Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. W

Replace engine or say goodbye and part out, what would you do?

Like others said, replace the engine if the rest of the vehicle is in good condition. Their are re-built engines with good warranties advertised in alot of places on the net. That's what I plan on doing with my Mounty
  2. W

What in the world is going on with this Explorer - Popping, Weird Idle, and now RSC

It's the passenger side coils. I have my numbers reversed
  3. W

What in the world is going on with this Explorer - Popping, Weird Idle, and now RSC

Its not the fuel pump. When that goes, there's no warning. Bad coils on cyl 2,4,6, and/or 8 will mess with the electric signals going to the PCM. I changed out my coils 2 years ago for cheap $75 Chinese coils. I'm back to the jet engine sound because the tranny is getting bad signals and now I...
  4. W

Parking brake handle is broken.

Mine just arrived today. Took 20 seconds to install with no tools
  5. W

2008 Explorer - Car starts, drives but then won't start later but then starts again magically

similar thing happened to me. Go into a store for a while, come out and turn the key - nothing. Waited 15 - 30 minutes more and it turned right over. For me, it was a bad starter
  6. W

2006 explorer front differential

For me, I went to eBay. I had 150k+ miles, the truck wasn't worth the 'new' parts. I got front and rear diff and transfer case. No problems yet. Most offer some kind of warranty and some are really cheap
  7. W

Not taking gas

This reply is from personal experience only: when my fuel pump went out, I took it to Firestone and they replaced it. Soon after, I went to fill with gas and it wouldn't take a drop. Took it back and it was the solenoid (they say). There was no check engine light from what I remember. No...
  8. W

200,000 mile update

I have an 2006 4.6L Premier at 198,000 miles now. They say never buy the first model year, and they're right. I was 2nd owner when I bought it Dec 2011 with 60k on the clock. I also bought an aftermarket 3 year extended warranty - BEST PURCHASE EVER!!! Its black, so touching up light scratches...
  9. W

Engine will not turn over, no dash lights, nothing. 06 Explorer XLS

Come to think of it (its been a few years), I believe I did have dash lights. Since there was no CEL, I ended up taking it to the dealer and they traced the problem in no time
  10. W

Engine will not turn over, no dash lights, nothing. 06 Explorer XLS

Exact same thing happened to me. Totally dead after parking it (usually miles from home... of course). No CEL. No clicking when turning the key. Waited a while and then it started We thought it was a bad battery, Bad Key, glitch in the security system, etc. Ended up being a bad starter
  11. W

Tranny or Transfer case issue

UPDATE- I waited a few weeks to report this, but these problems seem to be gone after going through the problems every day. Truck runs great for a truck with a 192k on the clock. here's what I think happened. During my Googling to figure out the problem, I came across a Youtube vid on a...
  12. W

broken latch on 07 explorer console lid

here you go Center Console latch problem I just went to a True Value store and picked up a spring there. It's worked for 5 years now
  13. W

06 Explorer T-case in an 06 Mounty

PERFECT!! Thank you!
  14. W

I'm 99% sure its the torque converter now. I addition to what i described above, sometimes it: 1- slight shudders like its misfiring (its not) 2- when I start cold, it will have the famous "jet-engine" sound and weak torque, which will last until I park it. One thing I discovered about the...
  15. W

06 Explorer T-case in an 06 Mounty

my mounty t-case is going bad. I hate the way it functions anyway (wheel slip on wet pavement and you hear clunking and feel lurching). I also like the 4WD lo option. Unfortunately here in the upper midwest, 4WD is a necessity in the winter. How difficult would it be to put an Explorer T-case...
  16. W

Gen 4's without factory running boards have a cover?

part #: 6L2Z-7810176-AA Ford Rocker Panel Moulding Guard If you are able to find them (its easier to find a Unicorn), they were $113 each
  17. W

Evap Issues

I've had an Evap code for over 4 months. Dealer checked the fill hose and said the charcoal canister needs replacing. $650 parts & labor. I'm just dealing with a slow fill-up until I have some extra cash I want to throw at it
  18. W

At what mileage did your fuel pump die

Around 130k. Got lucky though. Died less than a 1/4 mile from my house. No signs of trouble before failing
  19. W

Lately, but not all the time, there is some kind of very audible rattling/knocking noise coming from the center of the vehicle. It just started last week. When I'm going under 5 mph (like cruising slow in a car lot, which is what I was doing, or going slow down my driveway) I would start to...
  20. W

roaring fan, 4.6, issue ongoing

I left work yesterday and had that deafening roaring sound for the 1/2 hour trip home, most of it interstate. No rise in temp. A/C running. I stopped near home at the gas station to get a few things. Started it back up and drove the last 2 miles "roar-free". No problems this morning on the way...
  21. W

New (to me) '06, with a few questions..

regarding the hesitation, it's happened to me a few times. Just cruising at 40-50mph there is a misfire (hesitation feeling). For me, its always been a bad plug. Bad coils usually threw a code, for me. If you don't know the maintenance history and its has 170k miles, I would change plugs and...
  22. W

2008 Limited power running board replacement motor?

What Explorer PL said. Those things are brittle when rotted. My 90lb daughter stepped on the passenger side board and the whole thing collapsed. I bought my Merc used and they were frozen in the down position. I pulled them off and now running with nothing.
  23. W

No dash, no crank, no start

Similar thing happened to me last fall. I would run errands. Turn off the truck, I went to leave and nothing when turning the key. Not even the "low battery clicking sound". After a while of waiting for a jump start from AAA, I would turn the key and it would fire up. This happened off and on...
  24. W

2008 Exp Vibration/Noise???

I have had ALOT of vibrations/noises... some at high speed, some while just leaving a light and progressively got worse as I went faster. The one you just described above sounds like my issue with the drive shaft, which I also got on a used parts site and replaced. I've also replaced the t-case...
  25. W

2008 Exp Vibration/Noise???

For me, it was a bad rear diff. Got a used one from eBay cheap and the dealer installed it
Back