Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. G

How do I know if Torque Converter is Seated?

410Fortune-I just got back from looking at the torque converter, when I unmated the trans, I measured where the TC was seated then I slid it off the trans spline and rotated it a little then placed it back on. It did not go as far at all, probably about a half inch, the length of the flat spots...
  2. G

410 fortune, thanks for the advice, the last time I did it I didn't have all the bolts tight in the trans before I bolted the torque converter to the flywheel, that is why it must have pulled it off the spline last time, I am just nervous that I will put it all back together and it will not be...
  3. G

Well, after all the discussion about my cooling lines and no fluid running through them. I did bypass the cooler and it seemed to run fluid through them but I don't think it actually did, because I tried it again and nothing happened. So, I assume the TC is not seated and not engaging the trans...
  4. G

What would happen if you mixed up the trans cooling lines?

yes, I bypassed the cooler and used a clear rubber line, to check and see if the fluid was running through. As soon as I started it up, fluid ran through and back into the trans. Now, I don't know at what kind of pressure yet, but if for some reason the pressure was low, but enough to barely run...
  5. G

So even if the TC was unseated, the engine would still turn over and start right up fine? It starts fine right now and idles fine. I hate to have to unmate that trans again, but if you guys think that is it, I will get on it in the morning. Since I just did it, it is still pretty fresh in my...
  6. G

Oh I understand, I have done some dumb things, but as far as I no I seated the TC right, I lined up the the flat spots on the TC and placed it onto the spline of the trans, then mated the trans and engine up and bolted the TC to the flywheel. Is there a chance the TC could have become unseated...
  7. G

Opera house- I didn't to anything to the valve body, unless I could have done something to it accidently. Could something like you were saying happen with out me dissassembling anything. I never touched anything with the trans, it is all original and all I had to do was move it around a little...
  8. G

Yes, that sounds like the next step. I think it needs a fluid and filter change. The tranmission hasn't been run since July of this summer. Yes, I also have checked the linkage and as far as I know it is all correctly hooked up, I had someone look at it as I was shifting through the gears and it...
  9. G

Steve, after you suggested to bypass the cooler, I thought thats gotta work then I tried it with the clear lines and the fluid ran through and back into the trans, but still NO gears are engaging, I must have to do the pressure check. So what does all of this mean, that there must not be enough...
  10. G

I didn't get a chance to check the pressure yet, but I took the lines off of the trans and figured since I mixed them up at first they might be clogged, so I blew them out from the input line and alot of rusty metallic fluid came out. So I hooked them up, (I used clear rubber lines) to see what...
  11. G

steve, alright I know someone who has a gauge I can use, so what reading am I looking for? Also, I did not change the trans filter. I just wish I didn't have to unmate that trans again. But, if that is the only way I guess I might have to.
  12. G

No trans fluid running through cooling lines!

yes, its the original trans and worked fine before I swapped engines
  13. G

Steve, after mating the trans back up at first I did mix up the cooling lines, and yes I did disconnect the trans lines when I pulled the engine. Then I started it up and let it run for a minute, and then started shifting through some gears to try to get the trans fluid pumping through, but no...
  14. G

so nothing would get damaged or the pump wouldn't work?
  15. G

What would happen if you mixed up the trans cooling lines by attaching the trans out line to cooling out and vice versa. Then, started the engine and let it run?
  16. G

need to disconnect torque converter

well, that must be different in your situation, I had no problem seating the socket around the nut. Yeh, I would try to rig up a special socket.
  17. G

need to disconnect torque converter

I just did this a couple times and you can do it by removing the starter and then looking through the hole the starter was in and rotating the engine to see all of the nuts.
  18. G

When I first tried mating up the trans I had problems with the engine to trans bolts, but I had to pull the trans down and back and then put the TC directly on the trans and aligned the flat spots then bolted it right up with the flywheel while rotating the engine. I guess I will check the...
  19. G

yes, I am checking with the engine running, and what do you mean by the torque converter needing to be seated, how would I know if it is or not? thanks for the reply
  20. G

Yes, it has plenty of fluid. Anything else I can try?
  21. G

I recently did an engine swap and finally mated the engine up with the trans. Now after starting it up none of the gears engage and there is no trans fluid being run through the cooling lines. What do I do?
  22. G

91 4.0 No gear engaging!

No, I have the converter fully bolted in and what I thought everything else, does there need to be a certain amount of fluid in the torque converter or does that not have anything to do with that? I just don't get it, can there be any fluid, vacumn, or electrical lines I may have crossed or not...
  23. G

91 4.0 No gear engaging!

Well, to make a long story short, I have recently swapped an engine in my in my 91 xlt, after finally figuring out how to mate the trans and engine up, to what I thought was a success, I turn it over and it starts up, by the way, not ideling, but as it is still on the lift I engage the shift...
  24. G

'91 4.0 Engine Swap Needs Help!!!!

I am swapping a 4.0 motor in a '91 xlt, everything seems to be complete, but now the new motor will not turn over. When I turn the key on, everything seems fine, fuel injectors go, and then just a click like a dead battery. Starter is tested and working fine. I may be missing an electrical...
Back