Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

4.0l Engine Timing Chain Tensioners, Replacement Schedule

Well... yes i had the same problem with the heat shield. And yes, a $3 dollar hose clamp from Amazon fixed it perfectly. I honestly don't think the rattle (its more like a vibration) is related to the timing chain. But I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this by myself? I mean I could put a...
  2. S

I'm in a similar boat. My '05 S/T has 205k miles and it purrs just fine (800 RPMs) when cold. However, after it warms up it rattles & vibrates; but only when in Drive or Reverse AND while stopped (at a stop light). If I put it into Neutral or Park the rattle goes away; back in Drive and...
  3. S

2005 Sport Trac Front Right Wheel Binding

Well, I don't know what Ford recommends - all I can tell you is my experience. On my '05 Sport Trac I got 110k miles on the original bearings / wheel hubs. And the replacements I only got 85k miles. And again I'm still shocked that when the bearing failed the second time there was no warning...
  4. S

So I just realized that I never posted my promised update to this thread (apologies). The short version of the story is that Yes, it was a bad wheel bearing. And no; I could not determine what brand (Timken or Moog) that went bad first. The long story is this: The local Ford dealer didn't...
  5. S

Vibration while in gear (in D or R); goes away in Neutral

Hi All; I've got my '05 Sport Trac; just over 200k miles. Recently it's started having a significant vibration that I notice when at a stop light. But if I put it into N or PARK the vibration goes away; back in Drive or Reverse and vibrates again. I only notice it at stop lights coz; well...
  6. S

Actually, that was my next question - what brand should I get? RockAuto.com has prices ranging anywhere from $40 to $150ea. Years ago I had a mechanic 'scold me' coz I didn't buy Moog parts... If I remember correctly, when I had the Hubs replaced five yrs ago (85k miles ago) I did one each...
  7. S

UPDATE Ok, so before I did anything today I test drove it for about 2 miles. Wheel does not seem to be binding any more but it is still making the god awful screeching noise. Not constantly; but seems to get worse as it warms up - after I drive over 25mph. Note I'm on a dirt road (lots of...
  8. S

Hi All: Question - on my 05 Sport Trac with 195k miles; I just finished a 750 mile road trip. Everything was fine; arrived at my destination and parked it for two days. Today I started it up and put it in 4-wheel drive to get up a hill (on a dirt road). I don't use 4wd often. After about a...
  9. S

Replacing passenger side rear brake caliper - how do you bleed it ?

So a couple of quick questions on brake bleeding: In the past I replaced both rear calipers and bled them no problem. This weekend I replaced both Front and Rear calipers (and pads & rotors) on my Sport Trac. Question #1; does it matter what order I bleed the brakes? I started with the...
  10. S

Rear Rotor Removal-ebrake stuck?

@intelisevil You know that Auto Zone has free tool rentals; right? -j
  11. S

I know this is an old thread but adding in my experience here. My 05 Sport Trac has just over 190k miles and I finally broke down and replaced the rear rotors this weekend. I should note this was my second attempt - first attempt about 5yrs ago failed and I just gave up at that time and...
  12. S

I gotta say, a picture of the "ebrake tension lockout hole" would really be helpful!! I googled and there are no photos anywhere - and I can't find it. -j
  13. S

Question: I've got an 05 Sport Trac with 185k miles - all original miles. There is no rattle that is mentioned above - but now I'm worried. Should I replace the tensioners proactively? Seems to be an easy job (and cheap, only $60 bucks for a set). I do most maintenance myself; but for larger...
  14. S

Differential oil question

I didn't check my service manual - I just went with the 75-140. I'm not sure of how the heavier weight could cause damage though? I will say this - I've only gone through one tank of gas thus far, but it seems that I've lost some MPGs. On my second tank of gas I'm monitoring the actual...
  15. S

Differential oil question

I've got an '05 Sport Trac, 4wd with 175k miles. Had a leak on the rear diff so I pulled off the cover to replace the gasket. Note that mine did not have a drain plug; only a fill plug. Also note that I got about 2.5 qts of fluid out which sucks coz I had only bought 2 qts. Now I've got to...
  16. S

A/C cycles on for 10 sec, off for 4 sec

I just replied to an older thread, but thought I should start a new one coz my problem does not seem to match anything on here. I've got an '05 Exp Sport Trac that I bought new (original owner). :yelexp: I don't normally use A/C, instead preferring to have the windows down. But my G/F...
  17. S

A/C compressor cycling 2 sec on 5 sec off

Is this related to my A/C problem? First, this thread is 5 years old so I'm not sure if anyone is still following? I've got an '05 Exp Sport Trac that I bought new (original owner). :yelexp: I don't normally use A/C, instead preferring to have the windows down. Buy my G/F likes A/C so I...
  18. S

Proactive or reactive - waste of money?

Well, I do consider myself to be mechanically inclined. I plan to replace the water pump (and fan clutch) this weekend to chase down a squeaky bearing - already replaced the Alternator, tension arm, & idler which cured up about 75% of the squeak. And as long as I'm that deep into it I'm gonna...
  19. S

Popped the CEL cherry.

How difficult is it to change O2 sensors myself? I'm told that I'll need a torch to heat them up to remove - is this true? I've got the '05 Sport Trac 4x4 with 130k miles
  20. S

03 sport trac issues

I had a rear caliper freeze up once - caused my MPG to fall off. You should check that, but doubt it would be 100% of the problem.
  21. S

Thanks for the heads up on Zabteck.com - thus far mine just smells like it's running rich, no rotten eggs smell. That is why I was thinking EGR and/or O2 sensors. One (or more) probably nearing it's end of life...
  22. S

Hi All, I've got a 2005 Ford Exp Sport Trac XLT 4x4 (build date of Jan 2005) with 130k miles. No real problems over the years, worst was front bearing hubs failed @ 100k - oh and the rear calipers locked up around 65k; also the heater blower motor began squealing at about 100k. So my...
  23. S

Thermostat Housing and Water Pump???

Thanks for the heads up. And for only $11.50 I decided to just order a replacement sensor with the thermostat housing. Rock Auto listed a couple different types with different connectors - hope I got the correct one? I ordered this...
  24. S

Thermostat Housing and Water Pump???

question on thermo-sensors Hey guys, I also saw Ben G.'s web site and I'm about to repair / replace my Thermostat & Housing. Question on the sensors - I inspected my housing to see how many sensors I have. It looks like mine has two sensors, but only one is connected - the other has no wire...
  25. S

Air Bag Removal

Air Bag Removal? Ok, I need to ask this question because it's not adequately answered - how do I remove the drivers side airbag on a 2005 Exp? I need to replace a cruise switch so I need the airbag removed to gain access to the switch. I've replaced an airbag on a Ranger before so I know...
Back