Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

Will dealership charge for second evac & recharge of AC?

Thanks for the response Pete - 140K miles. It is snow/salt area but always garaged. I could be misunderstanding but I'm thinking ask them to try the repair again but not charge me again for evac & recharge done a month ago when we missed the leak ($186 with tax). Willing to pay for new accum...
  2. R

Exactly - I mean that's why I'm posting I think. I read that can rusts out behind the (discontinued) insulation. It's fine on the bottom but behind the insulation rust and there looks to be a seam there around the top of the can. No oily residue on any other lines/connections/compressor.
  3. R

This has been covered I believe but including a couple pics 1998 Explorer. Refrigerant has begun to need recharging –recharge lasted couple years, then one year, and most recently a couple weeks. Dealership did the evacuation and recharge, added dye and couldn’t find the leak. After one 200...
  4. R

Chasing Oil Leak & Dorman "no holes" Balancer

Obtained a couple front crank seals to try and fix a small oil leak from the lower front that gets blown/drips down beneath the crank, passenger side, and on back. Doesn't drip on the floor but it still seems to be a leak and I suspect blowing extra oil into my K&N (which does not have an...
  5. R

Hesitation in warmer weather

My hesitation started I believe after fuel pump/sender replacement and it is pretty rare. I use cruise control on the interstate and noticed it buck and slow down a little once - in a corner I think. Another time I had it die when coming up a longish hill to a stop sign at top. Another time...
  6. R

How low on the factory fuel gauage can I go?

Old thread I know. I recently ran my 4.0 EB down to vapors (I thought). The 'information center' said 4 mile range left. The needle was below 'E'. I got photos. Could be my imagination but my highway cruise was ending up a hill to the fuel stop and might have felt a shudder or hesitation -...
  7. R

Hello - hey you posted about jacking into CD changer...

Hello - hey you posted about jacking into CD changer http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/aux-in-for-stereo.434251/#post-3464341 - to play music off phone or whatever. Did you have success, switch to something different? I have same / similar truck but junkyard stereo -...
  8. R

Parking breaks gone after leaving them on...

Recently did the parking brake pads, hardware, and 2 cables in the back. Don't have it quite right - Chilton manual shows a procedure removing the pedal assembly and using another cable to somehow re-set the ratchet? I've been avoiding trying it.
  9. R

2000 Explorer Eddie Bauer Electrical Ghosts

Check grounds too - fixed my bizarre electrical issues. Good luck
  10. R

Strange electric gremlin

I had some bizarre electrical - involved head lights, fogs,and other stuff that would or wouldn't work - blink on or off. Looked and looked - all fuses, all relays including the like 2-3 'hidden' places, replaced headlight switch, used relays off eaby, all with no joy. After three weeks or so...
  11. R

Alignment Checks Out Plus

Hi All- Wanted to post a follow up to a previous entry I did on shackle replacement and leveling up the front end here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/rusty-shackleford.462753/ After driving 1,000 miles I finally took it to Ford dealer to have alignment checked -...
  12. R

RUSTY SHACKLEFORD

1. ’98 EB SOHC where the back was sagging a bit and existing shackles looked bad. Warrior 153 shackles arrived. Jacked up rear – high-ish. Placed jack stands under frame just forward of front leaf spring mounts, both sides. Let pumpkin and wheels down. I’m using a block off wood...
  13. 20170516_112304

20170516_112304

14. 20170516_112346

20170516_112346

15. 20170516_112423

20170516_112423

16. 20170516_112505

20170516_112505

17. 20170516_112528

20170516_112528

18. 20170516_113459

20170516_113459

19. RUSTY SHACKLEFORD

RUSTY SHACKLEFORD

Replace shackles, pics of torsion bolts, etc.
  20. R

Bled Brakes without a Helper

Following a couple posts by 2stroke I've seen here, I tried flushing the brake fluid in my '98 Explorer since I don't think it's ever been done and sounds like brake fluid deteriorates after a few years. Wanting to pull some of the existing and dirty-ish fluid from the reservoir and not...
  21. R

Time for Plugz?

I finally did this 1st week in October - plugs and wires. At first I thought the PCV valve looked wrong because of how 'fat' the tubing looks when attached at the bottom of PCV but that came off easier than expected and went back on easy. Getting the top of the 't' fitting back in place was...
  22. R

(Brake calipers, "death wobble?", shaky steering) Please help!! My baby is sick!!!! :(

Hello OP- I was just flushing brake fluid last night using clear tubing that fit tightly but I was also using a very small cheap-o vice grip in tandem with the 9mm wrench. When I first started I didn't have the vice grip on good and got very similar air bubbles - not tiny ones but big gaps in...
  23. R

Time for Plugz?

Not a pro mechanic here but I do what I can on a few older vehicles. Find the site very helpful so want to give back. Don't think plugs and wires have been changed on my '98 4.0 sohc with 112K miles so I've read up and ordered some parts from Rock Auto (cheaper than local options). Iowa uses...
  24. Fluid Level Sensor Float

Fluid Level Sensor Float

25. Orientation Of Probe

Orientation Of Probe

Back