Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. K

2-Bolt belt tensioner assembly

AH! You're right! I was remembering backwards. My truck used the older one, as well. Sorry for throwing out the wrong info. Glad you found it!
  2. K

2-Bolt belt tensioner assembly

Look for the 2nd gen tensioner. I believe many of the 93s were equipped with a later tensioner-mine sure was. I had the same problem and looked for either a "late" 94 tensioner or a second gen. That was a couple of years ago so I don't remember exactly
  3. K

Really hot weather testing climbing a mountain

Nice job- not only on the stress test but on recording some data to go with it. My anecdotal experience with my first gen is that it is (was) tough as nails. I remember regularly driving it out on dirt roads in the SoCal high desert in 100+ degree temps and leaving OD on (I didn’t know better at...
  4. K

Is this a safe jack point? (picture)

That’s a good jack point and a good area to put the stands. As others said, just move the car so the stand isn’t over that gap. I remember in HS shop class some kid jacking the vehicle up by placing it under the transmission pan despite the teacher warning everyone multiple times not to do it...
  5. K

What part is this one? Vacuum?

Good advice above. I failed to do that and the nipple on mine completely crumbled
  6. K

Desirability inquiry for 4.0 intake hose.

Well then here’s your chance to replace it. How much are the NOS OEM ones, now? $200?
  7. K

Desirability inquiry for 4.0 intake hose.

The intake hoses are certainly an item that most of us have replaced or need replacing, and I have seen threads mentioning holes being worn into the plastic of the intake hose where it contacts the radiator fan shroud. However, the primary reason a lot of owners have purchased that hose appears...
  8. K

CMHSL "Center Mounted High Stop Lamp" repro desirability inquiry

I don’t need one but I’m curious what the price would be for one?
  9. K

93 Exp cam position sensor with sight glass

That’s because Fortune has done so many engines he can set a cam synchro while sleepwalking. Per his advice I purchased a new cam synchro from rockauto for a 96, and used a 3-wire connector he gave me. I had to solder in the new connector to the harness but it was easy. Used the yellow alignment...
  10. K

Stalling issue

Not to mislead, and def check codes but mine had similar issues when the ignition coil went bad. There’s a number of reasons for the symptoms you have described, but that’s my anecdotal experience… If you’re unable to successfully isolate the problem elsewhere, you can always check that coil...
  11. K

1994 Ranger 2WD - Brake Line Lengths And Fitting Sizes

I replaced the rear lines from the block to the R/L wheel cylinders. I forget the size but they make precut, preflared lengths with the fittings preinstalled and I just used my tubing bender to get them to fit. If the length was a little long I just routed them differently in order to get them...
  12. K

1992 fuel sending unit and gauge

I installed a new sending unit, went through all of the wiring and repaired wires and any connections, checked/changed fuses and relays using a multimeter, none of it solved my gas gauge issue. What finally got it functioning again was bypassing the anti-slosh module. Look it up, I think there...
  13. K

Anyone know the book time on replacing engine?

There is a ton of good experience to draw from on this website. I did the engine replacement for my 1993 over a period of weeks so I wasn’t as rushed. I’d definitely recommend you buy a good shop crane and engine stand, as well as a load distributer. A friend is also going to come in handy for...
  14. K

Rebuilt vs Remanufactured

I spent a significant amount of time researching and pricing out the best engine for my money. I’m not a rich man and had a budget of about $2800 for a long block, and could go a little higher if it required less work to break down and ship it. To have another mechanic do all of the work was...
  15. K

1992 Explorer AC question

For 94 I believe it’s 36oz of R-134a and 7oz of PAG46. They make conversion kits with new fittings and some kind of oil but I’m not sure how well they work. I just bought all new components to swap over. It was expensive but thorough ETA: those oil requirements are based on the addition of a...
  16. K

Speedometer "Flutter" or shake

Thanks for the suggestions, fellas. I removed the cluster again and tried adding some oil to the gauge (all of the various types of grease I had seemed too thick). Instead of fluttering it started doing a much smaller bounce and then it sort of evened out, but I'm not entirely sure that the...
  17. K

JP Explorer Toys!

Funny you post this. My brother and his wife bought me that big set as a bday gift a few weeks ago. The Explorer is pretty neat, and it didn’t take long for my 5 year old daughter to promptly requisition both it and the TRex. She thinks I need to paint my Explorer like JP4/5 but I think I prefer...
  18. K

Lol @Simpsons reference. I did not lubricate the speedo gauge itself. I’ll pull it apart again and try that. What should I use to lube it? I drove it today and the gauge itself started making a faint noise. The mileage is ~270k. The issue does not come up when turning the wheel, although that...
  19. K

I have looked at a number of threads referencing the speedometer "bounce" which is what I was experiencing when I finally got my 1993 Explorer back on the road after a decade of sitting. I would get up to 35 mph or so and it would bounce wildly around, which is something I've experienced with...
  20. K

1994 Explorer 3G Alternator Pulley Diameter Question?

Thanks so much for that info. I will take another look at it
  21. K

1994 Explorer 3G Alternator Pulley Diameter Question?

Glad that this was posted. I always thought mine was problematic as I rebuilt the OEM 95 amp alternator and it works fine but I did notice that at a long stop, when the headlamps are on and I have the turn signals working they will slow down a bit. It also chirps for a few seconds at startup and...
  22. K

HELP! How to install OEM Fog Lights Kit on a 1st Gen Explorer - E9TZ - 15200A Instructions

Best bet is to try EBay and keep checking the junk yards. Also try looking on the local for sale/offerup/CL to see if anything comes up and you can ask to buy those parts. I found my brackets at the junkyard (in 2014) and yanked switches out of an EB. Sorry but I sold the other switches. The...
  23. K

Chrome cover panel on lower rear quarter.

The fasteners are usually hard to see/remove because of the dirt or coating all over that area. Its just a couple of thread cutting nuts (I think) holding the plastic trim on at the top (also holding the chrome trim on as well) and then a couple of plastic trim clips keeping the bottom of the...
  24. K

94 Explorer Build

That's a fine looking truck. Drive the wheels off of her
  25. K

Pitman arm replacement stock height

Might as well just yank the box and try to get the pitman off that way. Mine was hard as hell to remove. I ended up sticking the gearbox in a press and using a combination of banging on a pickle fork and using the pitman arm puller but with a three foot breaker bar. And that was after soaking it...
Back