Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

Engine idle speed

Check MAF and IAC. To check IAC let the engine idle and unplug it while its idling. it should completely die. If no change at all then it is prob bad. Also since you just replaced it take some starter fluid and spray around the iac to make sure it got a good seal and is not sucking in any...
  2. M

Rough Idle HELP

Injecter cleaner doesn't help tried many different ones and have ran seafoam through it many times. Double checked all plug wires and just changed them Friday and didn't really change anything. I have not ran a compression test. I will do one soon enough. It is just very difficult to get the...
  3. M

Rough Idle HELP

Put a new battery in after i tested mine and it was bad. It starts a lot smoother and idles a little better but still not impressed yet. still has a "miss" to it. any ideas?
  4. M

Rough Idle HELP

Fuel pressure was fine already checked it.
  5. M

Rough Idle HELP

Took it to a local mechanic and they could not find anything wrong with it. He said it could be a coil pack but I don't really want to blow $80 and find out that it's not the problem! Any ideas?
  6. M

Rough Idle HELP

IAC is good. I unplugged it while it was idling and it caused the explorer to stall out meaning the IAC is doing its job. But if the IAC were faulty would it still work partially?
  7. M

Rough Idle HELP

No it idles bad when it is both cold and warm but worse once it warms up. If give it a little gas when it comes back down to idle sometimes it will act as if it is going to stall.
  8. M

Rough Idle HELP

Fuel filter is fairly new. All the small stuff has been done such as seafoam in fuel and intake through IAC hose. Under load it struggles a lot compared to what it used to. Also fuel mileage has gotten horrible.
  9. M

Rough Idle HELP

I have a 1999 4.0 SOHC with aftermarket exhaust and CAI that has a rough idle. It has stalled a couple times on start up and also has the timing chain "tick" in one of the front chains. When driven it feels as if it has lost power and gets horrible fuel mileage now. No CEL codes and no lights...
  10. M

1998 Popping noise front end when moving

I have a popping noise when I hit any bumps, and if I drive down a straight road and cut the wheel back and forth it will pop. I can barely feel it in the floor board of the drivers side and have put new upper and lower ball joints, new sway bar mounts and bushings and tie rod ends are good...
  11. M

2004 Explorer 4.0L SOHC Rough Idle/Stalling

Also clean MAF, Idle Air Control valve, throttle body, etc. just use brake cleaner. When cleaning the MAF be careful not to damage the inner wire. A new sensor is not cheap!
  12. M

2004 Explorer 4.0L SOHC Rough Idle/Stalling

Check fuel pressure. Could be fuel pump issues.
  13. M

2003 Explorer 4.6 slow to start

What did you do different biswredt?
  14. M

99 Explorer Sport Sputters in Gear Idles Rough Stalls

Sounds like a wiring issue. I would wait and see if it happens again. If it does then you may need to check issues with with the egr itself or a wiring problem somewhere.
  15. M

2003 Explorer 4.6 slow to start

Mine does the same thing. Most of the time just turn the key to the on position and let it sit for around 3 sec. It should crank right up. This allows it to build fuel pressure.
  16. M

99 Explorer Sport Sputters in Gear Idles Rough Stalls

Check your IAC valve (Idle air control). To check it simply unplug it while the car is idling. If it starts to idle real bad after unplugging it than the IAC is good if you do not see a difference then the IAC is bad.
  17. M

How to: Default Overdrive OFF modification

Just wondering but wouldn't this cause you to get less mpg? I mean i still think it's pretty cool though.
Back