Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

Idle Air Control? Or Something Else?

After driving several miles yesterday the Explorer seems to be running just fine with the Motorcraft IAC.
  2. R

I installed a Motorcraft IAC last night and during a short test drive the Explorer seems to be doing just fine. I'll know more after today.
  3. R

I bypassed the white wire with the blue stripe tonight. No change.
  4. R

If I have time tonight I'll run a wire from the PCU connection on the firewall directly to the IAC and see what happens. Bypassing the white/blue wire in the harness. I already did a resistance check on the white/blue wire and it showed no resistance but who knows. Thanks for everyone's help so far.
  5. R

The gasket is installed.
  6. R

I have cleaned the MAF sensor and the throttle body. Everything is clean. One other thing I did was remove the IAC and cover the hole with duct tape then cut a small hole in the duct tape to get the engine to idle at around 800 rpm. After I did this, I could turn offf the engine and reatart it...
  7. R

I have a 2003 4.6 V8 Explorer and a couple of months ago it started idling to slow and stalling. I bought a Borg Warner Idle Air Control from O Reilly's. After swapping it out it caused the engine to idle way up (around 2,800 rpm) at start up and it would slowly idle down to around 800 rpm. It...
  8. R

Front End Binding & Clunking When Turning

Turns out it was an output shaft speed sensor in the transfer case. I assume it was the front sensor but I replaced both front and rear sensors. $135 later, problem solved. Does anyone know how to check the oss sensors out of the vehicle? Thanks again for everyones help.
  9. R

I took the Explorer to have it scanned for codes and the guy told me to replace the rear abs sensor first because the light was on. His scanner showed it was the rear abs sensor. Sorry I didn't mention this before. The abs light was on when I bought it so I didn't think too much about it. He...
  10. R

I plugged the transfer case/motor back in tonight. Same as before. Something in the auto. 4X4 is causing the front differential to engage. It shifts in and out of 4 low just fine. Could it be the control module for the 4 wheel drive? I guess I'll know more Thursday night when we hook the scanner...
  11. R

Thanks. I'll plug it back in after work today and go for a test drive. I have a friend with a Snap On code reader. I'll have him check the codes. I wonder what the chancs are of the problem being the switches on the dash that control the 4 wheel drive or something else electrical.
  12. R

After work I jacked both front wheels up off the ground, turned the steering wheel all the way to the right, and spun both wheels by hand. No sounds coming from the CV joints. I unplugged a main harness (large black plug) at the rear of the transfer case. I drove the Explorer around the parking...
  13. R

Thanks for the quick responses. Does the Auto. 4X4 Explorer have the viscus coupler? Or is that just in the AWD Explorers? What is the best way to check the CV joint? Who makes the best aftermarket replacement? It sure sounds and feels like the left front but I could be wrong. After work today...
  14. R

Just realized I have an open differential. I hope adding the friction modifier doesn't cause a problem. Should I drain the rear differential?
  15. R

Hello. Yesterday I replaced the front left hub assembly on my 2003 Explorer due to a bad bearing. I thought maybe the bad bearing was also the cause of the clunking and binding coming from the front end. Wrong. After replacing the hub assembly it's still doing it. It appears to be fine when...
Back