Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

Free 2002 Explorer/Mountaineer factory manuals

The manuals are gone
  2. R

Free 2002 Explorer/Mountaineer factory manuals

I have both volumes and a wiring diagram book for free, you pay shipping via paypal from 08805 (at worst they should all fit in a large flat rate box, ~$20). Or you can pick them up in Bound Brook NJ if you're local. PM me. Mods, apologies but I am not elite so I can't post in FS forums...
  3. R

Rear rotor Damage again

Those don't look too terrible. At worst the rear pads will be eaten up a little quicker and/or have an unusual wear pattern. Based on that, if you were to replace the rotors now you should replace the pads too. IMO it's not worth the money as they are still functional (no rust). I've had...
  4. R

2004 4.0 Engine swap

Thanks for the updates, this will help out a few people I'm sure!
  5. R

2002 4x4 problems

The front shaft will spin because there are no front wheel hubs to unlock (such as those found in older vehicles), so it's all "live" into the transfer case. Is there any other indication that it's stuck in 4hi? If so check your tire pressure and measure the diameter of each tire at the proper...
  6. R

2004 4.0 Engine swap

I've seen many times that "any SOHC 4.0 will work" but I'm never 100% comfortable with that statement. I guess you just need to trust the few people that claim success stories with these swaps. In my area I can find 50k motors for $1600-2200 if I search 2006+ Explorers. That sounds much more...
  7. R

Battery drain -story again, 6CD player?

Does removing any one of those fuses on its own impact the remaining drain on the other 2 circuits? Do wires from these circuits travel through any common conduits? Have you tried unplugging any of the individual audio components to see if there's a change? I can imagine some sort of...
  8. R

2002 4x4 problems

Glad you got it working! My truck finally felt like a real truck when I got 4x4 back. I had similar problems after resetting. I would press the 4hi button and the dash would light up, but as soon as I took my foot off the brake the whole 4x4 system was dead until I turned the ignition...
  9. R

4 X 4 Issues?

Some background (in case you aren't aware): The transfer case contains an electronic clutch that applies power to the front wheels. Switching to 4hi engages this clutch, while switching to 4low engages this clutch and also engages the transfer case shift motor to put the transfer case in low...
  10. R

2002 4x4 problems

That's probably why, hopefully the 4hi disengagement was a fail safe and nothing was ruined. Try it again on dirt or gravel to see if it engages, if it does then put it back in auto mode. Only turn on 4hi if you're off road or on snow covered roads. Might have a chance to test it out tomorrow...
  11. R

2002 4x4 problems

Finally got my 4x4 working a few weeks ago. I was hesitant to blindly replace the module since there doesn't seem to be too much troubleshooting you can do in your driveway. I found one on amazon for ~$155 and decided to bit the bullet, and that fixed it. It's been much better so far even though...
  12. R

2002 4x4 problems

Were you driving on clean pavement with 4x4 Hi on?
  13. R

Feels like the brakes on in 4wd

You're probably winding up the drivetrain. As stated above you can only use 4Hi when tires do not have direct contact with pavement. The front and rear will never spin at exactly the same speed in 4wd. This is not a problem when the tires can slip a little bit to compensate (such as on snow...
  14. R

Engine problem

Glad we're all here to help each other. I don't see the op complaining (or anyone else). You have to consider that there are very few places to work on your car in the Bronx or most of the remaining NYC area. I'm sure the mechanics take that into consideration when they give you a quote...
  15. R

What's on your Explorer to-do list?

I know you've got to have one :D I received my 2002 Explorer at no cost from my in-laws last fall. I was carless after I turned in a lease, and the truck is a good option for my daily 2 mile round trip commute so I gladly accepted. With 156k on the clock it's not without flaws. We're moving...
  16. R

How many miles on original 3rd Gen Tranny?

156k on my 2002. Not sure about prior service but I don't think anything has been done to the trans (including fluid changes). I get occasional odd shifts (slow 1-2 when it's cold, really soft and sloppy 1-2 under heavy throttle) along with some clunking into reverse or drive. I need to...
  17. R

Buying an explorer

Run from the 2002
  18. R

Weak air flow from floor vents

Mine takes forever to warm up too (4.0) which is also annoying. I'm glad I didn't pay for this thing because I'm about ready to build a bonfire inside it as-is. Between busted 4x4, dying fuel pump, cold feet, dying trans and NJ trying to tax me on this thing I'm ready to buy anything new that...
  19. R

Weak air flow from floor vents

I have a 2002 Explorer w/ manual climate controls. I get plenty of air flow from the panel vents and the defroster vents, but the air flow from the floor vents is very weak. The only way I can keep my feet warm is with the vents on floor only and the fan on high. Any other combos calling for air...
  20. R

Removed broken fresh air door, question about air inlet

You may also want to edit your previous posts to remove the incorrect information.
  21. R

Help with fuel pump diagnosis

I think you're right, I had the issue again this morning. There's power leaving the shut-off switch so at this point I'm fairly convinced power is getting to the pump and it's the pump that's causing the problem. I'm not sure I can get it replaced for $450 in NJ, though I might just do it...
  22. R

I'm finally looking further into this. With the cold spell in NJ this week I've been having more and more trouble. Here's what I'm doing in case it might help someone else. This is for a 2002 4.0. I've determined that the no-start is caused by the fuel pump. I do not hear the pump priming...
  23. R

2002 XLT intermittent starting issues

I'm chasing down a very similar bug right now. In the no-start condition is the fuel pump priming when you first turn the ignition to "ON"? If you're in a quiet area you can open the drivers door, lean your head outside, and turn the key to On (don't crank). You should hear the pump buzz for 1...
  24. R

Switching oil made leak worse?

I'm not sure that there is hard and fast proof, but this seems to be a general consensus: Most synthetics (M1 included) are much more detergent that regular oil, which means it will clean away any built up crud that's formed around your seals & gaskets over the years. So it's possible that the...
  25. R

I tried searching and didn't come up with anything so hopefully someone has a good resource. I was a bit annoyed to open up my service manual to see that Ford has a separate book for Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis. Anyway, 2002 Explorer 4.0 (non-flex) w/ 155k miles. I've had...
Back