Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Brake lights work, don't work, work **FIXED**

If its not the break pedal switch and not a fuse, I would think it may be in the wiring. However, I would first make absolutely sure that your brake pedal switch is not the problem. The first new brake pedal switch I put in did not work. I got it from Shucks. I later put in a Ford part and...
  2. S

You simply need a new switch. You won't find a cheaper or easier fix.
  3. S

Tail light and brake light don't work. ** FIXED **

UPDATE - RESOLVED: Traced the problem electrically to the brake pedal switch. Installed new switch - didn't work. After many hours of making sure it was installed correctly and doing more wiring checks, decided it may be a problem with the "fit" of the new switch since it tested OK on the...
  4. S

UPDATE - RESOLVED: Traced the problem electrically to the brake pedal switch. Installed new switch - didn't work. After many hours of making sure it was installed correctly and doing more wiring checks, decided it may be a problem with the "fit" of the new switch since it tested OK on the...
  5. S

No Brake Lights

6. S

Tony, All my wiring tested OK. Both my old and new brake pedal switch tested OK. The problem I'm having is that pressing the brake pedal is not activating the switch. I was careful to install the new brake pedal switch just like the old one came off. I don't think its the installation...
  7. S

Tony, I would very much appreciate it if you could explain in a little detail how you fixed the plunger/swtich problem. I've did all my meter testing and all the wiring is just find. When I hard wire the plug that fits into the brake pedal switch - all the brake light - light up just fine...
  8. S

No Brake Lights

I completed my meter testing and found that all the wiring is fine. I even checked the new brake pedal switch to make sure it worked. What I determined is that the brake pedal switch is "not" activating when I press on the brake pedal - no matter how hard I push. I test both the old...
  9. S

No Brake Lights

Thank you for the quick reply and information. I'm not looking forward to working on the wiring. I understand the fix of stringing some new wire - but I can't imagine rerouting that much wire is a 30 minute job :)
  10. S

No Brake Lights

Folks, I have a 94 Explorer. No brake lights at all. Everything else work including turn signals and flasher. I've changed all the brake light bulbs and just finished replacing the brake light switch on the pedal. Still no brake lights. Any help with the next simplies thing to check would...
  11. S

EGR Problem/Codes

Update Gosh, its been a month and I haven't received a call from the parts department on my solenoid part for the EGR system. When it comes in, I'll replace it. However, since I last posted, I noticed the No. 5 plug is oily which is a clue that I may have a lower manifold gasket problem -...
  12. S

Replacing Lower Intake Manifold Gasket

Don't have pictures, but its real easy to determine yourself. Plug No. 5 is the middle plug on the "drivers" side of the engine. It happens to be one of the easiest plugs to remove on my 94 - so absolutely no problem checking it yourself. In fact, I can see that the plug is oily without even...
  13. S

Thanks to everyone for their responses - many thanks. Shamall, I've read many times on this board that a No. 5 oily spark plug, plus my continual pinging, plug the slow but gradual loss of antifreeze are signs of a lower intake manifold gasket leak - or just improper torquiing. I've...
  14. S

Well, my No. 5 spark plug on my 94 4.0L OHV has been showing up oily for several years now. Retorquing the lower manifold bolts have no effect. The X generally starts and runs great with no lack of power; except, at highway speed it will ping going uphill. I've been through most all the...
  15. S

EGR Problem/Codes

Thanks for taking the time to respond Shorty. Several years ago I spend a lot of time on this forum researching my pinging. I did the MAF, tighten bolts, and a half dozen other things, including seafoam treatment. Eventually, the pinging got to a point I went to a shop that does a lot of...
  16. S

EGR Problem/Codes

Codes came with KOEO. Don't know exactly what you area asking, but the codes came one after another after I pressed "test" button. First one number came up, then it blinks awhile (few seconds) and another code comes up. Eventually, it started repeating a couple of the codes. Anyway, even...
  17. S

EGR Problem/Codes

Folks, ISSUE: I have a 4.0 4WD 1994 Explorer with 140K. My Check Engine Light (CEL) has been coming on after 5 minutes and stays on mostly thereafter. When I first checked the codes with Key On Engine OFF (KOEO) I got 335, 327, 332, 336, and 337 (all EGR related). After resetting the...
  18. S

P0401 EGR Code

94 with code 327 and 332. After doing a lot of searching have come up with exactly the same laundry list that you have. The DPFE sensor seems to be the most likely culprit from this forum; however, the Fort Enthusiast forum generally believes it is most likely carbon build up - which of...
  19. S

Spark Plug Gap

Ping Cougar, Car runs and idles as smooth as new. Got ping at times, usually when its in a higher gear, rpm down, and then excelerate. From a stop with foot on the floor - truck has great pickup with no ping.
  20. S

Spark Plug Gap

Spark Gap - Pinging - Update Many thanks to you folks for setting me straight on the spark plug gap. Makes sense - just wanted to make sure. I will say that, except for the occasional and annoying ping, my truck idles vibration free and seems to have as much punch as it ever did. Actually...
  21. S

Pinging getting worse

More UPDATE Mr. Shorty, Yes, it was plug No. 5. I had read before that this is a sign of lower manifold gasket issue. My lower manifold gasket has been retorqued with no help. I suspect this issue has been with me for a very long time as I have lost "little bits" of coolant since I got...
  22. S

Spark Plug Gap

94 - 4L OHC. Books calls from between .052 to .056 spark plug gap. I'm using Autolite plubs and gapped at .054 I was experiencing ping before I recently changed plugs and still have it with the new plugs. No noticable difference. Question: If a person is experiencing ping, would it...
  23. S

Pinging getting worse

Pinging continued Folks, Thank you for the replies and idea. Yes, I have the 4 L OHC. I did a lot of achive searching and asked a few questions last year on the same subject. I should mention that I have collected a lot of post over the last year on the subject. In addition to what I...
  24. S

Pinging getting worse

Folks, I've got a 94 Explr 4 L. I've got a pinging that I've not been able to get rid of for over a year. Some days, I don't hear it at all. Other days, I get it pretty bad. It doesn't ping at all until the engine gets hot. I primarily notice it at higher speed when I punch it. I've...
  25. S

CD Manual

Folks, I'm looking to buy a CD manual for my 94 Explorer. I see several on e-bay but have had some bad luck in the past with CD manual purchased on e-bay. Can someone recommend a specific brand/vendor? Many thanks. SeamansJones@hotmail.com
Back