Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. G

I did my Transmission Drain and fill today.

I bought my filter at Napa $40 bucks. Pep Boys had the same filter for like $31 but didn't have it in stock. somewhere between 30 to 40 bucks. The dealer is like $68;
  2. G

There are no Dumb questions brother! Uou will drain the pan through the drain plug, that requires a Torx bit, buy an American set at Napa, sears, pep boys. The set should be no more than $15 or so. Drain about 5 qts out of the pan, there will be about 1 qt in the lower part of the pan and...
  3. G

80,000 miles, 2006 Limited Changed engine oil and filter, MotoCraft 5-30 Changed Trans filter and fluid 14 qts of Pennzoil MercV. drain once refill with 7 qts, ran trans through gears, drained and filled, added 20 oz Lubegard Red... I swear by this stuff. (last drain and fill with filter...
  4. G

Winter complaints

This may work for your thick cord engine heater. Get 6 or 8 feet of 15 amp (or whatever would be enough length and amperage) extension cord. plug it into the engine heater. snake the extension safely around the fan shroud. work it over to the engine bay side wall. Zip tie it wherever you can...
  5. G

Help with stock fog lights '06 Limited 4.0

Thanks for responding Lukas2009, ... from way over in Deutschland! I am 4th generation German. Manns (or Munz, Muntz we are not sure since no one could read or write back then) family was from Frankfurt 1900's or so they came to America. Anyway thanks for the reply. It turns out that you...
  6. G

Come on somebody has to have an idea what's going on here. I'm gettin' tired of talking to myself here... .....Never mind I figured it out
  7. G

07 Limited pulls right

While its up on the lift for tires ask the tech to look at the front suspension... worn front end parts would present different symptoms but, It would be nice to know what condition those parts are in. I just replaced my ball joints at 75,000 miles I was surprised it needed them.
  8. G

One of my fog lights burned out Phillips h10-9145. So, I got 2 new Sylvania h10-9145, I just put them in and niether one of them works now. What am I doing wrong? the connections are tight, the bulbs are exactly the same they fit. Whe I turn on the fog light switch it doesn't work. Does it have...
  9. G

Fluids Change Frequency

Well then maybe every 2 years (around 30,000) I use the synthetic stuff exceeds Dot 3 and 4. Valvoline, Castrol and Prestone make it compatible w conventional Brake Fluid. There are 2 methods you can flush it if you are a decent shade tree mechanic by bleeding the calipers all the way around...
  10. G

Fluids Change Frequency

Let's see Trans fluid on my "06 L 6cyl I try to do every 30,000, I just change at 43,000 a few days ago. Now I drain and fill, drive, drain and fill and drive. So my method is really not a complete flush but 90%. The fluid that was in there from 30,000 to 73,000 was blood red and still had that...
  11. G

steering wheel shakes at 60 mpg and higher...

I doubt it's your bearings, that's not to say it couldn't be. Bearings usually have an unmistakable sqeal at slower speeds. I'm pretty sure you are looking at ball joints because that is the exact same symptoms and mileage I had. You could take it and just ask the mechanic to put it on the...
  12. G

Well you see, the pantabular codistributor chip in the CPU has a setting that most people don't know about, can be adjusted to reach extaordinarily high mpg. One of the side effects however disbiliation of and distoriation of the dedicular steerastrator, which causes the steering to shake. I...
  13. G

The service guy said yes. I have had about 20 Fords over 40 years, other than a few german cars and 1 chevy van and 1 toyota and 1 subaru, always had Fords. From focuses, Fiesta, Econolines, Torino, merc cougar, crown vics, Merc Marquis, 3 or 4 pickups, 4 or 5 windstars, an aerostar, Taurus an a...
  14. G

Yep, The service guy said they see a lot of these explorers with worn out ball joints at around 75,000 to 80,000 miles. I can't say weather he is right or wrong. But, mine were shot that was 5 years so, for me not too bad.. The steering feels solid again, like when it was new. My cost was $447...
  15. G

lifted 2007 explorer

Looks awesome, with the wheels and tires how much would your whole set up cost? Can I do it myself with regular garage jacks and tools? How much if I had a shop do it?
  16. G

I took it back to pep boys. They rebalanced to tires, and found that the ball joints shot. So, I had them replaced and it drives like a new car.:cool:
  17. G

That's possible. I got 4 new tires recently at pep boys, sometimes they are good and sometimes they get chimpazees from the zoo to fill in when someone calls in sick. I'll take a sac of bananas and get them to check the balancing.:) You don't think it's a suspension bushing, ball joint...
  18. G

Hello Girls and Boys, I'm new here I hope this is the right place to post this. My 2006 Explorer Limited, 4 liter bone stock machine, 75,500 miles on the clock. Steering and front end starts to vibrate at 60 mpg and is shaking at 80 mpg. What do I have? I feel all the shake in the steering...
Back