Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Programming headlights with Forscan?

No - I'm trusting the seller that it was good. It came without the LED module and I'm questioning whether my original is any good. When I picked up the car from auction, the headlight was destroyed and the module was dangling in the wheel well and saw some abuse after the accident. I may...
  2. S

Programming headlights with Forscan?

Has anyone had any luck programming a headlight with Forscan on this generation Explorer? As part of the rebuild of collision damage, I picked up a used headlight on Ebay. Low beams work fine but no high beams. Forscan has a service feature where it will go through the motion of programming...
  3. S

2020 explorer xlt total loss or fixable!???

I am late to the party on this response but thought I would chime in since I rebuild damaged cars as a hobby. I just finished rebuilding a 21 XLT that I bought from auction after a deer collision. Front end damage was almost identical to your photos with no rear quarter panel damage and I...
  4. S

crankshaft oil seal removal (front)

Hi, I've got the harmonic balancer off the engine (4.0 OHV) and can see the crankshaft seal. I don't have the special tool to pull the old seal out. Is there any trick I can use to get that sucker out without having a special tool? I was thinking about two long small diameter screws on...
  5. S

'98 XLT Towing pop up camper towing questions

Like the others have said, go for a frame mounted hitch. I owned a popup camper for the last three years (just sold this spring). The frame mounted hitch gives you a few extra degrees of turning when backing up instead of binding the frame of the camper against the bumper. When you have small...
  6. S

Loosing Collant!

I had the same issue on my 98 a few years ago - no obvious signs of a bad gasket or cracked head besides slowly loosing coolant. I pulled a sample of the oil and had it sent in to a lab for analysis ($20). Found the oil had about 2% antifreeze it in. Heads were pulled shortly after were I...
  7. S

stabilizer bar link and bolt replacement

Replacement is pretty straightforward. Usually, the nuts on the link will be pretty rusted. I used a sawzall last time to remove, but an angle grinder would work too.
  8. S

98 xlt 4wd 4.0 sohc rear diff fluid change

If you are doing the rear, you may want to think about the front as well. It isn't that hard as long as you use a vacuum pump/fluid extractor to pull out the old oil.
  9. S

Help with my 2000 Explorer

Just a thought, can you unplug the IAT sensor and see if there are any changes in performance? When the computer is missing data on some sensors, it MAY go into a safe mode to compensate for the lack of info. I'm not totally sure if this applies to the IAT though.
  10. S

Oil blow by??

No quick fix. Blow by is usually caused by worn piston rings which allow oil up into the combustion area of the cylinder. It's a live with it until it dies problem or drop cash on a rebuild problem.
  11. S

Towing with a V6 anyone??

I have a 98 with the 4.0 OHV, and I've towed an enclosed trailer (same size) before. Just keep it out of overdrive and it isn't too bad. My boat actually weighs about twice what the trailer did, and the boat pulls easier due to wind resistance.
  12. S

What might have caused this (fire)?

If you are serious about parting out the vehicle, some insurance companies MAY let you "buy back" the totaled vehicle for the same price as what the junkyard would pay the insurance company. Never hurts to ask. It also means you are going to have a crispy hunk of metal sitting around the...
  13. S

Am I crazy? DIY rebuild on a 5R55E

Well, I'm thru the valve body rebuild thread and the A4LD rebuild diary - great info. It really helps seeing the color pictures to go along with the descriptions. My basic Ford maintenance CD has all the step by step instructions on the disassembly/reassembly of the guts, but I still intend on...
  14. S

Am I crazy? DIY rebuild on a 5R55E

I have a 98 X with about 155k miles on the clock. Transmission is starting to leak and the torque convertor shudder is starting to get worse. When towing the boat lately (bout 2500# at most), the transmission started to make a grinding noise when cruising in 4th gear (O/D off for towing). It...
  15. S

Door Latch Assembly

Is the 97 setup different from the 98? On my 98, there were two screws to release the interior handle which allowed me to release the rod. When I did my latch replacement, I gained some additional real estate inside the door by removing the track that the window rides in. Disconnecting the...
  16. S

Oil Weight & high milage

I agree with the others - If it's not broke, don't fix it. I have 155k miles right now and I hardly use any oil between changes.
  17. S

2nd gen piece of crap !!

My handle on the liftgate sticks also. It usually just takes another firm grab and then releasing as fast as possible (kinda like a snaping motion). Its not a fix, just another way to cope with the issue.
  18. S

Front & rear differential fluids

Like someone else mentioned, the suction gun is a lifesaver for diff fluid. It's almost a necessity to get access to the fluid in the front differential and it keeps you from having to open the cover on the rear and clean/reseal. Also, make sure to check to see if you have the LSD in the...
  19. S

Crankshaft oil seal replacement - 4.0 OHV

Thanks for the hint on the socket.
  20. S

Please help air bag deployed

I thought the airbags wouldn't deploy unless you had an equivalent force of a 40 mph collision. Can anyone verify this? I just find it hard to believe that the force from a jeep rolling down a driveway was enough to set off the air bags. I've been wrong before too, so I'd be curious if...
  21. S

Crankshaft oil seal replacement - 4.0 OHV

I've got a little oil leaking from the front of the engine at the crankshaft seal. I would guess it leaves the spot the size of a quarter every day. Can anyone who has done this repair answer a few questions for me? 1. Do I need a special tool to set the new seal at the proper depth? My...
  22. S

PATS key questions..

I had troubles on my 98 with the key not operating the door locks all the time, but it did operate the ignition. Turned out my key was pretty worn. I was able to get a key cut to match the original keying by taking my title to the dealer and showing them a photo ID. I had a cheapie key cut...
  23. S

wheel bearing symptoms?

When my bearings went bad, the noise was more of a constant grinding sound - not clunking. Good luck.
  24. S

Oil Pan Drain Plug

Well - NAPA auto parts and $5.50 later and I have a drain plug. Spendy, but not as bad as it could have been.
Back