Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

6th Gen Modified Explorer & Aviator Photo Thread

My original post to this thread was asking about the availability of a unibody color on the new Explorers, aka the black molding being painted the same as the body color. I was merely posting a link about a dealership that appears to be taking ST models, removing the black body molding...
  2. D

FYI, it appears there are some Ford dealer making the exterior upgrades. I stumbled across this listing. It has a $9000 upfit charge and in some of the photos the Explorer ST appears to have the cosmetic upgrades some of us have inquired about...
  3. D

Those Explorers look great. I would want a little more ground clearance, but other than that I love ether unicolor body and and lower stance.
  4. D

Flashing Brake Lights Discussion

My 2002 Audi A4 had a red rear fog light on the drivers side only that had to be turned on manually as well. My wife's much newer S4 does not. I'm not a big fan of the red flashing brake lights, but the lights do get peoples attention better. I've only noticed a few European cars around my...
  5. D

Thanks. I had seen the Gen 5 paint jobs, but was really hoping Ford would finally my personal request for that to be a factory option. :)
  6. D

Hey gents! I have been considering a new Explorer purchase for a while now but I couldn't get over some of the body lines of the 2020 and newer Explorers. They design lines and options just don't please my eye. However, I have noticed some of the ST models with their different wheels and such...
  7. D

Split Armrest Issue

Revisiting this myself. I've had my driver side armrest professional fixed twice and my passenger armrest fixed once. Both have 1-2" splits again. I know some here have literally stitched their arrest back together and I am strongly considering that. Tired of paying to fix a poor design. The...
  8. D

Can a dying battery be causing other issues??

I had a weak battery that caused all sorts of issues. My easy entry seats which I had turned off would go into motion. The door handle locks sometimes wouldn’t work. Interior lights were wonky. Battery was inspected and physically looked good but was old enough I replaced it. All the issues...
  9. D

Quick Question for exhaust noise

That was an option, but I thought I'd see if I could come up with a fix without making an appointment. I don't mind spending some money to get it fixed, I just hate scheduling appointments. This is likely what I will end up doing though now. THANKS!
  10. D

Thanks! I'll see what I can find for a replacement hanger. If all else fails I can take it to an exhaust place and pay to get something done. But I figured this wasn't a big enough issue to worry about taking it someplace and paying for a fix.
  11. D

I have a quick question... I'm looking for a cheap or DIY solution for a problem related to the dual exhaust on my 2012 Ford Explorer Limited. A few weeks ago I was involved in a low speed crash. A lady hit me from the rear. Very minor damage which was paid for by her insurance company...
  12. D

Split Armrest Issue

For those looking to repair the seam, I've had my split seam professionally repaired twice by a professional who repairs vinyl cracks on boats and airplanes. It keeps splitting. At this point I've given up. It hasn't gotten any worse over the past two years since the last split, but it is an...
  13. D

MFT trouble dialing using iOS 13

I did a search but didn't find anyone else posting about this.... Last night I updated my iPhone firmware with iOS 13. Today while driving I attempted to use MTF to call my wife. I used the same phrase I've used for years. After hitting the Sync button I said, "Call *wifes name* on cell."...
  14. D

Power Liftgate Issues

I've successfully diagnosed my lift gate problem is caused by a small amount of water getting into the power lift gate strut and perhaps shorting something out, which in turn causes the lift gate to open randomly even when the Explorer is turned off and locked. I was quoted $700+ to get the...
  15. D

Power Liftgate Issues

Thanks @peterk9. I have watched the video on the first page but that only covers the support cylinder, not the powered side and if I would need to reprogram something as the dealership hinted too. I was hoping by disabling the power lift gate in the vehicle settings it would prevent the gate...
  16. D

Power Liftgate Issues

Yes, I have always had the same keyfob, however the tailgate has opened a few times by itself when the keyfob is out of range from the Explorer. Unless the keyfob was sending signals to the Ex as I walked closer to it while it was parked in the parking garage the other day. I did inspect the...
  17. D

Power Liftgate Issues

Sounds like the same problem I am experiencing. Last Sunday I went into my garage and found the tailgate open. I thought it was odd, but also didn't rule out that I may have accidentally forgotten to close the tailgate or I hit the open button without knowing. I forgot about it until the...
  18. D

Explorer Audio upgrade(s)

If you are going to bother with taking off the door panel, you might as well replace the woofer and tweeter. A lot of added benefits to doing that over just replacing a tweeter. If you think the system sounds like crap, replacing the tweeter will do very little to improving the sound.
  19. D

Aftermarket wheels

I confirmed over the weekend when I swapped wheels. I have 265/35/22 on the after market set. I set the OEM and after market next to each other and the aftermarket was a bit taller, but not much. As for weight different I used the very scientific 'pick each wheel up' method. I couldn't...
  20. D

Aftermarket wheels

I knew someone would ask and I wouldn't have the answer off the top of my head. The winter wheels are still on due to this horrible spring. If my memory serves me correct they are the Niche Intake Silver machined wheel wrapped in 265/35/22 Yokohama Prada Spec-X. I'll try to check tonight when...
  21. D

Aftermarket wheels

For what it is worth, I went with a 22" wheel and was able to stay within the ~3% total diameter difference by putting on a tire with a smaller side wall. During normal driving I can't feel any difference in the softness of the ride. Only when hitting potholes or major bumps does the larger...
  22. D

Split Armrest Issue

As posted on this page, I had a professional repair guy fix mine. He is one of the best int eh state and normally does aviation stuff. Long story short, he is good and despite fixing mine twice (once for a fee and the other time for free) the trim has split again. I called him again asking if...
  23. D

Split Armrest Issue

I wanted to give a little update. After a year my armrest has decided to start another crack. Again, this is in an area where I do not rest my arm. I'm sure it's caused by the cold/hot/dry/humid changes here in the Midwest. I spoke to the guy who fixed my previous cracks about one year ago...
  24. D

Faulty SYNC/APIM causing battery to drain???

Thanks for the replies. The one thing I forgot to mention, I found it strange that I do not get a low or faulty battery warning light on the dash if the battery is dead or low on power. I looked through the menus and didn't see a place I could check the battery level. Does one not exist anymore?
  25. D

Faulty SYNC/APIM causing battery to drain???

I'm having a very strange issue. My battery has been draining and causing some start issues over the past couple days. But SYNC and user settings were acting up before the ignition issues. Here is the breakdown of what is happening and when... Sunday: Car started normal. 5 minutes into an...
Back