Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. G

Harsh shift after replacing transmission

Sorry for the delay guys. It still does it from time to time. I haven't pulled much since the reflash so I cannot speak to that. But it does have a random hard shift here and there. I notice it every time I go through a roundabout. It revolves around the speed at which I decelerate to go...
  2. G

No crank - no start - good battery

D I meant the people in my family that started it to move it a few times the other day. hahaha. They didn't know to watch where their feet go when climbing in and out. Unfortunate, but at least I got to experience the removal and install of a starter on this gen of Explorer.
  3. G

Hey guys. Thanks for all the tips. Got it fired up last night. Here's the recap of what we did: Swapped the starter relay with a blower relay, didn't get it going. Double checked the battery, still good. Checked for any key issues that would cause it to no start, no security light problems...
  4. G

I did just happen to stumble across one forum post where the poster had a similar issue as mine. He said the 12v wire to the starter solenoid had broken loose. As my vehicle is many miles away from me I can't check it currently, so hopefully someone knows. It appears the starter solenoid on...
  5. G

Thanks imp. That was going to be a follow up question of mine if anyone had a feeling that it was the starter. I was hoping some auto stores would bench test them. We have Weaver, NAPA, O'Reilly, Autozone and Advanced Auto Parts in random towns around here. As per your question, I do not...
  6. G

I appreciate the honesty D. I assume it's the starter but like I said, I've become accustomed to these things going slowly and painfully (i.e. longer starts), not suddenly just minutes after it last started up just fine. Hopefully it's a simple test when I am able to drive the many miles out...
  7. G

No other electrical work. You can see from my other posts I've had immense issues with this thing. Most recently struggles with my transmission and the replacement transmission (that I believe you you commented on D Hook). They did a reprogram/reflash to the PCM for an update with the...
  8. G

I have very clean cables and brand new connections. Everything "should" have a perfect connection. I can try disconnecting and reconnecting it. I used both keys today that have always worked in the past. If it comes to checking the power at the starter, is that a pretty difficult process...
  9. G

Hey guys, I did a quick search on the site but didn't find much matching my exact symptoms. Hope you guys can help, as you always do, because my wife's Fusion is heading to the shop tomorrow morning and I'm about to be without any vehicles to drive. I have a 2003 Explorer Limited 4.6L...
  10. G

Thanks for the tip D Hook. And it's actually funny you mention that. The battery went dead a couple weeks ago (old battery combined with it's been sitting for a while). I had the battery out and disconnected for several hours while I ran and got a new one. Since then the truck has been...
  11. G

Hey guys. Sorry for the delay on an update. I work from home in real estate and with how slow the market has gotten it, I've only put a couple hundred miles on the Explorer in the past several weeks. I checked the fluid level and it is fine. I made an appointment with another Ford dealer...
  12. G

Hey imp. Can you do me a favor and just stop commenting on my post? You're really not helping anything and you're becoming quite annoying. I don't appreciate being accused to "dumping" it on the next unsuspecting buyer. If I were going to screw someone over I would have passed the noisy back...
  13. G

My old transmission had the really noisy torque converter. Sitting at a stop I could hear the thing whining/rattling. Drove me nuts. This one had a few of the harsh torque converter "bumps" when quickly letting off the gas since it was replaced. But what I'm getting annoyed by is that the...
  14. G

AWD vs 4WD

D Hook is correct. There are three vertical buttons next to the radio for the 4x4. If it has these it is a 4WD unit. If they are fake buttons it will be a 2WD or AWD. If it is an AWD unit it will always be in AWD and no ability to switch to any kind of 4x4Hi/Lo. On a different note, I...
  15. G

Hey guys, You've always been a lot of help with all my posts on here and it's time for another one. I really, really want to ditch my Explorer because it is such a p.o.s but I'm stuck with it due to being cash strapped. It is a 2002 Limited, 4.6L V8, 3.73 LS rear, AWD. I have a hard shift...
  16. G

Diagnose Noise

I just put the Explorer in the air to take a look at the rear drive shafts and bearings. As I thought both of the outer bearings are tight as can be at the wheels. The passenger side half shaft seal at the differential does have a leak. Not bad but it is wet. Both shafts have in and out...
  17. G

Diagnose Noise

I have a 2003 Explorer Limited, 4.6L AWD 3.73 LS rear. As many others have experienced I also have noise from the rear. Although mine isn't quite the same as what others have posted in these forums. I do not have a whine noise that comes on around 35mph and disappears at 60. Mine sounds...
  18. G

Letting off gas causes truck to jerk

I think this is an old post but I am experiencing the exact same thing in mine. Under load as soon as I let off it hits hard, sounds really bad and shakes the whole truck. And Colintrax, no disrespect, but stop saying it's nothing to worry about. That's not helping anything. After spending...
  19. G

2003 Explorer shudder

Geologist - I probably should have clarified that from the get go. I worked in automotive for 10 years, so I covered all the bases. Tires are all inflated evenly, tire wear is the same, all tires are same make and manufacturer and put on at the same time. I just put another 50+ miles on it...
  20. G

2003 Explorer shudder

Hello all, Sorry to create yet another thread about drivetrain issues on this model. We all know they are filled with them. I can't find an answer to the issue I have so I needed to create a new thread. I have a 2003 Limited, AWD 4.6L. Today I had a rebuilt trans installed to fix all the...
  21. G

Intermittent hard shift

Thank you Josh. Can you explain why you think this is the problem? I ask because I have heard solenoid block, sticking valve, bands, reflash, etc, can all cause issues. I'm wondering what leads you to solenoid and none of the other issues. I'm putting over two grand into this in the next...
  22. G

Intermittent hard shift

Hi everyone, There have been hundreds, if not thousands of posts similar to my issues. I have not found one with the same issue I am having after hours and hours of searching, so I am starting this thread. I have come across people having issues with the O/D light flashing, check engine...
  23. G

1998 Explorer Trailer Lights

If anyone read this and is curious about it I found the problem. I've read several forums and I remember a few where people mentioned that Ford had accuracy issues with certain areas of their owner's manuals on Explorers, fuses being one of these areas. On mine the manual had the left and...
  24. G

1998 Explorer Trailer Lights

Hello everyone, New to the forum. I have seen many posts for related probelms but not for the one I have. I have a problem that I just haven't been able to figure out in my hours of working on my explorer and several more hours searching the web. I have a 1998 Explorer and I no longer...
Back