liiks like some of the pins are a little too high so i think they may have not been making good contact. 410 Fortune you were right on...
  16. M

Adding a power antenna

Its been a while but i thinik it was one of the Better ones at walmart. I know i went cheap and now im paying for it. I would suggest either taking one from a wrecked newer explorer or a good aftermarket one. On the switch I just wired it in. It came with one that says up dn so i just...
  17. M

98 5.0 rpm's too high

Pretty much you have it. It seems like if i decided to keep my foot on the gas it would just not shift. Ill have to go check the fluid. As far as i know i dont think that has been changed and i have about 90k miles. They may have changed it about 50k but ill have to look that up too...
  18. M

Adding a power antenna

I put one on mine but it was pretty uneventful so i dont thing you have anything to worry about. I need to replace mine now because i bought one that i thought would be ok but the mast gets grease on it and at times it wont fully retract. Extended you see the grease too. I pretty much just...
  19. M

98 5.0 rpm's too high

Ive noticed that recently my revs in first gear have been much higher than normal. I was making a turn and accelerated and the rpm was past the 40 mph mark on my speedometer :eek:. Since i was turning and wasnt accelerating the needles accually crossed. Its been doing it every time i...
  20. M

PCM questions

Not to sound too stupid here but the calibration code is that the bold 4 character set or the longer set on middle row? The bold set is the same on both but the other is different because ford reflashed my pcm one time while it was in the shop. Unless i can use one of the scan tools from...
  21. M

double din? or 1 1/2?

Im pretty positive that ive seen people that mounted double din head units in their explorers. The thing is like you said to make the bracklet to hold it in there and you will have to trim some of the little flange around the hole where the head unit slides in. Thats all i remember them doing.
  22. M

Swap in a digital cluster?

A year or two ago i e-mailed dacota digital i believe about making a set and they said they could do it. The price though if i remember right was either $500 or $700 for the new setup. So you may try them and see if they will still do it and what it would cost. My application was a 98 explorer.
  23. M

PCM questions

If im following you right you mean the 4 bold character code can be the same but its the long alphanumeric code on the second line. If that is the case then the two are different even though the two computers have the same code on that line because the dealership reprogrammed my factory pcm...
  24. M

changing avator

humm not seeing that maybe you have to have a certain number of posts too.
  25. M

changing avator

I guess this is the right place to ask. Where do i chage my avator? I see the one page under the user control panel but i dont see a way or option to upload a picture. Thanks, Major
Back