Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

Headlight adjustment?

I just bought a pair of new crystal clear lenses/reflectors and I want to fine tune the aim. Thing is, I see all the various procedures on youtube and such, but my question is...it seems the only easily adjustable screw on the lens adjusts mostly vertically. Obviously there are 2 other...
  2. M

Wiring diagram for HVAC control panel?

I'm trying to find a place to splice the power wire for some glow instrument gauges so that they dim with the other dash lights. I really didn't wanna patch into the instrument cluster printed circuit, so I figured it'd be easier to splice into the two bulbs illuminating the HVAC controls. I...
  3. M

LED exterior bulbs?

So I'm thinking about upgrading to LED 3156 and 3157a bulbs on my truck. However, as I was installing new clear headlights, I happened to damage one of the front turn signal bulbs. As a result, my left signal wouldn't stay on, which led me to believe that if I added LEDs, the resistance would be...
  4. M

"96 4.0 OHV does NOT like the slightest cold, possible fuel/vacuum/sensor issue...

Sorry, this is gonna be lengthly, but the more details the better right? I've had this truck for almost a year now with 198,000 miles and manual trans, and everything works great, save for it's one, lingering issue. When I bought it it had failed emissions because of a P0304 and another code...
  5. M

When to replace shocks?

I took it by a tire center n had em look at it, the technician was faitly sure they were in fact the original shocks. In which case im amazed how well theyve held up for 16 years lol. So ya she's gettin new gabriels... if i can get to those nuts on the top of the driver's rear shock...
  6. M

When to replace shocks?

I have a '96 with 197,000 miles...my gut tells me to replace the shocks, but the thing is, I've no idea if the previous owner did or not already, and everything else on the underside of the truck seems to be in excellent condition. How do I tell if they're still functioning properly? I bought...
  7. M

wiring diagram for stereo

I just replaced my front door speakers on my '96 Sport today, and the colors are different from those mentioned here. The right front speaker wires are white/green stripe and purple, and front left are light blue/white stripe, and orange/green stripe if I recall correctly. Doesn't matter if you...
  8. M

Power window issue...

Omg how lame...I fixed it. Come to find out the fuse for the dome/courtesy lights, somehow, affects the power window circuit and someone had a 10A when it called for a 15A in position 27 in the block by the steering wheel. It was fried, I plugged a new one in and everything's back to normal...
  9. M

Power window issue...

I got a '96 Sport, and in the process of adding some Dynamat to the passenger door, it seems my power windows have become inoperative. The power door locks work just fine, but both windows won't respond. I noticed the door courtesy and dome lights don't light anymore either, which leads me to...
  10. M

Installed dynamat, now power windows inop...yet power door locks work...

It's a '96 Sport 2 door. Only thing I can think of is I got the passenger side courtesy bulb accidentally crushed closing the door, and trying to pry the glass out of the holder, the contacts shorted and it may have fried a fuse...haven't checked those yet. But neither power window works now...
  11. M

Custom color paint schemes for a Sport?

1996 Sport 4x4, currently dark green and faded gray plastic moulding. About to embark on a paint adventure, was trying to get some ideas. I'm gonna throw some Ion Alloy Type 138 17x8 wheels on it and 275/55/17 tires, so I'm looking for something that would compliment silver/black 5 spoke...
  12. M

Removing wheel lip mouldings on a Sport?

Yes those are what I'm referring too, I have the step bar under the door too, good to know that can be removed, I just don't like how the flares emphasize the smallish wheels, though I am getting some -5mm offset 17x8s with 275/55 rubber maybe that will help push them out more I hate how so many...
  13. M

Removing wheel lip mouldings on a Sport?

I have a dark green sport with dark colored, faded, plastic mouldings which emphasize the tiny, unstable rear wheel track width as it is and look stupid. So can I remove them cleanly, or would they leave behind mounting holes or glue or something even uglier?
  14. M

HELP please. Fuel Pump dilema

Damn, I didn't realize the fuel pumps were so crappy on Explorers, I had a similar problem when it's cold out, one morning I spent half an hour trying to start mine, no luck.....later that afternoon, she started right up like nothing...Fortunately I have access to a full service shop where I can...
  15. M

Bad O2 sensor causes stalling at idle?

I beleive all the 4.0s have a total of 4 O2 sensors, I had to replace one of mine recently, and as it turns out the hardest part of the whole job was unplugging the wiring harness from the sensor. But it was $50 and it fixed that particular DTC, however other problems surfaced which the dealer...
  16. M

Can my transmission take a little extra power?

So I'm planning to rebuild my 4.0 OHV, while I'm at it, I plan to throw in a 410 or 422 cam, heddman headers, performance chip, ram air intake, cat-back straight pipe exhaust w/ glasspack and maybe high comp pistons IF I can get away with it. Question is, I figure it'll boost power by about...
  17. M

94 Explorer help. Possible fried PCM or Cam sensor

I'm no expert in the matter, but for what it's worth, both parts can be had for a small price on automotix.com, ECU is like $80, probably much less for a cam sensor...
  18. M

Would a bad O2 sensor cause a misfire, rough idle, and power loss?

So I replaced the O2 sensor yesterday, cleared the codes, then the P0304 misfire code came up again though it took 2 days of driving...however, this morning it wouldn't start, I don't believe there's any fuel in the engine. I took off the braided fuel supply line right next to injector #1 and...
  19. M

When I get time, I'm gonna give it a once over myself, and plugs/wires are the first things I'm gonna check, then gonna test compression while I got the plugs out, test the coil/voltage, I really don't know much about fuel injectors and I'm not really tryin to tear into this motor till next...
  20. M

Hello everybody, I'm new to this site as I just bought an old '96 and need some advice/suggestions...she's got a ton of miles, and an engine rebuild is definitely in her future next summer, but for now, I have a few DTCs that stand in the way of a decently smooth running engine. When I bought...
Back