Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. E

BackBone's '97 Mercury Mountaineer

Still rubs a bit even with a 3".
  2. E

Solved SOHC V6 Timing Chain Parts Sources

Alright, so update. It was definitely the hydraulic tensioner that had failed, I bought another and installed it but the slapping was twice as loud! Oh noes. I gave up and just drove the ******* home thinking it was over, but a few drives later randomly went quiet again. Seems that the...
  3. E

Xlt explorer custom_s 1997

Water sprays up behind those taillights pretty easily when hitting watery/mud, I wouldn't say that is the safest spot.
  4. E

Sorry, to clarify; the hydraulic/spring tensioner due to it quieting down a bit after initial start up.
  5. E

Update ladies and gentleman, After approximately 40,000 km (25,000 miles) the front timing chains have begun to rattle again using the 4USA kit. I believe it is likely the front tensioner has failed. I will be buying a new tensioner and seeing if that rectifies the issue.
  6. E

I feel that a lot of this work you have done will be quickly destroyed when you go truly offroad. If I had lights positioned like yours on the rear they would be smashed off very quickly. I'm actually surprised you havn't built a skid plate for your radiator up the front yet (it's really a big...
  7. E

Kristy & Kai's Aussie Dora II

Looks great! You get a custom made bracket to lift the rear bumper?
  8. E

Looks awesome as usual. You never replied to my request for a little help on installing the snorkel! I got the 60 series snorkel sitting in the shed.
  9. E

Torsions - Are they the same part in 97 - ~04 models?

Ah, i see! Well Sport Tracs and Sports wernt sold here so there goes that plan. Guess i'll have to scab it off a older model or try hunt a new one.
  10. E

Torsions - Are they the same part in 97 - ~04 models?

Are the Torsion bars the same part in the second and third gen explorers? Or are the newer explorers with both front and rear IS different? I want to replace my torsion bars with new ones, but Ford Australia does not supply parts for first gen explorers without ridiculous price tags.
  11. E

Kurts 97 Offroad Aussie Explorer

Latest picture.
  12. E

Where oh where to find torsion bars

They're stuffed, fully wound up and still completely flat, aka i have no lift except for tires. Also I cant find a longer bolt of that type anywhere, i've been to bolt shops, but nobody has them :\
  13. E

Possibly, not sure. I would prefer brand new bars, but if second hand is a must i'll get them instead.
  14. E

Body roll??????

Not that typical, how long have you had it? Does it still have its sway bars?
  15. E

Ah, that's no help because Ford australia wont import odd parts like that for anything press 2001 in explorer.
  16. E

Torsion bars on my 97 explorer are stuffed, is there anywhere anyone knows that i can find new ones?? I cant find them anywhere. I'm a bit suspicious of buying second hand ones.
  17. E

Speedo gears, will this model fit my explorer?

As an update on this, the above poster was completely wrong, 97 and below models have the transfer case speed sensor and has speedo gears, If you have a 98 and above you cannot use the speedo gears.
  18. E

1997 for off road use.

It's a bullbar made by TJM 4x4 accessories, I assume they stopped making them about 10 years ago, I found it at a wreckers in a pile of alloy bullbars. I would suggest getting one custom made with this design.
  19. E

Oh? I was under the impression that 97 and below had the gears and only 98 onwards had computer programmed speedos.
  20. E

1997 for off road use.

Although i'm sure batches are fairly different, I had some wranglers before and they were an extremely hard and brittle composite, very **** off road. Meant they lasted well on road though.
  21. E

This guy is selling gears for speedos, I have a 4x4 97 with the speedo (3.73 gearing) in the transfer case, it is an auto. Will this product fit my car? Explorer is not listed but it seems like the right one...
  22. E

1997 for off road use.

Bighorns on 97
  23. E

24. E

Can you help my father with where to start with our Explorer? (video inside)

Yeah really sounds like the chains, should have really looked into it long ago. Good job getting them to last 300,000 kms on original chain setup. They really should be replaced probably at 200,000 or the second they start rattling.
  25. E

Back