Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

146 miles and 3/4 tank gone...

I will check the FR vac line. I have 3 o2s. One on each manifold and one between the last 2 cats. Odd, I know. Y'Know... I bought this thing, really as a Bronco II fan. I thought "Really, how much different can they be?", now I get that there would be more in the way of emissions and computer...
  2. M

Yeah... the fronts look fine.
  3. M

I do have an o2 reading 0.0v most of the time. It will occasionally jump to 0.3 and then drop back to 0.0. It is the last o2 sensor behind the cats. That is a possibility, although a mechanic friend of mine told me that reading could be normal.
  4. M

This is absolutely driving me crazy. Something is killing my mileage. I have no codes and I am getting 9 to 13 mpg. It doesn't matter whether I drive it like I borrowed it or drive it like I stole it. Same either way. There are no codes. The vacuum is fine and I can't find any leaks, the cats...
  5. M

01 sport v6

I have heard that the timing chain issues were corrected for the 05 model year. I have an 01 sport with an 07 Mustang V6. That'll fix it!
  6. M

Explorer Sport 01 Fuel w/full tank reading 3/4

Sounds like the float doesn't float very well! Although I suppose it is better than it going all the way to full and staying there... It could also be a dead spot in the variable resistor that is part of the sending unit in the tank. My best advice is to leave it alone until it fails... At...
  7. M

700R4 transmission swap ?

700R4 and their electronic cousin the 4L60E are NOTORIOUS for busting sprags! they are made from cheapo stamped steel. You would be MUCH better off fixing or replacing the original! (unless you want to swap in a 4.3 or a 350 and the computer from ... well nevermind... that is a different thread!)
  8. M

Found loose Tube.

That cap is likely your problem then. If it doesn't fit and seal right, you WILL get an evap code. either way, you still have a good size vacuum leak there! I would take care of both of those and you will probably be happy! Sidenote: Must be nice to live in a state where it is okay for the CEL...
  9. M

Another strange one... Idle and power

Thanks 2000. I cleaned the throttle plates and checked for free movement. All looks good there. The temp sensor seems to be working. It stays around ambient temperature until the thermostat opens. You can see it climb once the thermostat opens and runs up to about 190 and pretty much stays...
  10. M

Ok... so an update... I checked the plugs and tried other wires. No change. I drove it and noticed that when I press it to the floor, it won't downshift unless I really bear down on the accelerator pedal and really force it down into the carpet. The TPS never reports WOT. 90% is as far as I...
  11. M

2001 Sport manual hub conversion?

Yeah... that's what I thought. Thanks!
  12. M

97 XL OHV Stuttering uphill....

HOLY CAMEL MAN! That is a full crap load of postings! Also, if the truck has aftermarket plug wires on it... like Duracrap or whatever the house brand is at your local "Did it myself" auto parts store... YANK 'EM! They are nothing but trouble! I have cheaped put a couple of times when money...
  13. M

Ok, so my '01 Sport has to have something wrong with it. Here are the symptoms: 9 to 14 miles per gallon. Low power... feels like a 4 cylinder. Erratic idle. The story so far: I bought this thing off of a used car lot a couple months ago. 3 days later, I found out it had a blown head gasket...
  14. M

2001 Sport manual hub conversion?

Ok, so I am sort of a newb to the Explorer. I have an '01 Sport 4x4. I want to know if there is a way to convert it to a manual hub setup since the front axle is live all the time. I don't want to do an axle swap and it doesn't have any kind of computer controlled AWD feature. I have searched...
  15. M

97 XL OHV Stuttering uphill....

Plug wires.
  16. M

Little things that need to be fixed on your Ex...

I have to snap the driver's side seat cover clip back onto the seat frame on the inboard side. That about covers it. Oh... No wait! The amber paint is wearing off of the front turn signal bulbs too...
  17. M

Need Help Fast!! 98 OHV Running Terrible!!

First thing is ditch those Bosch plugs! Put in Motorcraft or Autolite. Bosch has been known to cause more problems than it fixes. I have seen MANY cars come into the shop with a check engine light or running ragged. Change out the Bosch parts and BANG! Good to go! I am not sure about the...
  18. M

Just about to put the X on Craigslist... Until...

Yes, the light comes on when the pedal is pressed down. Asking my wife to see it and respond to it is a totally different matter. Brake pedal was released, but the parking brake in the top hat was dragging.
  19. M

01 Explorer with 08 SOHC motor, rough idle.

I also have a 'stanger in my X. try cleaning the throttle plates.
  20. M

Windshield wipers do not work

Maybe a bad wiper module? Just guessin'.
  21. M

Just about to put the X on Craigslist... Until...

Yeah. I know. I am just lazy. I am religious about it on a manual transmission vehicle. Besides... Nothing like having your wife tell you that your car has no power and a burning plastic smell after returning from having her nails done 20 miles away.:rolleyes:
  22. M

Shall I say frequent misfire 4th cylinder

Yes... stop leak will stop up the WORKS! My bad on the engine. Yes, an OHV is not hard at all. I did mine in grass in the front yard with only hand tools. Okay. I DID use an air ratchet and an impact from time to time, but it isn't as if you need a lift or a concrete floor (Although it WOULD...
  23. M

worrying problem ? help needed please

I am not sure what an m.o.t. is... I am guessing some kind of an inspection... I am also not entirely sure what you were having welded. The body? frame? If it was the frame, I suppose it is possible that something is not lined up correctly and causing a bind. Can you provide more info? maybe a...
  24. M

won't idle

Either the IAC or it needs new upper intake seals. They are just big O ring like seals and it isn't a big deal. 2 hours in your driveway.
  25. M

Shall I say frequent misfire 4th cylinder

Not to step on any toes here, but here is what "Stop Leak" is good for... These are the head gaskets from my Bronco II after someone used Stop Leak to "fix" a water pump leak. It also resulted in replacing the radiator and sealed up the heater core quite nicely. Oh yeah... and caused the head to...
Back