Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

Anything else to look forward to?

Well, the steaming pile of garbage has been put out to pasture. After another engine pull and timing set by my father, and 2 more years of use, the Transmission finally gave up the ghost. Its last 2 years were probably its hardest. Now my final ford sits out in the back 40 to rust to nothing...
  2. T

Purge and EGR valves replaced but light comes back on.

Check the EGR valve. Lots of bad new parts out there. I got a defective one from rock auto.
  3. T

Aloha, Hawaii newbie. Needs help!! I put an 01 ranger 4.0 into a 04 sportrac seemed to hook right up wiring wise but no crank???

You gotta strip it to a long block and put all the components from the original on the replacement.
  4. T

Dampener timing marks vs. cam

Cam sprockets arent fixed to the cams so they could be damn near anywhere if the chain slipped, or if the sprockets came loose.
  5. T

2010 4.0L - Brief Squeak/chirp at startup

Redesign, Ha ha. Good one.
  6. T

2000 4.0 SOHC xlt

Dont do it.
  7. T

Ford didn't take advice from their own engineers - I will and YOU should too

Parents had a 91 explorer that ended up on its roof driving back from work when we were kids. Doesn't take a J turn, just some black ice. They also had a 97 blazer that ended up on its roof, but that was after a couple chugs stole it and used it as a crack house for an evening while joy riding.
  8. T

Balance Shaft hardware question

Yes its a dealer only part. They run around 14 bucks and are torque to yield so they should be replaced. Not sure about the part number.
  9. T

Found Parts in oil pan...timing chain guide?

Pull the valve covers and have a look. if the rear one is pooched the engine is coming out. Its on the way out.
  10. T

Anything else to look forward to?

Oh christ, that was just the beginning.... Lol.
  11. T

Coolant leak. I need some help here folks

Rads are cheap. Drop in a new one if the tank is leaking.
  12. T

Towing Question

Factory class 3 has towing package with shorter gears.
  13. T

Trans fluid leaking at radiator. How to repair?

There is a quick connect in there.
  14. T

There is a plastic tank on the left and right side of the metal rad. The seams give way and leak.
  15. T

Towing Question

What size hitch hole in the back?
  16. T

Check the valley. If its green it's probably the thermostat housing. If not the plastic tanks like to separate from the metal housing and leak. My guess is one of the two.
  17. T

Motor Swap Questions

Strip it to a long block and swap everything over. Long block - Wikipedia
  18. T

Trans fluid leaking at radiator. How to repair?

New rad by chance? TYC or Spectra? Their o-rings and fittings suck. i kept the ones off my original and swapped them. No more leaks.
  19. T

Land Rover LR3 SOHC V6

Either way that engine needs to come out. According to the book that's a 15 hr job. Pitter patter :)
  20. T

2003 SOHC 4.0 timing kit repair

On the 07 sport trac there is about 6 inches of room between the condenser and the engine when you pull it with the fan off. Not sure about the explorer. I just tied the pump to the battery box and pulled the engine without issue.
  21. T

Land Rover LR3 SOHC V6

I'm in the process of cutting the balance shaft on mine. The rear cassette survived 100K after replacment, the front, not so much. .
  22. T

Any happy stories on a V6 SOHC after changing the timing chains?

I got close to 100k out of my engine tech set. its sitting in the garage now, with the front end torn down waiting until I have some free time to put in my cloys set. With any luck it will be up and running by sunday.
  23. T

Land Rover LR3 SOHC V6

Your not to far. SGI has pretty cheap mustang 4.0L, and they seem to be in better shape than the ones from the SUV's. I think there was one in Battleford SGI not to long ago. for a little over a grand, you could do a drop in.
  24. T

Timing Chain issue?

Nope, But the eco boost likes to play the same trick the old chrysler intrepeds did and their internal water pump, much like the one chrysler was taken to court over likes to blow the seal and fill the crank case with water destroying the entire engine.
  25. T

Constant Low Battery

Mine did that, it was the main starter wire that was pinched by the water pump after I changed it. eneded up taking it all apart and soldering it back up. Works well now. You could try dunking the cable ends in baking soda and water for a bit as well, they could be corroded.
Back