Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips

Al, have you ever printed this thread out and tried sending it to anybody at Ford?
  2. J

97 XLT with Serious Misfires... WTF is going on?

Just because the CEL says O2 sensor does NOT mean you should automatically replace the 02 sensor. Almost always, the O2 sensor is malfunctioning because another component in the motor is not working correctly. Have you tried pulling the plug on cylinder 1? Checked the plug wire? It could be...
  3. J

Oil Weight & high milage

If you've never had any problems with the motor, stick with 5W-30. If it'll work in the hot hot climates down south all summer, it shouldn't be any problem up in New England. Plus, you may lose a bit of gas mileage going to a heavier oil.
  4. J

were to find wheather stripping for front two windows.

WHERE to get WEATHER stripping.....I would try emailing the guys at Ford Parts Network first. If you can't find it there, there's the universal stuff that most auto parts stores carry, or you can always try the ol' dealer and see what they'll charge you.
  5. J

Rotors Under Spec - Pads OK - Replace?

Well your rotors obviously need to be replaced, as Pep Boys tried to put them on a brake lathe and they could not be turned due to being below spec. If your rotors needed to be turned, then they were not perfectly even. If they're not even, then your brake pads are not wearing evenly, which is...
  6. J

Stock Ford CD Changer Problem, E-99?

I don't know for sure, but I would guess somewhere in the wiring or the stereo itself that would make a difference.
  7. J

2000 Mountaineer - Radio Aux in ?

Not sure, but I don't think so.
  8. J

275's on a stock 02 Sport

Again, read the above. Check your owner's manual for all those numbers; they're in a diagram towards the back.
  9. J

'04 xls problem... help pls

Sounds like a computer issue. One of those problems you'll never be able to replicate and it'll just happen again out of nowhere. You should probably go to the dealer and describe what happened to them and see what they say, but I suspect PCM.
  10. J

Stock Ford CD Changer Problem, E-99?

Depends on what year Windstar it came from. In '98 Ford redid all the wiring harnesses and if you've got a changer from a newer Windstar, its not going to work. Plus, Explorers only had 6 disc changers so I don't think a 10 disc is going to work either.
  11. J

PCV spewing oil?

Bringing back this thread from the semi-dead, I pulled out my PCV tonight and was thoroughly worried by what I saw. Check it out: I hadn't changed the thing in at least 18 months so maybe that's normal but seeing a dried coating of motor oil didn't make me feel too good. I check the...
  12. J

2001 Ford Explorer XLT

Just so we're clear, your Explorer is actually starting? But once it starts it dies? Just trying to be sure we don't have a simple battery/alternator problem here.
  13. J

'97 4.0 OHV idle shudder problem

Ok, the fuel filter was definitely not the problem. It shuddered and shook as bad as ever today - maybe it is that motor mount thing dpirog suggested.
  14. J

I just got the fuel filter changed out and took it for a drive. It seems like the problem has lessened but may not totally be gone. The real test will be tomorrow when its been sitting all night, that's when the entire driveline shudders at low speed. *FINGERS CROSSED*
  15. J

Fuel Filter changed, what a difference!

adarkang, did your truck exhibit symptoms similar to what I'm describing in the below link? http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158612 Thanks!
  16. J

Who has the most miles on 2nd gen X

Impressive but your's is not a 2nd gen :)
  17. J

Rear seat removal

You trying to further lightweight your X Al or what?
  18. J

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too Viper, after looking through the Haynes manual and seeing what's involved in checking tranny/engine mounts. Not something I can really handle in my apartment carport. But the fuel filter I can.
  19. J

Interesting, that's going to be what I check first thing tomorrow morning. Thanks, Boomer Sooner!
  20. J

Running boards, 2door and 4door the same?

A 2door with running boards? I think you're referring to step bars, which came on the 2 doors. 4 doors have running boards. You can get a new set of step bars for a 2 door Sport for around $200. Google Westin step bars and you'll find some online stores to get pricing from.
  21. J

136,00 miles a lot?

That depends on how the transmission was used/treated/serviced. If it didn't tow much or at all, if it was regularly serviced, and the driver wasn't one of those idiots who shifts from R to D while the truck is still in motion, it could last until 200 K easily. To get back to the original...
  22. J

Not visibly on the tach but I can feel the vibration, it feels like its running out of gas. Not being any kind of expert mechanic, I think it might be the fuel filter. Unless I give it throttle, it feels like its running out of gas. When I hit the throttle, it forces gas through the filter and...
  23. J

And tonight on the way home, at a stoplight, it started making this awful rattling noise but it went away within a couple blocks. I think its going to have to go to the dealership soon; I think this repair might be beyond me. Anybody have any ideas??
  24. J

Recommended Engine Mods

By custom, they mean that you go to a muffler shop in your town and have them custom make a system for your Explorer, as premade kits don't exist for it. The most common mufflers used are Flowmaster 40 or 50 series, which will make your Explorer considerably louder. If that's what you're going...
Back