Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

Miles per Tank of Fuel 99-01 6 cyl auto

Mine is a 2000 4x4 xlt with the SOHC, 31 10.50 x 15 BFG ATKO's, and 3.73 gears and I get about 340-360 miles per tank, mostly city, consistently. This is according to the GPS. doug
  2. D

5R55E--Mechanical or Electrical Problem?

Yes, I am using a Haynes Manual. So, if it says to check continuity between: 1 and 4 in P or N 5 and 8 in N 2 and 3 in R Should I just bump up one for each test like: 2 and 5 6 and 8 3 and 4 ??? I am just lost here. Thanks again for your help. doug
  3. D

Okay guys first off, thank you for your help up to now. I finally got out there today to do the continuity check shown in the shop manual. Right off the bat, I have a problem. There is no terminal #1 in the range sensor. There are only 11 pins in there. I can't find any continuity at all...
  4. D

BB--Thanks for the response, however, I don't really want to spend a bunch of money since I don't intend to keep this truck more than another month or two. How expensive would it be to perform these repairs? Can they be done in the driveway or would I have to have a transmission shop do it...
  5. D

I have a 2000 XLT 4x4; SOHC and 5R55E; 170,000 miles. For about the last 30,000 miles, from time to time, the transmission doesn't want to go into Drive from Park. It's not that the shifter doesn't move, it does that just fine. Drop it into Drive and...nothing. usually, scoot the shifter up...
  6. D

5r55e problem

Is this up at the top, near the shifter in the column or down at the transmission? I hate to keep asking questions, but I have no idea what I am doing here. On the Mustang's C4, maybe but not on this one. Thanks for all your help! doug
  7. D

5r55e problem

Perhaps a little clarification is in order...There is no damage to the linkage cable, it has just rubbed through the firewall insulation pad. As for the adjustment near the transmission connection, could you be a little more specific about the adjustment? Is it a screw type adjustment? How...
  8. D

5r55e problem

I have a 2000 XLT 4x4 with the 4.0 SOHC and 5r55e. My question is, once every 20 times or so, from Park to Drive, the transmission doesn't engage. I usually have to shift to Park, press the brake and then back to Drive and it works just fine. I HAVE NO SLIPPAGE ANYWHERE ELSE. I have recently...
  9. D

Upper ball joint replacement

I know they are different generations, but on my '00, I had to replace the whole upper control arm assy. for the lower, I was able to replace just the ball joint. Neither were too hard to do, just expensive. Good luck to you. doug
  10. D

Question about CV Joints

I have a recurring problem with a grinding from the front end, as well as a vibration above 55 mph. This is on my 2000 XLT 4x4 with 4.0 SOHC with 153,000 miles and t-bars maxed out at about 2". I replaced the hub/bearing assemblies (both sides) last weekend, and the grinding has diminished...
  11. D

High Speed Shaking

I was reading yesterday that a worn CV Joint could cause a front end vibration.
  12. D

Grinding from front end...

Thanks, Mutineer. I replaced all the u joints about two years ago, so those should be okay, i think. as for replacing axles, I think mine has been off road maybe ten times in its life, so I really don't see a need to replace those, what do you think? I really appreciate your info and will be...
  13. D

Thanks, that's kinda the direction I was thinking. I guess it's time to twist some wrenches... doug How hard was it to replace them?
  14. D

Nobody has any input on this problem? Man, I thought I would get all kinds of help here. I would appreciate any shots in the dark, guys. Thanks! doug
  15. D

anyone? anyone?...Bueller?!?
  16. D

For starters, I have a '00 XLT SOHC 4x4 with stock TT'ed front end and Warrior shackels and AAL on the rear. It has recently developed a grinding from the front end under braking. Let me state from the get go that I have removed the wheels and taken a look at the rotors and pads and all four...
  17. D

My shocks are too short!

Thanks for your replies, guys. The fact of the matter is that the shocks are not long enough to allow full extension. If I jack the front of the truck off the ground and remove the top bolt from the shock, the wheel assembly will drop another inch. The reason I noticed this in the first place...
  18. D

My shocks are too short!

Okay, bear with me here, this is going to be a long one. About 60,000 miles ago, I bought a set of Rancho 9000x's for my 2000 4x4 XLT with about 2" TT and Warrior shackles and AAL in rear. The rear shocks are fine, but the fronts, I noticed, were too short. They limit full droop by somewhere...
  19. D

5th shock

I just got a new set of 31 x 10.50 15 BFG ATKO's and had to go back to have them rebalanced after a week because of the bad vibration coming from the front. The fellow who did the Balancing the second was awesome, and eliminated the front end bounce. I now notice that the rear end is vibrating...
  20. D

BFG 31 x 10.50-15 Users Only!

Hey, guys, just a quick question. What pressure are you running on your BFG 31 x 10.50-15 All Terrain KO's. I am on my fourth set and I have always run 32-33 psi, all around. I haven't the proficiency to do the chalk test, so I am just wondering what the general consensus is on your tire...
  21. D

Need Boston area drivetrain / clutch mechanic, maybe suspension too

holy crap!!! i have been sitting on three new u-joints for about two months now, just too lazy to put them on, but i think i'll get to it now. i am glad that it didn't completely granade on you and drop the ds on the road. you are lucky it didn't. glad you got it figured out. what the...
  22. D

high altitude primary use?....

Does this mean anything special? Is there anything I could adjust to get better fuel mileage out of my 2000 4x4 xlt? It was originally purchased in CO, and it now resides in TX. I was looking at the window sticker this afternoon, and it set my mind to wondering about it. Thanks for any input...
  23. racksalepic

racksalepic

24. rack

rack

25. D

1998 Explorer Sport with Spindle Lift

nice work karlito, i wish i had the time and money to lift mine some more, but alas no. you should really do something about that brake line, you know how i feel about brakes. anyway, congrats, and keep up the good work.
Back