Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. Z

Starter Doesn't Respond

So it turned out to be a combo of problems. First the starter solenoid was bad. A new starter unit fixed that. The other problem is with the auto shift cable. It doesn't always push the tranny into park. I have to climb under the truck and manually pull the lever into park. I'm going to try and...
  2. Z

Starter Doesn't Respond

I might have touched the shift lever. I don't remember. Is this sensor screwed into the side of the tranny like a temp sensor? Cheap to replace? Could it be bypassed by connecting the wires running to it? It sucks that it's not just out in my driveway. Thanks for your help.
  3. Z

Starter Doesn't Respond

Is there any switch that knows if the tranny is in park?
  4. Z

Starter Doesn't Respond

Seems like a good way to tackle the problem if it is the Starter/solenoid. What do I do next if it's not that?
  5. Z

Starter Doesn't Respond

I've had the Explorer ('92) in storage for over a year. I put a new battery and went to start it. It turned over fine. Rrrrr, rrrrrr, rrrrr. But wouldn't start. Then I remembered that I had the fuel pump kill switch engaged. So I flip the fuel pump on and then when I turn the key the starter...
  6. Z

92 EX going to Burning Man as art car, many questions and pictures.

Trying to sell it as a whole. What you don't need a giant carton of milk and bowl of cereal?
  7. Z

We're not bringing it this year. Taking a break. Actually it's for sale if you want to buy it. :D Working on this project instead. http://www.trojanhorse2011.com/ I'm in the blue shirt and gloves in the second from the bottom pic. If you care. I know some people working on the giant clock...
  8. Z

New Navajo Truggy build

I'm not sure how well this would work for your rig. But there was a mod people were doing some years ago. On top of the stock leaf stack you would add the top leaf from a Ranger leaf set. Then cut the eyes off the original top leaf. It was supposed to allow for a softer ride, to a point. Never...
  9. Z

Is draining radiator enough to prevent freeze?

It's not a matter of cost. It's more about the 16 hours of driving. Even if I did manage to get a gallon of anti-freeze in the system will it mix properly without starting the car?
  10. Z

Is draining radiator enough to prevent freeze?

My 92 is being stored remotely in the high desert of California. About 8 hours away. It gets below freezing on a regular basis in the winter there. Here's my problem. It currently only has water in the cooling system. I'm afraid of freezing wrecking the engine. How much water would be left in...
  11. Z

RangerX- at one point. For a very short period of time we had about 25 people combined in the bowl and carton. It took a while to get going because I had blocked the accelerator so it would only go 5mph. But we did okay otherwise. After that we decided on a maximum of 12. Just so things didn't...
  12. Z

I'm back. And almost all the gear and costumes have been cleaned of their playa dust and have been put away for next year. So I finally ave a littel time to post some links to some pics (damned flickr). Here we are parked at night at the Department of Mutant Vehicles. I think this is sort of the...
  13. Z

Watt9386, if you want to buy the whole thing you can have the hubs. You get front and rear lockers and a giant ass bowl too. :) icecube498 it's going to Burning Man. Tomorrow morning in fact. I didn't get any more pics. But I'll get a bunch at BM that I'll post links to when I get back.
  14. Z

Don't go all sappy on us GuardianSport.
  15. Z

KPSquared- we already have a generator tucked inside (honda eu1000i nice and quiet) but we didn't want to run it during the day. It's mainly for lighting. We don't know exactly how much it weighs but I didn't notice any real sag. Even with 8 people in it for testing. When I gutted it I removed...
  16. Z

Can I connect 6 and 12 volt batteries together?

I'm going to be driving my Ex for a long time at idle or thereabouts. That means the alternator won't be charging. An overdrive pulley only increases 33% which still isn't enough. So I was thinking of increasing capacity. I have two 6 volt rv batteries that I could connect in series to make 12...
  17. Z

I'm looking for a little help with the charging system. We will be driving around just above idle. Which isn't enough to charge the batteries. So I was thinking of trying to increase the battery storage capacity. I happen to have two 6 volt rv batteries. So I was thinking of connecting them all...
  18. Z

Been really busy. But here's some more pictures. I'll have some pics of the remote steering system and some other details hopefully by Friday. Flickr seems to have changed it's rules and I can't seem to imbed photos anymore. So here's the links...
  19. Z

More pictures. They're a little behind where we actually are on the project but I'll get you caught up as soon as I get the pics. Bowl being mounted Setting up exit slide mock up Carton taking shape Inside of bowl looking towards carton and original Explorer cab
  20. Z

So my reading retention sucks apparently. my pos mounty thanks for pointing out I already posted the info.Doh! Damarble, I have no idea if it's going to work. In fact my biggest fear is that the power window controls will sense resistance when it comes into contact with the pedal and stop the...
  21. Z

Updates coming soon. Until then, can anyone tell me the weight capacity of the stock front axle with 3.73's? I couldn't find the info anywhere and my doors are gone so I can't check myself.:)
  22. Z

Superlift 5.5 install $@*&#!!

That was a long time ago. Good luck with your install. Here's what my X is doing now. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262019&highlight=burning+man
  23. Z

Here are some more updates for those that are following along. The bowl is in the process of being covered. I was hoping to cover it with strips of wood like lathe and plaster. This would conform to the 3 axis of the bowl better and allow for easy fiberglassing. But we couldn't get it figured...
  24. Z

Front wiper motor is gone. Sorry. Hatch one is available.

Front wiper motor is gone. Sorry. Hatch one is available.
Back