Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

Rear Diff Fluid Change

It may depend upon the system you have (I think the owner's manual describes the options). My son has the All Wheel Drive version with dual range transfer case so the front axle is driven all the time, but only about 10% torque to allow full operation on dry roads without any transmission...
  2. T

Rear Diff Fluid Change

I changed the rear axle oil on my son's 2007 Explorer V8. It is easier than most since there is a drain plug at the bottom and a fill level plug on the rear cover. I think there is enough room without jacking the truck, but we jacked it to change all the fluids. So you just position a pan...
  3. T

Is the 4.0 SOHC a wasted spark ignition system?

The 2007 Service manual describes the 4.0 liter V6 engine as a wasted spark design because it fires 2 plugs at the same time: 1 & 5, 2 & 6, 3 & 4. The coil is a separate unit and connects to the spark plugs through conventional wires. The V8 uses Coil on Plug ignition (COP). Good luck.
  4. T

2006 6r60 trans fluid change.....anyone?

I have not changed the trans oil with a 2007 V8 Explorer with the 6R60 trans, but I have the service procedure to drop the pan and refill the trans if you want to PM me with your e-mail address. The trans capacity is 10.5 liters (11 quarts) of Mercon SP, do not use Mercon V since it is not...
  5. T

MPG display 06 Explorer

According to the Service manual the fuel system is return-less. Fuel pressure is maintained by a variable operation fuel pump controlled by the PCM and a pressure sensor in the fuel rail. The fuel pump is cooled by the fuel in the tank that is covering the pump. I think the message center...
  6. T

2008 Mtneer retractable running boards

This link: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291978 may help you with a repair. Good luck.
  7. T

Trans oil cooler fittings at radiator

We got the O rings from the Ford dealer's box of miscellaneous parts, just matched them for diameter and thickness. The dealer said the O rings were not available from Ford. The other issue we found over time was the alignment of the hose leading to the quick disconnect fitting. The fix for...
  8. T

delay from R to D

The V8 6 speed does have a dipstick, just not a conventional one and difficult to access under the truck. The V6 trans does not have a dipstick or a means of measuring the level. The procedure is to remove a plug (not the drain plug) and insert a fitting to allow trans oil to be pushed into...
  9. T

Gear Shift Stuck in Park

There is a procedure to adjust the transmission shifter cable. That will allow the cable to be detached so you can check for binding and once fixed you can re-attach correctly. The V6 trans is a little more involved (2 procedures) than the V8 because of the external trans range sensor may need...
  10. T

Should I buy an Explorer if so which one?

The threads in the head do not seem to be a problem at all. The spark plug construction itself is the problem. The metal body is composed of two parts: a long extended nose (unlike any you have seen) that is swagged to the threaded portion. The two parts can separate on removal due to carbon...
  11. T

TPMS Module

My son's 2007 Explorer works as Lukas2009 says based upon his experience with a slow leak. The sensor keeps transmitting for 15 minutes after the wheel stops rotating so that would explain the airing up at the gas station. If when the tire was repaired the wheel was balanced (probably a...
  12. T

2008 4.6L LTD AWD question and noise (clunk)

Since you do not have a problem in 4x4 high and low the problem seems to be in the transfer case clutch or related variable clutch apply strategy. There are no diagnostics that cover such a condition that I can find in the manual. There is a single wire to transmit the duty cycle to the clutch...
  13. T

For a properly operating vehicle there is no engagement issue, all 4 wheels are driven all the time, it is seemless. The clutch just changes the torque applied to the front drive shaft in response to wheel/axle slip. My son's 2007 Explorer V8 is very smooth and he is very pleased with it. How...
  14. T

You have the automatic AWD system that includes a transfer case that has a planetary differential and a clutch. The rear wheels are driven directly through the transfer case and are always engaged. The clutch controls the differential to put a variable amount of torque through a chain to the...
  15. T

trans fluid check

Ornery's you-tube video is of the V6 trans that does not have a trans dipstick. But the V8 trans does have a dipstick, just not a conventional one. You will see it as a long hex bolt placed on left side front of trans above the pan when looking from under the truck. Don't remove the bolt when...
  16. T

TPMS Module

When a new wheel sensor is installed (Ford has several models that are not interchangeable) then its ID must be updated to the SJB by a training process. The training process requires a tire pressure monitor activation tool (readily available for about $30) and all 4 wheels must be "trained" in...
  17. T

TPMS Module

The TPMS module is the Smart Junction Box, so I hope that is not your problem. Here is a description of how the TPMS works: Principles of Operation The tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) monitors the air pressure of all 4 road tires. The wheel-mounted tire pressure sensors transmit...
  18. T

Winter performance

Probably something needs to be fixed on your Explorer. I have not driven my son's Explorer in the snow and ice conditions of winter. My son is used to full time 4x4 and says his 2007 Explorer V8 works well. He has Hankook winter tires (came with them) at about 7/32" of tread. He is hunting...
  19. T

Blend Door Actuator?

Are you looking at the coolant level in the overflow bottle or the rad when cap is removed? If it is the overflow bottle the proper cold and hot levels are marked. If the coolant in the rad itself is low it can affect the flow through the heater core and not allow any heat. Check the heater...
  20. T

Radiator

Rockauto sell the Spectra radiator for about $186 (probably same as NORDFORD): http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=996296&cc=1432151 I used one on an old diesel truck and it worked well, no problems at all. It has a 2 year warranty. Good luck.
  21. T

2006 Explorer V8 4WD Gas Mileage Woes

That 19.7 mpg translates to 11.9 liters per 100 kilometers in the winter time with winter gas and extra ethanol and 65 mph. That is good, my car averages about that in the winter time over thousands of kilometers (computer readout and manual calculation). The problem with a one time check is...
  22. T

Help with 06' Explorer xlt - Switching through gears question -

The Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) set when the check engine light lit up is probably still present, but not a current condition. Some of the auto stores will read the code for you without charge. You should get the DTC # because it is a symptom of a problem. Good luck.
  23. T

Truck won't start, 2 weeks after Hurricane Sandy - 2006 Explorer 4.6

The PATS light must go out to show that the key code has been accepted. If the PATS light is flashing or on solidly (different errors) then the PATS has a problem with the key and updates the PCM to not allow the starter relay to operate.
  24. T

Door locks constantly cycling

That's a good question for the dealer, but don't be surprised by a negative response. Here is what the service manual says: NOTE: The steps included in the SJB removal and installation procedure are critical to restoring the vehicle security and tire pressure monitoring systems to normal...
  25. T

Truck won't start, 2 weeks after Hurricane Sandy - 2006 Explorer 4.6

The Park/neutral safety switch is effectively in the PCM on the V8. The mechatronic valve body (Trans Control Module) in the 6R60 contains an internal P, R, N, D selector shaft position sensor to tell the PCM the trans range. The PCM will activate the starter relay if the PATS and trans info...
Back