Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 9

My Explorer is totalled

Sorry for not posting update in a while... .had a busy peak at UPS. This Explorer is a 4.0L SOHC with just over 207,000 highway miles on it and still averages 22-24 MPG. I opted to surrender to the insurance and get the money which is more than what's it's worth. I'll consider the upgrade...
  2. 9

My Explorer is totalled

Here's a few pictures of the accident...and they offered $3150 if I surrender my Explorer... that's well more than the KBB value of my Explorer.
  3. 9

My Explorer is totalled

I got rear ended in October when a driver fell asleep and hit me in the back on the freeway. The other driver's insurance totalled my '97 Explorer. The most of the damage is on the rear bumper area, that is bent down but frame looks okay. The driver side quarter panel moulding popped...
  4. 9

How to: 2nd Gen Gauge Cluster Removal and LED Conversion V2

Since I purchased the LED bulbs from Superbright LED almost 3 years ago, at least one of the bulb is flickering really bad and doesn't stay steady. I do not want to go back to incasdecent bulb, I really like LED. Is there any suggestion for better LED bulb brands out there? I know the...
  5. 9

Radio issue

That's what I thought. Antenna doesn't bother me, but didn't notice it went up not long ago. I could try to look it up... appreciate you both for reply.
  6. 9

Radio issue

I have a 1997 Explorer Limited that has cassette radio with factory CD changer under the center armrest. I've been noticing that my powered antenna has been going up as the radio turns on itself as the power button is off. I suppose the radio has seen the better days. My question is...
  7. 9

How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX?

1997 - 186k 1998 - 178k Both are up to date on maintenances and doing great.
  8. 9

Broken front wheel bearings

I am hearing impaired, so I wouldn't have a clue if I could hear or noticed something would have gone wrong before it broke. 6 months ago, it was serviced with a repack and I may have a feeling that the mechanic did not do it properly or whichever reason that caused my front wheel bearing...
  9. 9

Driver Headlight out - need help finding a F77z10k910aa light warning module

The same thing happened to me few years ago with the headlamps going out right then left side. Yes, the lamp out module needs replacing and the dealer replaced it. Would this work? http://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/ford-control-indicator_f77z-10k910-aa.html You could also try...
  10. 9

Broken front wheel bearings

The other night as I just left my work place to go home, less than a mile away something broke in the front and caused ABS light to come on. I could feel something scrapping and I had to pull over. Took at look underneath and the rotor, couldn't notice anything. Tried to limp back to...
  11. 9

Rear Window Struts

Just to update that I received the StrongArm 4608 struts from Amazon. I went on to replace the window struts, now it works great and stronger. :)
  12. 9

Rear Window Struts

The other site says this 4372 doesn't fit for my 1998 Explorer, I assume the 3rd generation is different struts than 2nd generation?
  13. 9

Rear Window Struts

Thank you, I see Amazon have a StrongArm 4608 which says would fit my Explorer. Other site has a good rating for this product so I may go for this one. :)
  14. 9

Rear Window Struts

Do anyone have a recommendations for me to find a rear window struts for my 1998 Explorer? The struts is weak and will not hold up very well... Any input and recommendations is appreciated. Thanks.
  15. 9

180K Preventive Maintenance

My 1997 Explorer just turned 180k last week and I am looking into a 180k mile service is if there is anything I need to service on? The following has been serviced recently: 144K - new radiator and at 165k new t-stat housing gasket due to leak... so I assume coolant should be good for now or...
  16. 9

Alternator?

I think alternator was around $250 + labor. I am aware it is expensive but fortunately I had warranty for the 3rd alternator and I paid nothing.
  17. 9

Alternator?

I had a new battery put in last spring and it passed the test so it seems to be OK. If this happens again, I will ask to diagnose it. That'd make sense about new parts are more expensive. Sometimes reman are good, some don't last long with defects. I took mine to Ford dealer and...
  18. 9

Alternator?

I had the new belt installed a while ago..the old belt had almost 60k miles on it and had a sign of crackings. Took it to the shop and a test with engine idling and giving it gas, the voltage was 13 volts which was low. With the warranty, now the Explorer has it's 3rd alternator, hopefully...
  19. 9

Alternator?

Well since I had the alternator replaced back then... now I think it seems to be acting up. When I am at a stop or idling, the battery gauge drained, when I'm on the go, it's all normal. This doesn't seem normal to me, whether the new alternator is defective and it shouldn't drain like...
  20. 9

Thanks! I'm looking into getting those.
  21. 9

I have a 97 Explorer, and several of the dash lights went out for a while. The lights on the temperature and fuel gauges are dark at night. I see that there is 5 bulbs in a dash cluster am I correct? It looks like the 194 SMD LED is the best bet to replace the burned out bulbs. Since...
  22. 9

CEL: Code P0430

Your mechanic has good point about "being murdered". I took the Explorer to the dealer to diagnose why the code came back on. They have a scanner tool that reads the information in the Explorer computer. "Check Engine Light is on 1.00 ran EEC code P0430, checked PID data found bank 2...
  23. 9

CEL: Code P0430

Hello, I had the same code about 10,000 miles ago and replaced the catalytic coverter on the right side. Today, the light came back on with the same code, I never had any problems with the engine whatsoever. What could cause the same code to come back on? New catalytic converter going...
  24. 9

Alternator?

Yes, very fortunate. I was able to drive home from work last night and I was surprised that the Explorer did not die on me and needed a tow. The battery was tested and passed. it turns out that the alternator had zero output. So I bought a new one and changed the alternator. Passed...
Back