Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

Oil pan plugs and changing oil

Whats the consensus on the special oil pan plugs that make oil changes easier? I saw one that you basically screwed a hose to and that pushed on a valve that drained the oil. It came with a protective cap for the times you dont want to drain the oil as well. ;) Are there any that are good to...
  2. M

Starters

I need a new starter ASAP. Currently my explorer is waiting up at my work and will not run. I called O'Riley auto parts and was told they had an Ultima in stock and called auto zone and they had a Duralast remanufactured in stock. Those were the only two i could track down as far as being in...
  3. M

Explorer chirping

I see there is another similar post but didnt want to hijack his post so im starting a new thread. Here is my issue: I have a 98 v8 4 door explorer and have a chirp coming from the engine compartment. Ive tried replacing all the easy parts (tensioner, top idler pully, and the belt) with no...
  4. M

A few problems

I have a few problems with my 98 2wd v8 xlt. 1. While driving i sometimes get a bump feeling like ive been lightly rearended. This happens off and on. 2. while stationary i hear a clicking every now and then pretty often and it feels like the engine is randomly missing. For example ill...
  5. M

Tire advice

I need to get a new set of tires but i have a couple issues. First off i like my Bridgstone Dueller AT revos that are on there now in a 30x9.5 r15 but I can get a deal on a set of michelins or bfg tires so i really need to get one of those two to replace them. I dont really do any offroading...
  6. M

diamond clears again

Ive tried to read through some of the posts and see now that there are two at least different versions of the diamond clar headlights. It looks like the "older" one doesnt have a shield for the bulb but does have a ribbed floor ill call it in the headlight. The "newer" ones have a shield for...
  7. M

Battery question

Whats the consensus on using both sets of terminals on a optima battery for example. Say if i wanted to attach my stereo to one set and my cars wiring to the other. Also is there some kind of adapter for the screw in type terminals. I saw a set that looked like they would screw in to give a...
  8. M

quiet 5.0 exhaust

I know this has been asked before but most of the treads lead to louder exhaust than i am interested in. Right now i have a ravin 55 muffler and thats their kind of mid grade in loudness and flow from what i gather. I would like to change this to something like the stock muffler or even...
  9. M

98 5.0 rpm's too high

Ive noticed that recently my revs in first gear have been much higher than normal. I was making a turn and accelerated and the rpm was past the 40 mph mark on my speedometer :eek:. Since i was turning and wasnt accelerating the needles accually crossed. Its been doing it every time i...
  10. M

changing avator

I guess this is the right place to ask. Where do i chage my avator? I see the one page under the user control panel but i dont see a way or option to upload a picture. Thanks, Major
  11. M

PCM questions

I wanted to change my PCM (dont ask its a screw up on my part) so i bought one with the same 4 bold numbers and what i assume to be the part # under the EEC-V line. It turns out my car wont start with this computer for some reason. Its for the same year engine and transmission as my old...
  12. M

silverstar marker bulbs

I need to change the bulbs in my marker lights. I have a little delimma though. I like the blue look when off and the lighting up white but i dont like the dim white or brown i should say when the lights are not blinking. Ive thought about switching over to the silverstars but i havent really...
  13. M

Power antenna

I have a cheap power antenna on my explorer now and it gets greese on the post and wont go all the way down sometimes. Does anyone know of a good aftermarket power antenna or do you think i should just try to get a factory one from a junkyard. Thanks, Major
  14. M

Fog Lights

Its getting time to change my front fog lights. I would really like to have clear lenses but would also like having a amber lighting bulb. I may wire up a second set for all white. Whats the story on all the amber lights with the blue lenses? So im asking what types of fogs have yall...
  15. M

remote chip plug in

Do any of you know the wiring diagram for the explorer computer i think mine is the eec v. The expansion port part is all i really care about. I was thinking of making an extension to that so i could put the chip on and take it out without having to take the computer out every time. I know...
  16. M

Apten chip

Whats the current story on the apten chips? I heard good things for a while then i started to hear things went down hill. I was thinking of having my superchip reburned by them since i have it out right now but if it isnt worth it or they have some issue now id like to hear about it. Have any...
  17. M

chip ?

I ran a superchip in my explorer for maybe 2 years with no trouble Then a couple months ago i had a problem. The car would kind of randomly not start and it wouldnt start until it wanted to again. So i went through some troubleshooting and decided to take out the chip and it started right up...
  18. M

radio reset

Anyone know any tricks to where i could add a little battery backup to my head unit so i dont lose all my settings when i have to take my battery loose. It isnt the radio presets i care about but the other settings like bass, treble, bass focus, crossover settings and all that.
  19. M

Another exhaust question

Ok right now i have a ravin 55 muffler on my stock pipes. I love the idle sound but have gotten tired of the noise under acceleration. Highway doesnt really bother me but then again ive gotten used to it. I want a quieter muffler but dont want to drop back in performance. Any ideas? Ive...
  20. M

poly suspension bushings

I have a 98 xlt that i think its time to change some of the suspension bushings. It squeeks allot going over bumps and when i turn the wheel while still or going slow hear a popping noise sometimes when i turn the wheel. Anyway can yall recomend a good set to go with and if you know about what...
  21. M

time for new shocks?

My suspension is really starting to squeek going over speedbumps and slow offroad. Its to the point now where it is just annoying so do yall think the shocks may be the problem? I have about 76000 miles on my 98 2wd xlt and i put on the shocks pretty much a month or two after i bought the car...
  22. M

wheel vibrations?

I had a set of bridgestone at revo's put on a while back and ive notced a vibrating sound and feel when i start moving or go around turns from a stop. Has anyone else experienced this? Its annoying to me because it feels like i dont have traction but the tires dont seem to have the spinning...
  23. M

blinkers

How hard do yall think it would be to reverse the blinker function. I was thinking about maybe having it be bright all the time with the lights on then dim when the blinker switched. Secondly is there a heat issue with this. if so it seems that you could make a small led array and just...
  24. M

dueler A/T Revo

Im looking for a new set of tires and saw where the bridgestone dueler a/t revo was mentioned by a few people. Can yall comment on how it performs both on the street and offroad. Now i have the BFG AT kos and like them for the most part but want to try something different. Anyway i need to...
  25. M

unknown squeeking noise

Im having a little annoying noise starting to gradually get worse. its a squeeking sound but i cant figure out where its coming from. Im pretty sure its somewhere in the front and the suspension may be the culpret. when i was looking at it today i drove up on a curb then backed off it and...
Back