Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Monroe quick-strut

I used the Monroe quick-struts on the rear of my 02 to replace my broken springs. They seem to be holding up well so far. A lot of people here use the Strutteks. I believe they are less expensive.
  2. S

How to "rotate" the camshaft?

Yeah. I forgot to loosen the right sprocket bolt before I torqued down the jack shaft sprocket, and it ended up moving. I ended up needing to position it back into approximate position with a screwdriver in the slots and then clamp onto it with the vice grips again to hold it while I got the...
  3. S

How to "rotate" the camshaft?

According to the manual, you are supposed to time the cam without the rockers installed to eliminate this problem along with valve-piston interference. When I did my chains, I didn't remove the rockers but just used vice grips (between a couple of the lobes) to hold/rotate the camshaft that...
  4. S

Extremely dangerous problem! 04

It sounds like he is talking about the outside of the windshield! It may have oil or silicone on it and needs to be cleaned with a good glass cleaner. The wiper blades also need to be cleaned. I believe alcohol will work for the blades. Any recommendations for a window cleaner?
  5. S

NEED HELP diagnosing my issue - 04 Explorer

To me, it sounds like you have a couple of unrelated problems. I doubt it is the bearings. It’s not a common problem with this engine and it sounds like you have maintained it well. Anything is possible, but again I doubt it. I doubt it is the timing chains. The cassette issue was...
  6. S

Rear window wiper blade fix

You'll need a small 2-jaw puller to pop it off after you remove the nut. I used a battery terminal puller. Then you can adjust it correctly.
  7. S

Thermostat coolant leak

I have an 02 XLT and it only has one temp sensor. Maybe yours was replaced previously with one from a different year. That would explain why there is nothing to connect it to.
  8. S

PCV Valve on 2002 4.0L V6

I have a late-build and it only connects to a large hose connected to the intake manifold.
  9. S

V6 Oil Filter Used For a V8 -- Major problem?

I believe that both engines use the same filter.
  10. S

Silly question

That sounds like it is the vacuum reservoir. If it isn't leaking, I would just use zip ties or something else to secure it under the dash without spending any money.
  11. S

Silly question

Are you talking about the hard plastic vacuum reservoir connected with one screw and one vacuum line? If so, the one for my 2002 is part number 19A566 with a list price of $108.98. Tousleyfordparts.com has it for $71.93. It's probably the same part for 2004 but you will need to check. You...
  12. S

How common is it to have the timing chain rattle with an intact main tensioner?

The right cassette is fine although I did replace it's tensioner. I replaced the left cassette just because I bought one and had it open. It was in fine condition. It is very quiet now as the main chain was the problem. I always thought that the left cassette was the first to go since the...
  13. S

I had the older 3-leaf tensioner and mine is a late build truck. The date on the engine is 4/13/2002. Perhaps they were trying to use up all of the inferior parts first.
  14. S

I just finished the front timing chains, plugs, and wires on my 2002 Explorer last night. I had the famous rattle from about 2,200 to 2,800 RPM and it started in January at about 128,000 miles. I fully expected to see the main chain flopping around and bits of plastic in the oil pan and...
  15. S

What tools to change upper manifold and valve cover gaskets?

I pulled my intake and right valve cover last week to inspect the right cam chain. There are 8 intake bolts, on both sides (front and rear) of the front and rear intake ports. You shouldn't have to worry about not getting all of them since the manifold should start to move around when you loosen...
  16. S

transmission slipping

You are checking the fluid level with the engine warm and running, right? I would drain and drop the pan and change the filter. That way you can see the condition of the fluid and see if anything is in the pan. You never know what prior owners could have done to it. It's possible that the...
  17. S

Help with my 04 explorer--TC?

Sometimes the auto-4x4 can kick in, if it senses unequal rotation between front and rear, causing strange noises. Check your tire inflation and make sure that the front and rear tires are wearing evenly (the same diameter).
  18. S

What else should be replaced when doing the front timing chains?

I have a 2002 XLT 4x4 4.0L with about 128,000 miles and the timing chain rattle between 2,200 and 2,800 RPM started about 6 weeks ago. I pulled the right cam cover last week and the right cam chain and guides seem to be okay for now. I am preparing to replace all of the front timing chain...
  19. S

2002 Ford Explorer 4x4 problem

Your VIN is one digit short. Assuming that it is should be 1FMZU73K22ZC52442, fordparts.com comes up with p/n: 7E453 (TM-118) which is the exactly the same as the one in mine which I replaced in December, having the exact same symptoms. I bought it from rockauto.com. If you search there for...
  20. S

Press pedal, acts like it is off 02 explorer

Does the engine die or just drop RPMs? If you shift into neutral, will the RPMs increase? Does the engine run smoothly? Maybe check throttle linkage, fuel filter, fuel pump (pressure).
  21. S

Heater Core Valve hose routing

I have a 2002 XLT 4.0 and mine looks pretty much like the pictures posted above. It looks like the ones above are from a 4.6 though. My vaccuum valve is at the front of the engine, under the alternator, but only has one hose in and one out. Mine Ex has manual controls. Perhaps you have the...
  22. S

ROugh idle engine shakes PLEASE HELP

I believe the most common cause of your symptoms is a dirty IAC valve. You can clean the IAC valve and throttle body for just the cost of a can of throttle body cleaner and a few minuted of your time. You can also get some MAF cleaner and carefully clean the MAF sensor. You should be able to...
  23. S

a thirdkey key from ebay

I bought two of the refurbished all-in-one factory Ford keys/remotes from this site: http://www.remotesandkeys.com for $44.95 each. After searching for your vehicle, it should show the original factory key and remote plus show the optional solution which is a newer-moder all-in-one key/remote...
  24. S

Cruise control wont turn on......

On my 2002, the dash indicator light does not turn on when the key is turned on. It only illuminates when it’s actually in use, when driving after the “On” button is pressed AND the “Set” button is pressed. So when troubleshooting each switch, you actually need to drive it and try to turn it...
  25. S

Explorer v6 still acting up

P1132: Bank1 is too rich. P1151: Bank2 is too lean. It’s possible that one or both of the upstream O2 sensors is bad. Also check for vacuum leaks. I have read that the rubber elbow leading to the PCV valve sometimes develops a crack. Possibly check EGR valve to make sure it isn’t stuck...
Back