Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

How to: END ALL 98-01 REAR WIPER PROBLEMS!

The reason why the 98-01 wiper relays go to ground is because the circuit is designed with two separate circuit actions. Electrical current flows through the wiper up relay, through the original 98-01 motor in one direction, and then through the wiper down relay to ground to complete the wiper...
  2. J

Any thoughts on these symptoms/engine codes

Try Photobucket. Registration is free. Make sure your image is an appropriate size and has an appropriate filename. Upload the image to your library. Go to your library and point to the image and popup menu for that image. Click on "Get Links". A box will appear with links for posting that image...
  3. J

I had a whole bunch of engine codes once after some major work. I had them checked and was told things like "it's your oxy sensor, it's your fuel filter, maybe a bad fuel injector". None of the above. The people that did the engine work did not reconnect the PCM computer's ground wire to the...
  4. J

There is something that has been bugging me. We know for a fact the generic electronic module (GEM) from the 1999 model alternates the direction of current "pulses" through its wiper motor to create the up and down cycle. But I don't know exactly how the GEM from the 2002/2003 model controls its...
  5. J

98 Sport Air Bag light code 52

Airbag codes are not standardized across many Ford models and years. The eHow airbag code list may not apply to your vehicle. I know it does not apply to my 99 Explorer XLT. The thread at the following link has a list at post #37 . It may only partially apply to your model/year as it did...
  6. J

I would start with checking all the spark plugs to make sure they are not fouled up, corroded, or damaged. Make sure they are properly gapped. Personally, I like to use spark plugs that don't require gapping. They are more expensive but faster to install - literally plug and play. Also make...
  7. J

vehicle acts like battery is dead.

Check the ignition switch for lateral movement. Is your ignition switch the kind that sticks out of the steering column and you can grab on to it (with or without the key in it)? If so and with your driver's door open, put the key in the ignition switch and listen for the annoying "ding" noise...
  8. J

transmission vibration? Torque Converter shudder? U-Joint? Stumped.

When my 99 Explorer was given to me, it had some of the same symptoms. It lunged from park to reverse when backing out of a space. It jerked and shuttered at a certain RPM while cruising and seemed to jump in and out of the wrong gear. I told the parents there was something wrong with it. They...
  9. J

Here is a simplified version without all the irrelevant stuff. ==============================================
  10. J

You may be right. If you look at my diagrams on post #22 , you will see the violet/yellow wire from the GEM park sense goes through the old motor and then to ground. On the modified diagram, I just have the violet/yellow wire hanging and labeled "no longer used". Maybe it should be connected to...
  11. J

I reposted my original diagrams way back on post #22 and a pic of my jumper block on post #66.
  12. J

I got a relay at the junkyard when looking for other parts. I made a jumper block by cutting off the three appropriate blades with a small rotary tool and made sure the two remaining blades had continuity through the internal switching mechanism. The plastic case is easy enough to pry open. It...
  13. J

Sometimes when I try to explain something I make it more complicated than it should be. This is perfect.
  14. J

Sincerest apologies I have to apologize for not responding much, much sooner. I have been wanting to get back to this thread but... life? Brutal winter, work, family, etc. I lost access to the server where I posted my diagrams. That's why they disappeared from the thread and I had a...
  15. J

I was hoping the OP (Willcall) would check out my solution and diagrams and tell me if they made sense or if they might work. I don't know if he got his rear wiper working or not. My understanding of circuits has limits but I thought I was on to something. My diagrams have disappeared because...
  16. J

Worth replacing the splash shield?

The ones I got were under: 1999 > Explorer > SOHC > Body-Exterior > Inner Fender: Right and Left Fender Splash Shield One or two remaining at this moment. I don't know if the listing stays up if they are sold out. I checked the 1998 and don't see it listed - ???.
  17. J

Worth replacing the splash shield?

I bought a pair from Rockauto for about $24.00 (shipping included). They are made of a more durable material than the original; rubber or some type of vinyl maybe. If you go to a junkyard you will find them in the same condition as your old ones - worn out.
  18. J

rear window wiper

If you you haven't already found what you are looking for, then try this link. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226424&highlight=1999+rear+wiper
  19. J

Air Bag Light suddenly came on?!?!?

I gave up on trying to find a side crash sensor to get the side airbag working. The upright part of the seat didn't have any fabric on it anyway and the fabric on the seat bottom was in poor condition. I switched the upright part of the seat back to the original one with no side airbag and I...
  20. J

Success! My Explorer did not originally have any side airbags. I had to replace the driver seat a few years ago and the only one I could find had a side airbag in it. Since the warning light did not change (code 19), I did not think about whether or not the side airbag was working. When I...
  21. J

Circuit diagrams ========================================================= ========================================================= I found the diagrams and have reposted them here (OBVSLY). The gray areas on the modified circuit are where changes have been made. The 4-wire...
  22. J

I will post the diagrams as soon as I figure out how.
  23. J

I beleive your rear wiper circuit is controlled by two relays. It sounds like you bypassed one relay when you tapped into the amp wiring. Also, current through the black/light blue wire is controlled by a relay. It would not be continuous. It would "pulse" as you call it. Both the 3-wire...
  24. J

I went to a salvage yard and found Restraints Control Module XL2A-14B321-EB in a 2000 Explorer with no apparent front or side crash damage. It cost about $42.00 with a $7.00 core charge. I kept the old one because I wasn't sure if the replacement would be better or worse. So I guess the old...
  25. J

You can download and print circuit diagrams from the Auto Repair Reference Center website. It saved me from taking the vehicle in for air conditioner repair. I thought it was a bad compressor clutch but it was just a broken relay in the fuse box.
Back