Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. EvilTheCat

Fuel pressure test questions

Sunday sucked because Saturday we got snow. It was still cold and wet. I tried but ran into issues. A Mexico fuel pump was ordered instead of one for the U.S. built model which does make a difference. The US model has 2 electric connectors instead of 1 and costs about $50 more. Plus the hose...
  2. EvilTheCat

Sunday I'll be dropping the tank. I'm pretty sure it is the fuel pump now after much reading and consulting friends and coworkers. Sunday will be the nicest day in the forecast at 50 degrees. Did I mention I only have a single stall garage that is too small and full to utilize for repairs. I...
  3. EvilTheCat

190k on the truck. I've put on 30k since I got and haven't messed with fuel pump yet. I've owned it about 5 years I think. Judging by the amount of maintenance that I had to do to it when I got it, it's probably still running the Ford factory fuel pump.
  4. EvilTheCat

Anybody know what the fuel pressure should be unregulated?
  5. EvilTheCat

Thanks Koda. I'm trying to narrow it down more. I changed the fuel filter a week ago, so that is not the problem.
  6. EvilTheCat

15" rim on 2000 Explorer Xlt?

I'm running 15" by 8.5" wide on mine. I prefer the old standard size tires like the 33x12.50xr15 I have. The black steel wheels were bought from 4wheelparts.com I think. You should look up the stock backspacing and add an inch or more even. I don't remember what it was for my truck, but I know I...
  7. EvilTheCat

So I used to be fairly active here when I got my explorer years ago, but stopped getting on because I fixed everything and modded enough stuff to make her suit my needs. However, lately she's been running like ****. RIG: I have a 97 Explorer Sport with the pushrod 4.0L OHV and a 5 speed manual...
  8. EvilTheCat

Transfer Case Stuck

Here's the rear of the transmission with the drainage channel. After cleaning off the gasket I found a slight indentation in the matting surface of the t-case from the chisel but it would still seal if it mattered and no cracks. I just used some gasket material and cut a new gasket. Tomorrow...
  9. EvilTheCat

Transfer Case Stuck

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I managed to get the transfer case separated from the transmission. I ended up using a chisel to wedge the two apart and forcing it the rest of the way with a big pry bar. The dowel that was supposed to be pressed into the transfer case was so seized that it...
  10. EvilTheCat

Transfer Case Stuck

From what I've found researching while at work is that I have a Borg Warner 4405 transfer case which has a dowel in one of the holes on the passenger side near the top. This seems to be seized into the transmission. I doused it in wd-40 before I came to work so hopefully when I start on it...
  11. EvilTheCat

Transfer Case Stuck

I've been trying to pull the transfer case on my 97 Sport 4.0L OHV with a Manual transmission. I am certain I have all the bolts out. Only 5. Both drive shafts are off. Wires and hose unhooked. I can get it to separate from the tranny enough to get a scraper between them, however I have not...
  12. EvilTheCat

Nebraska Owners

I'm still in Lincoln and would love to do some off roading, however the reason I'm returning to this forum after a long absence is that my clutch went out and I know this forum is the best place to find info. It'll be a little while before I get her back on (or off) the road.
  13. EvilTheCat

How to: Replacing clutch pedal assembly

I don't recall exactly. It's been a while since I replaced it. It was either a socket, perhaps with extension, or a combination wrench turning it little by little. I didn't use anything special. Only thing I remember was that it was a PITA. Good luck.
  14. EvilTheCat

I didn't have any bolts for my clutch master cylinder either. You just put it through the square hole and turn it 45 degrees. Sorry I didn't get any photos of that part.
  15. EvilTheCat

That is exactly the reason. Sorry I didn't elaborate why. If I remember correctly you need to remove lines some where in order to get the master cylinder and booster out far enough to get the assembly out. And that seems to be the simplest place.
  16. EvilTheCat

where is the AIT sensor???

I think it's probably this forum's etiquette to stick to the original topic and not digress about etiquette.
  17. EvilTheCat

Hahaha. Next time I find information in an old thread and feel I need to add to it, I'll just search until I find a more resent one and post my comments and links there instead, so everybody is happy.
  18. EvilTheCat

I'm not arguing either. I was making a statement. I was looking for information about this mod and found this thread. I thought I'd post the link I found for anybody else that might come across this "chip" and want to understand how it worked and whether it was actually a good idea. Why are...
  19. EvilTheCat

I had a guy try to sell me one of these "chips" today. He wanted $50 for it! I was of course skeptical as I always am unless I've done lots of research. What I've found is that it's nothing more than a resistor. This resistor causes a voltage drop in the circuit with the IAT (esentially a...
  20. EvilTheCat

Can a TT go over 2"?

I did have to use longer bolts. I think I got 130mm long hardened bolts because that's all I could find locally. You'll have to cut them down and grind the ends round anyway to fit the cups on the torsion bars. Look here for an illistrated write up. My driver side was bottomed out also. I think...
  21. EvilTheCat

Can a TT go over 2"?

I estimate mine to be around 2.5". I've been running it like that for over a year. Probably around 8000 miles. They've seen some trail use, but nothing too hardcore, and I have NOT heard a peep out of my CV joints yet. It rides pretty stiff in the front though.
  22. EvilTheCat

98 Ranger unusual clutch problem please help!!

Well I did it and a write with lots of pictures here. It was a lot easier than I originally thought it would be.
  23. EvilTheCat

My Explorer has given me issues shifting into first and second since I've owned it (little over a year). The clutch was always in question because the pedal would go all the way to the floor. I had to cut my floormat right after installing them because I couldn't get it into gear. I pulled the...
  24. EvilTheCat

I'm going to try. Anything I need to worry about before tearing into this? From what I've read on this forum it's not an easy job. I'll start stretching tonight for the contortions I'll be doing tomorrow working under that dash.
  25. EvilTheCat

I contacted my local Ford dealer to check the price of a new clutch and brake pedal assembly for a '97 Explorer. He told me it would be $147 and that he'd have to order it. I asked him what the part number was and he verified it was 6L5z2455bb as recomended above. I ended up order it from amazon...
Back