Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

4.10 gear swap

As intelisevil said, Yes. Just find a good 4x4 and see if the door code has the gear ratio you want, rip the front and rear out, and put it in yours. Sometimes auto wreckers can be pretty damn pricey though. At least the ones where I am can. If you can find someone parting out an explorer or...
  2. D

4.0 Exhaust Clip Thread !

I had a 94 explorer xlt OHV. It was straight piped, no cats, no muffler, 4" diameter 12" long tractor tip at the end. Holy crap that thing sounded AWESOME! Crazy loud at WOT. Had a crackle to it like the motor was hopped up. That's an unfortunate thing...My girl loved the old 94, the 99 I...
  3. D

Time for new exhaust - what to get?

Check out this huge thread for any ideas that could spark your imagination. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192528 There's tons of videos online as well. Too bad the videos on youtube for my explorer dont actually sound like the real thing. I have also put tips on the...
  4. D

Missing some ooomphhhh!

That's not a late shift for the SOHC. In a drag race scenario my motor goes right up to around 5800rpm, shifts to second, goes up just about as high, and then in 3rd she starts giddy up n goin. If im driving down the road at 90km/h and decide that the tool in the rice burner beside me needs to...
  5. D

Rust!!

Here's the link the the photobucket where I have a few pictures of the body work. Unfortunately most of the pictures i took from before the rust removal are gone...it was BAD. Had to completely re-make the passenger side dog leg and fix the crap job on the drivers side a previous owner did. I'm...
  6. D

Rust!!

Looks good. Just did my rockers and wheel wells too. Makes ya feel amazing knowing your vehicle looks great and YOU did it. That and even though redneck weight removal is a great idea...no one likes the colour of rust covering the bottom of their ride.
  7. D

Cut exhaust, knock out cats, use band clamps

Right now my explorer is using a bit more gas too and it's because of the front two O2 sensors. They are a little slow in responding to the computer asking for information. It takes them a while to respond, and thus your computer can't tell if the engine needs more or less gas so you end up...
  8. D

SEVEN40iL's '98 Sport Mod Thread

Haha yeah. My tailgate has NO bottom because it all rotted out
  9. D

SEVEN40iL's '98 Sport Mod Thread

Looks good. I'll tell you this right now. Get that plastic trim OFF of the vehicle. You are gonna have to do some body work to fill in the holes for the plastic mounts, and on the back piece by the bumper theres a large indent and hole under the plastic that you will have to fill in. That...
  10. D

Things you need to fix and things you HAVE to fix

Have to: Get motor running right (studders and doesnt like idle, also idles too low, suckin more gas than a hummer). Thinkin IAC. Vaccum is ok and replaced intake gaskets. CEL is on...again Get my k&n cai back on once the above two are fixed to get my power and economy back Need to...
  11. D

Maximizing Fuel Mileage

Haha yeah. I watched a few youtube vids of smartcars hitting a brick wall at highway speeds. Guess what. THE DRIVER DIES. Stupid "bubble" survives, but the driver inside is toast. And yes, a busa motor in a smart car is a GOOD idea. Nothing but donuts!
  12. D

Maximizing Fuel Mileage

Well, as a few people have said. You are driving a fricking 4x4 brick through the air. Can't get that good of mileage easily. but here's the quick and dirty of what you can do that combines what everyone has said. plugs and wires keep tires pumped (35-40psi) lose weight wherever you can...
  13. D

Question regarding CAI

Fifty: Yeah as sport97 said the 4.10 gears were stock. Unfortunately I didn't get the limited slip option. 66427: Just go to knfilters.com and search it. I'm sure they make one! Also yall are lucky. I get on average 16-17 mpg. Thats it. Some people just get better mileage than others.
  14. D

Question regarding CAI

Thank you Fifty F150. Muchly appreciated and good information. I do have the exhaust done on my truck already, and i'm adding the CAI to help that part out. 4.10 rear end helps torque, but not mileage. Oh well. I'm planning on buying a chip for the truck and getting a custom tune for my birthday.
  15. D

Question regarding CAI

Really though the hole for the stock air box is in part of the same area as the cone would be for the CAI. Yes i agree that it will suck in more warm air that the stock airbox, but one of the main things about the CAI is less restrictive air flow. Making it breathe easier improves efficiency on...
  16. D

How many miles with the rattle?

Sonic. Up here in Canada the CHEAPEST I can get the timing chain set is $1200, the tensioners are $130 for the front, and $105 for the rear. Not to mention all the gaskets needed to fix it and the timing tool set. The parts for that option alone would run me $2000. Stupid Canada. I read all over...
  17. D

How many miles with the rattle?

The engine rattle gets louder, and your power is sacrificed greatly. My 99 is now on its second motor, the first one got soo bad that you could hear rattle at any rpm. New motor had 121 when I put it in, has rattled since the damn day i fired it up. its actually VERY irritating knowing there's...
  18. D

Question regarding CAI

Hey guys, haven't been on here in ages, last time i was here I had just received my k&n cai. It works great for power, and I love the noise. Also does good for fuel economy. Unfortunately i had to take it off because I was using a lot of fuel and the truck wouldnt run right as soon as the...
  19. D

junkyard 4.0 sohc

I don't know about the exhaust killing me because I at least still have the cats in and I think I actually gained 1 or 2 mpg. when I did it, it flows SO much better. And I constantly monitor my mpg, the CEL hasn't changed anything so far. If we are talking a matter of 10km then who gives a darn...
  20. D

junkyard 4.0 sohc

5r55e 5sp auto new filter and tranny fluid in the last 25K, 131K on the motor with oil change pending in 2K, 4.10 rear gear fluid changed in january, awd (brown wire mod though), stock 255 75 R16 tires, stock tune (will get custom tune once I have a chip), true dual 2.5" exhaust. K&n ordered...
  21. D

junkyard 4.0 sohc

@ FIND: May I ask something? HOW IN THE HELL YOU GET 21MPG?!?! My explorer gets 17-18 mpg and I drive a lot of highway kms. 4.10 gears CAN'T be giving me that bad of mileage! I mean yeah it's 600rpm difference from my old explorer that had 3.55 gears but seriously.
  22. D

The Notorious ford exploder Timing chains

I didn't want to screw with my chains and timing and all that either. The entire timing chain kit here in Canada is 1400 bucks. So I went the cheaper route and swapped the motor out with a junkyard engine
  23. D

junkyard 4.0 sohc

Also, as of 2002 (3rd gen) Ford fixed all of the SOHC timing chain issues by updating the hydraulic tensioners and putting metal backing onto the guides. So if you can find a complete engine from a 2002 plus all the wiring you will be set and not have to worry about timing issues.
  24. D

some b4 and after dual tips

It took MUCH longer than 5 hours to do mine. I had to take the exhaust I was given and chop it up and weld it and mock everything up and then final weld and all that ****e. Oh well. it was a free exhaust that I managed to do myself so I'm happy with mine too.
  25. D

Bye bye running boards

Man. I just spent 40 hours doing exactly that. I took ALL the plastic off of mine, and had to completely replace the passenger side rocker panel and dog leg (which they dont make for the sport so we had to fab it ourselves. I will throw up a thread about it in the body work section of...
Back