Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

Burning smell

Also, check the driver's side valve cover by the pcv valve. Mine was seeping a little bit of oil out of the rear corner of the valve cover and dripping a few drops down on to the exhaust/exhaust manifold. Shine a flashlight in the rear corner where the black valve cover meets the smooth shiny...
  2. M

Rear timing chain rattle - tensioner

Just over a month ago. So, around 1200miles or so. Scary some mornings isn't it? How many miles on your Trac when this began?
  3. M

Excellent point. Yeah, its a Ford part. Oh well, It's only on cold starts now and actually very random. Sometimes it does it and sometimes not at all. It only rattles for less than a minute now and much quieter then before. I've heard others have gone years with this issue (especially 03 and...
  4. M

How to: Rear Timing Chain Tensioner Replacement

updae" rattle is back. Not as bad. But it's back none the less. Rattle is still from the rear of the block. Haven't done the front tensioner yet. :(
  5. M

Rear differential-cause of failing ?

Everything is working fine now. Long story. Anyway, the more I think about it- lining the drive shaft up against the diff flange they way the factory did shouldn't matter. The drive shaft is balanced separately off the diff flange. I don't think it matters. As long as you have the u-joints the...
  6. M

Pics of painted bumper inserts and side rail inserts

Update: side step rails are still looking great! But, the rear step pads faded and cracked. The sun beats on it all day. That is the only explanation I have that the side ones are great and the rears failed. Anywho, bought new rear step pads from Tasca.
  7. M

Well, that didn't last long:( Rattle is back. Not as bad. But, still coming from the rear of the block. Still need to do the front.
  8. M

new to the st

Welcome:thumbsup:
  9. M

I did the rear tensioner today. Here's a few videos I shot along the way. I don't know if it will help anyone or not. But, the videos have a few observations and some before and after sounds that may be interesting none the less. Enjoy. They may be a little out of order. Also, there is a very...
  10. M

How to: Rear Timing Chain Tensioner Replacement

Great thread. Thanks 2000StreetRod and everyone! I did the rear tensioner today. Here's a few videos I shot along the way. I don't know if it will help anyone or not. But, the videos have a few observations and some before and after sounds that may be interesting none the less. Enjoy. They may...
  11. M

Confused, issue after fuel injectors swapped

Have you done this? Video: How To Clear your PCM'S Memory on Fords After Repairs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZAsoqmqhdM
  12. M

Steering wheel off center after PS rack and pump change? (Long)

2 local NTB's took 4 (maybe 5 IIRC) tries to get my steering wheel straight. Long story. Basically one place had a tech with no experience and the other place's "rack" was out of calibration. Blah Blah. Eventually, a good tech and a good machine(they had two) got it done. The last time I rode...
  13. M

Fuel pressure loss

Update: a week after this post, I dumped 1/2+ a can of Seafoam and premium gas in the tank and went out and did a few WOT's and over the next few days. Believe it or not, I have not had any issues since. Starts right up every try. No more having to prime the fuel pump a few times before...
  14. M

O2s wave form

Thanks Bud. I'm actually in the middle of helping "a lil old lady" at work with her Silverado running lean and random misfires,etc. The last few months I've been studying so much on o2's and fuel trim, I'm obsessed with it. Also have watched hours and hours and hours of ScannerDanner's youtube...
  15. M

Need better brakes!

Whatever you decide to get...FLUSH the entire brake system if it's been awhile(3 years or more) at ALL wheels. You will notice a great improvement no matter what pads/rotors you have on there. :thumbsup: Any moisture that has gotten into the brake fluid(this happens naturally-through a small...
  16. M

O2s wave form

I see nothing wrong with these readings. In short and over-simplified, if you were to look at these voltage readings in a shorter time base/frame rate (imagine stretchering that red line(B1S1) until it resembles a smooth wave) that green line (B1S2) would essentially be a straight line. Like it...
  17. M

Body Mount Shrinkage and Compression

Thanks for the clarification. Yup, I was just looking up the specs a moment ago in the FSM. You are correct. Thanks for the links. I'll be studying up. Again, very happy for you that you got this done. I know you've been researching and helping others with this for sometime. I just read Hughs...
  18. M

Thanks for the vote of confidence guys:) You nailed it. The level of involvement has put this at the bottom of the "to-do" list for quite some time. Also, I thought I remember Todd Z mentioning something about breaking a bolt and had to search the entire country for a OEM replacement. (NY...
  19. M

:thumbsup:Great job Steve! I'm jealous. I've yet to tackle this one.
  20. M

2004 Sport Trac Fog Light

Rockauto.com. $22 They are all glass lenses as far as I know. I ordered either the TYC or Various MFR(manufacturer). I cant remember at the moment. It was glass. You can always call Rockauto to be sure before ordering. They have great customer service.
  21. M

Considering a 2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac

:thumbsup: Keep her maintained well and she'll treat you right for many, many years to come. Best vehicle I've ever owned
  22. M

Rough Idle..... No CEL/Wrench

Hmm. Hoped that would do the trick. Give it a day or two of driving though. Maybe check the egr system next.
  23. M

We'll assume the MAF is good to go. Definitely do the steps in the video. Especially the relearned idle values(2:25 in the video) The procedure is in your owners manual aswell.
  24. M

I see no mention of you doing a the throttle body relearn procedure. Very important after any repair. Also, was your new MAF a n OEM Motorcraft? http://youtube.com/watch?v=hZAsoqmqhdM
  25. M

parts for 2001 sport trac

I like rockauto.com. Always compare pricing to amazon.com(free shipping) . Rockautos part numbers/fitment guide are usually accurate. Amazon's vehicle fitment can be a little squirrely. Important- since you have an 01, find out your build date for ordering parts. There was a job1 and a job 2...
Back